Page 1 of 2
ill be starting college (UK) tomorrow,

i always feel weird around new people and takes along time to make friends how do i over come this pit, i know im gonna get some **** on here but mehh, wouldnt be the pit with out it...

how would i make friends, i cant hold convosations for sh*t, and i dont know anyone who i know whos going soo ill be there on my own just sittin there

TL,DR- first day at college, how do you make friends and overcome feeling weird around new people, i have low confidence
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Sep 6, 2009,
What kind of collage? What are you using as glue? Remember, the more overlapping edges the better.

I assume your majoring in art (hence the collages) so just talk to some people with similar interests, and exchange info. You'll probably also make some friends with the people you live around thats how it always works first.
Goodness gracious me!
Last edited by Bizarro at Sep 6, 2009,
Every college does some type of induction thing for first years. You'll have more friends then you can remember in no time.

Oh and remember everyone on your course had the same interests as you so good times ahead!!!
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk to people, it really isn't hard if you make an effort.
Quote by kakos

Are you taking any English classes?

Just kidding, you're British and invented the language, so you're allowed to spell everything wrong.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
i swear to god, every time someone starts a thread about going to college, they can't ****ing spell the word. wtf.
Quote by Ice Master
Every college does some type of induction thing for first years. You'll have more friends then you can remember in no time.

Oh and remember everyone on your course had the same interests as you so good times ahead!!!

thank god someone isn't a total dickhead.
#DTWD
Quote by Sopheydood
Are you taking any English classes?

Just kidding, you're British and invented the language, so you're allowed to spell everything wrong.

On a serious note, though, the only way to get better at talking to people is to do it. At first it'll feel awkward as hell, but eventually you'll get used to just having normal conversations with people you don't even know yet and that'll bring up your confidence enough that sometimes other people might actually be the ones starting the conversation.
Last edited by madbasslover at Sep 6, 2009,
Hey man...

When you go into class, go sit by someone. Anyone. Say hello, introduce yourself and make some small talk. What you're majoring in, where you're from. Ask for their number if the convo goes alright, so you can get together for lunch sometime soon.

It won't work every time, but you'll make some friends.
I'm sure your classes will have discussions and junk...just introduce yourself to people.

and go to all the orientation stuff and all the school hosted events
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Aye they tend to have ice breaking things in the class anyway so people get to know each other. Don't make yourself more uncomfortable by dwelling on it.
Quote by Bizarro
What kind of collage? What are you using as glue? Remember, the more overlapping edges the better.

I assume your majoring in art (hence the collages) so just talk to some people with similar interests, and exchange info. You'll probably also make some friends with the people you live around thats how it always works first.

Sorry TS, I did teh lolz there.

OT, ask other students for help with your homework?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
After about 2 weeks of starting, I was friends with pretty much everyone in my class, and i'm not exactly sociable.
I'm starting college on the 14th and that's are induction day and then on the 16th were going bowling. So that way hopefully I'll be able to make new friends ^_^.
So bwahaaaaa =P
well from my personal experiences chances are you will get offered to drink often. my advise is to take that option and get totally ****terd the first time, or every time if thats your thing. it seems to show that you want friends and impresses them. and or you could follow everyone else s advise
If you are living in the dorms keep your door open (when you are in your room of course) so people can come in and talk to you.

Having your door open is like an invitation to come in. So yeah...

start there
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by SMH07
Aye they tend to have ice breaking things in the class anyway so people get to know each other.

Indeed. Just don't laugh out loud when someone says the last thing they bought was a CD by a particularly awful band
Quote by kakos

TL,DR- first day at collage, how do you make friends and overcome feeling weird around new people, i have low confidence

Everyone is in the same boat as you. Therefore everyone is eager to make friends.
When you go into your first lecture tomorrow sit down, turn to the person next to you, and introduce yourself. You'll have plenty to talk about, "what course are you doing" etc kind of stuff, and there's bound to be some commonality there. Invite the person to the bar at the end of the day. Do this in every class you go into.
The person sitting beside me at my first lecture this time last year is now my best friend in college after doing just that. Turned out he was a huge Clapton fan, a great guitarist and an all around fun guy.

The worst thing you can possibly do is not put yourself out there. If you don't go to classes, if you don't get outside your comfort zone, then you definitely won't make friends and will probably end up dropping out by Christmas.
Join sports teams, even if you're not good at sport, it's one of the best ways to make friends. Volunteer with a charity, the people you'll meet there are usually incredibly fun and genuine people. Join a political party, even if you're not political, you'll spend most of your time in a bar discussing the blues with them anyway . Join a musical society, preferably one that plays music you don't already play. Join your theatre society, if you don't act they always need people behind the scenes, it gives you a great opportunity to learn management skills, carpentry, dress making or lighting and sound tech. Run for student council, even if you don't win your class will all know who you are. Get involved in absolutely everything that's going on. Introduce yourself to as many people as you possibly can in your first month, it gets a lot harder to meet people after that.
Make sure that you put in a nine to five day, even if you only have one lecture. It doesn't matter what you do, but be in your uni from 9-5 whether you spend that time in the pool hall, the bar, the gym, or (god forbid) the library, it definitely won't be time wasted. Time spent in bed, masturbating, or watching tv, is time wasted.

