What distinguishes 11/16 from 11/8?

I distinguish the 2 purely in relationship of the speed of the rest of the song it's in, but is there any other difference?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If you changed 11/16 into 8ths, it would be 5.5/8 lol
Average UG fapper
The pulse of the song I'd say. Just like 6/4 and 6/8 isn't the same thing. Both of those key signatures seem very unlikely though.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
In 11/16, there are eleven sixteenth notes, and in 11/8, there are eleven eighth notes. There's a pretty significant difference.

Take 7/4 and 7/8. If you want to hear 7/4, listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd, and if you want to hear 7/8, plenty of Tool songs use it. 7/4 is counted 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, each count being a beat, but 7/8 is counted the same, except the beats come on 1 3 5 and 7.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by MapOfYourHead
would 11/16 not have 11 16th notes and 11/8 have 11 eighth notes (22 16th notes) to a bar?
Yeah, that's what I said.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by MapOfYourHead
would 11/16 not have 11 16th notes and 11/8 have 11 eighth notes (22 16th notes) to a bar?

Yes, but the question is what would be the difference between 11/16 at say 200 bpm, and 11/8 at 100 bpm?
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
You meant 11/16 @ 100 bpm and 11/8 @ 200 bpm; there is no difference. Being able to write the same riff those two ways allows you to not have to write a riff in 11/8 at 240 bpm, a tempo that is usually faster than you want to use. You could write the riff in 11/16, decrease the tempo to 120, and be good to go.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You meant 11/16 @ 100 bpm and 11/8 @ 200 bpm.

Of course. Brainfart.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Quote by food1010
Yeah, that's what I said.

i had this open in a new tab for a while before i answered and thus, didnt see your post.

Yes, but the question is what would be the difference between 11/16 at say 200 bpm, and 11/8 at 100 bpm?

i did not know that was the question, seeing that it wasnt mentioned in TS's post.

but bangoodcharlote answered it correctly.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Sep 6, 2009,
The two signatures in isolation sound identical if tempos with a ratio of 2:1 are used. When used in a song with multiple signatures, they will sound completely different, as one will be half the speed of the other.
Ah ye thnx.

I used it like that, but I wondered if there maybe was another difference in pulses, like 6/8 to 6/4 etc.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Ah ye thnx.

I used it like that, but I wondered if there maybe was another difference in pulses, like 6/8 to 6/4 etc.

A really easy way to tell the pulses is how the notes are grouped. In 6/4 the eighths are grouped into six groups of 2, implying simple sextuple time. In 6/8 the eighths are grouped into 2 groups of three, implying compound duple time.
Quote by isaac_bandits
A really easy way to tell the pulses is how the notes are grouped. In 6/4 the eighths are grouped into six groups of 2, implying simple sextuple time. In 6/8 the eighths are grouped into 2 groups of three, implying compound duple time.

That I know;

I wondered if there was a difference in this in particular with 11/16 to 11/8.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
That I know;

I wondered if there was a difference in this in particular with 11/16 to 11/8.

Only tempo.