on wednesday i got an epiphone sg g-400 and absolutly love it, i am currently still getting used to it.
my problem is since i haven't played for over a year and i have to rebuild my calluses, i'm playing anyware between 30 minutes and an hour a day, basically untill my fingers get realy sore and tingly, i'm thinking of stop playing for a few days as my middle finger has got patch that looks more like a blister than a callus.
so my question is should i stop for a few days to try and let the patch go down abit, or should i look at changing my strings as i've discovered that the guitar was built in may 2007, and has been laying in a box in the store room of the place where i bought it from.
any advice is greatly appreciated
Last edited by britishsligean at Sep 6, 2009,
change the strings and practice
...Fender + Ritchie Blackmore = hours and hours of GREAT music and guitar execusions...
the thing is the strings look as good as new and they were in the foam paper the guitar came and when i tried them in the store they felt as good as new
Quote by britishsligean
on wednesday i got an epiphone sg g-400 and absolutly love it, i am currently still getting used to it.
my problem is since i haven't played for over a year and i have to rebuild my calluses, i'm playing anyware between 30 minutes and an hour a day, basically untill my fingers get realy sore and tingly, i'm thinking of stop playing for a few days as my middle finger has got patch that looks more like a blister than a callus.
so my question is should i stop for a few days to try and let the patch go down abit, or should i look at changing my strings as i've discovered that the guitar was built in may 2007, and has been laying in a box in the store room of the place where i bought it from.
any advice is greatly appreciated

If you have a blister you may want to take a day or so off. "playing till your fingers bleed" sounds cool and all, but really it's not necessary. Your strings are 2 years old? Yeah... change them (maybe get it set up if it needs it)..... start playing again when you're ready.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you have a blister you may want to take a day or so off. "playing till your fingers bleed" sounds cool and all, but really it's not necessary. Your strings are 2 years old? Yeah... change them (maybe get it set up if it needs it)..... start playing again when you're ready.

the strings are on since the guitar was made and from what wikipedia says on the epiphone serial numbers it was made in may 07, it doesn't need setting up the intonation is just about 100% perfect and the string height is nice and the nec is not bowed
when building calluses, you have to give your fingers some time to heal.

so ideally you should play for about 15-20 minutes and then take a break, do not play until your fingers get really sore (if they do get sore then stop).

do this several times during the day and soon enough your fingers should be string proof.
thanks for your advice, i think i'll rest for a few days and change the strings, i'll tty what you said MapOfYourHead