Also, if you don't already, use the Cornell note taking system. It's epic.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by kakos
ill be starting college (UK) tomorrow,

i always feel weird around new people and takes along time to make friends how do i over come this pit, i know im gonna get some **** on here but mehh, wouldnt be the pit with out it...

how would i make friends, i cant hold convosations for sh*t, and i dont know anyone who i know whos going soo ill be there on my own just sittin there

TL,DR- first day at college, how do you make friends and overcome feeling weird around new people, i have low confidence

What uni are you going to?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

nah not uni...college

and ... Lichfield

here we go Urbanfox
Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield Lichfield
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

College here is different from North America. It's the 2 years before Uni.
Quote by kakos
nah not uni...college

and ... Litchfield

I think as a minimum, you should be able to spell it...

Lichfield. Now write it out 10 times.
Quote by steee21

Not entirely, I'm starting a Hnc in Accounts and Finance Tomorrow which is a 1 year course and i if i do well enough after iv finished it i can go into the 2nd year of uni. So yeah it is different to uni but its not necessarily the "2 years before".
i just started mine too and i was so scared! anyways, in all my classes we had to introduce oureselves and meet everyone in our classes. everyone was eager to meet everyone and everyone was friendly. just make polite conversation and ask about what courses people are doing and what there interests are.
Quote by stroker93
That is the best deal I have EVER seen Loooza

^ yes, the best deal he has ever seen came from me!!! (Take it as you want!!! )

I LOVE THE VAMP LESTAT AND GUITARGUY01!!!
Quote by Moon1n1te
Not entirely, I'm starting a Hnc in Accounts and Finance Tomorrow which is a 1 year course and i if i do well enough after iv finished it i can go into the 2nd year of uni. So yeah it is different to uni but its not necessarily the "2 years before".

Fair enough.

Although for the majority of the student population it will be.
i started college a week ago, and it only took me a day to find some friends to hang out with...in fact i lucked out so much, the kids i found have almost the same exact interests as me as well as extremely similar music tastes, we're of the same nationality and we all play guitar and we're all in the same dorm. i couldn't believe how lucky i had gotten.

all i can say is, if you have a freshman seminar like i do, use it to make friends. if not, you're going to have to rely on your actual classes or dorm mates to find friends. don't worry about it too much, it's just like high school...at first things will be weird, but after a while you'll really get used to it and the friends will come.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by steee21
Fair enough.

Although for the majority of the student population it will be.

Probably, depends on wether their using it as route into work or Uni. But im up in Scotland so its could well be different down in England.
I've been at college for a week and i've met so many people. I was so nervous about it but i didn't really force it i was just kinda drawn towards certain people and then those people met people and now i have friends.
ED REED BABY
thanks for the advise guys,

and those who pointed out my amazing English skills

is it a good idea to wear a band shirt, get a convosation goin that way ...?
Quote by rgrockr
Quote by kakos
is it a good idea to wear a band shirt, get a convosation goin that way ...?

Not the best, but it works.
Indie band shirts = no, unless your school is full of indie fans
Mainstream band shirts = yes, unless your school is full of indie fans

But don't start friendships with a lie.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Quote by Sopheydood
Not the best, but it works.
Indie band shirts = no, unless your school is full of indie fans
Mainstream band shirts = yes, unless your school is full of indie fans

But don't start friendships with a lie.

why would it be a lie ?

metal bands FTW btw
Quote by rgrockr
Lordofthefood1's guide to making friends in college

1, keep your door open

OK, that concludes the guide to making friends in college

foodit: what is this UK college? Do you still live at home?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by lordofthefood1
Lordofthefood1's guide to making friends in college

1, keep your door open

OK, that concludes the guide to making friends in college

foodit: what is this UK college? Do you still live at home?

yeh you live at home ,

(as you might know) over here you leave school at 16 , then you can get a job, or go to collage/ 6th form for further education after finish that you go on to Uni ( like US collage im guessing)
Quote by rgrockr
Quote by steee21

Really? I had a friend who was from Helensbourgh, Scotland and he came to the US a year after he graduated from secondary school and then he left for St. Andrews a few days ago and he calls it uni.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by kakos
why would it be a lie ?

metal bands FTW btw

What I meant was: don't wear band shirts of bands that you don't really like (this is BS advice for the most part, you shouldn't even own these), and then talk about it.

As for metal, what kind? There's a lot of well known mainstream metal, like Cannibal Corpse and Avenged Sevenfold, and a ton of deathcore bands and stuff, but I don't know if most college kids would like it. If you own band shirts, wear it. If somebody else is wearing a band shirt of a band you like, talk to them about them, and if you don't come off as annoying, you've probably made a friend.

Social networking sites are good too, since you can search for schools and stuff on it, and connect with people who are at your college without meeting them in person.
Quote by kwidjibo1

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Also, if you don't already, use the Cornell note taking system. It's epic.

Damnit, you're my favourite person ever even more now! I've been meaning to find something like this for ages.
Page 1 of 2