What exactly do they boost? Is it a level boost that they produce, or do they add sustain, or both?

I'm just wondering so I can decide whether or not I want a Mellowtone Custom Hi Five Boost pedal.

Cheers guys!
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
They make you louder.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
If you boost a Tube amps OD channel, you'll essentially boost the gain. From my experience, it's never as much of an actual volume boost as it is a gain boost. Think "definition", "tighter sound" and obviously, "more gain".
When I boosted my clean channel it was just a straight up volume boost... for me, it was unusable, simply because it felt like I was just taking the Volume knob on the amp and turning it up about 5 notches.

A boost is usually meant to boost gain for the OD channel.
What about if I use the boost on an SS amp? Just a straight volume boost whatever the channel?
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
Quote by Chikao42
What about if I use the boost on an SS amp? Just a straight volume boost whatever the channel?

It depends on the amp. If you have a lot of headroom on your amp, it'll just make you louder, usually. If you already have your amp running hot, it'll cause it to distort, which can be good or bad depending on your amp and context.
gain is essentially= to volume.
but, when your "boosting" an already distorted/overdriven/clipped signal (if i wave is clipping, that means it has too much gain to stay clean) it has no room to get louder, so it just gets more distorted and compressed. this is one reason overdrive and gain are often confused.

a boost pedal is designed to cleanly boost your gain. it can make your signal louder if you still have some preamp headroom, or it can just make your sound more saturated. as clapton once said;

Its in the way that you use it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I think on this forum you will get a lot of people telling you NOT to boost an SS amp, and rather save up for a decent tube amp. If you have your SS amp running at full volume, and then you boost it... you'll have a muddy, muddy mess.
Quote by wiredisme
I think on this forum you will get a lot of people telling you NOT to boost an SS amp, and rather save up for a decent tube amp. If you have your SS amp running at full volume, and then you boost it... you'll have a muddy, muddy mess.

Yeah I've got a mosfet but as soon as I get student loans I'm gonna get a TT or a Crate v100 or whatever the gg&a monkeys suggest
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates
Quote by Chikao42
Yeah I've got a mosfet but as soon as I get student loans I'm gonna get a TT or a Crate v100 or whatever the gg&a monkeys suggest

i suggest spending your student loans more wisely. i will tell you know, they are no fun to repay. the only why i would suggest you spending student loan money on guitar gear is if you are studying contemporary music and are extremely gifted and serious about it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i suggest spending your student loans more wisely. i will tell you know, they are no fun to repay. the only why i would suggest you spending student loan money on guitar gear is if you are studying contemporary music and are extremely gifted and serious about it.

I am studying contemporary music, with the idea in mind of being a teacher.
Quote by santa_man99

Quote by DrFuzz

Quote by ilikepirates