I've just had a setup done to my epi lp studio finally because my low e string buzzes a little at times and the guy at the shop said my truss rod is in there all weired and not in there correctly. He basically said my strings would buzz a little because the truss rod is not bending correctly and that he tried but couldn't fix it. WTF I paid 35 bucks for that?

My epi lp is pretty freaking new, got it just this summer. Would I be able to take it back to guitar center (has been 3+ mo) or give epiphone a call maybe?

And the guy at the shop was like that's what you get for a 400 dollar guitar. Damn it I do t have $3000 for a damn Gibson. What's sad is that my cheap used and offbrand acoustic buzzes less. At times I just want to smash it on the ground!!

This is really frustrating guys. Help!
I'd try warranty thru Epi as they cover a year I think. (I'd also question whetehr or not the Tech was any damn good.)
Moving on.....
What fret gives you the buzz?

Also, Epiphone's QC has been quite poor lately. Every Epi that I have touched in the past 6 months have been, well, poor. How is the string height? You should take it back to the original shop regardless.

As for the whole 'no good guitar for $400'. That's nonsense. Sx, Rondo etc. manage to make fairly decent instruments without fret buzz and good intonation for half that. With Epiphone you pay for the Gibson shape and badge. But a $400 guitar should be without serious faults.
Quote by KenG
I'd try warranty thru Epi as they cover a year I think. (I'd also question whetehr or not the Tech was any damn good.)

The guy was the owner of a small mom & pop guitar store. This is my first setup and I've only have been seriously playing for 4-5 months
do me a favor.

fret the low E first fret and the low E last fret, where neck and body meet.

see what kind of gap is at the middle frets.
for example could a pick, or a credit card fit in the area of the middle frets, under the string.

then.
do the same fretting to the high e string and compare.
is there a different gap on that side of the guitar?

i'm not sure what he noted was wrong wt the guitar, but it's good to find out if there even is a problem before going thru the hassle of contacting epi.

if there's a neck warp issue, you should see it when you fret and compare.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
wtf is your tech on about, it`doesn`t matter whether it`s a £400 or £4000 guitar they all have truss rod issues at some point, do the checks as suggested by jj165.

the tech is obviously not qualified as even the most junior tech could sort this out, even if it`s slightly warped, i reckon you`ve been ripped off by this 'tech'.

if it is warped you need a luthier not a tech to look at it, but as the guitar is fairly new i think this unlikely.
Wow you guys are truly awesome

jj1565 I'll do the fret thing the second I get home today

And david i'm in Atlanta man
Quote by jj1565
do me a favor.

fret the low E first fret and the low E last fret, where neck and body meet.

see what kind of gap is at the middle frets.
for example could a pick, or a credit card fit in the area of the middle frets, under the string.

then.
do the same fretting to the high e string and compare.
is there a different gap on that side of the guitar?

i'm not sure what he noted was wrong wt the guitar, but it's good to find out if there even is a problem before going thru the hassle of contacting epi.

if there's a neck warp issue, you should see it when you fret and compare.

uh.. I did it for the low e string when i fret both sides the string touches all the frets except for maybe 3rd and 4th fret and no a credit card cant fit. Maybe a super thin pick but the string would be still kinda touching.

and for the high e string it touches every fret just about.

Could be the nut.

But if the Truss Rod is crappy like the tech says, then Epiphone has to replace it under warranty, because that is a defect.

EDIT:

I just read your action height test, and either you have extremely low action, or your truss really is f*cked.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by fuzzface
uh.. I did it for the low e string when i fret both sides the string touches all the frets except for maybe 3rd and 4th fret and no a credit card cant fit. Maybe a super thin pick but the string would be still kinda touching.

Sounds like the truss rod has been overtightened! The Tech you went to doesn't deserve the title. My be some fret dressing required as well.
Moving on.....
Quote by fuzzface

well the good news is that the results are similar. oh low and high e.

the bad news is that it's not exact, and that the string is on the frets, like said. both are telling.

you can add a little relief. this is important, because it might stop the buzz
and/or you can see for yourself first hand, if there is indeed a truss rod nut issue.

if the nut freely spins, or seems stuck. = problem.
if the nut is stripped, or if the cap is not on the rod correctly, falling off = problem.

have a look.
like said, if you want, on a working truss rod, you should be able to turn
1/4 turn Counter clockwise.
don't dorce the turn and leave it in tune while it settles.

if it turns for you, you note less buzz, and the nut seems to turn correctly, then i'm not sure what that "tech" was on about, or why he left it that way to begin with.

if it won't turn or there was an obvious problem, then he needs to be questioned further prior to contacting Epi.
i would maybe even request a written receipt from him, stating the problem that he claimed was there prior to his adjustment.

lastly, remember that buzz that does not transmit through the amp is generally not considered a problem.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

before going through the ballache of trying to get epi to sort it, get someone to loosen the truss rod a bit. Sounds like its been overtightened. Sounds like your neck needs some relief, necks should go into relief naturally because of the tension of the strings. If you have back bow, then someone didnt set your truss correctly.

I doubt its a problem, but if loosening it doesnt fix it, then id call epi
Quote by jj1565
well the good news is that the results are similar. oh low and high e.

the bad news is that it's not exact, and that the string is on the frets, like said. both are telling.

you can add a little relief. this is important, because it might stop the buzz
and/or you can see for yourself first hand, if there is indeed a truss rod nut issue.

if the nut freely spins, or seems stuck. = problem.
if the nut is stripped, or if the cap is not on the rod correctly, falling off = problem.

have a look.
like said, if you want, on a working truss rod, you should be able to turn
1/4 turn Counter clockwise.
don't dorce the turn and leave it in tune while it settles.

if it turns for you, you note less buzz, and the nut seems to turn correctly, then i'm not sure what that "tech" was on about, or why he left it that way to begin with.

if it won't turn or there was an obvious problem, then he needs to be questioned further prior to contacting Epi.
i would maybe even request a written receipt from him, stating the problem that he claimed was there prior to his adjustment.

lastly, remember that buzz that does not transmit through the amp is generally not considered a problem.

wait seriously? its a problem to my ears
yes, seriously.

it's annoying, but most techs don't feel it's a problem.
the guitar is meant to be played through the amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yes, seriously.

it's annoying, but most techs don't feel it's a problem.
the guitar is meant to be played through the amp.

Some buzzing is normal and as JJ1565 says as long as it doesn't transmit thru the amp you'll have to learn to accept it.
Moving on.....