I have been playing Guitar now for about 2 and a half years and have sold my fender strat ripoff and is regretting the loss of a trem on a guitar
I want a guitar with a locking trem on my guitar to use in solos but have narrowed it down to three choices which are:
Jackson Dinky
Fender with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Rg
These are all made of alder (which i prefer) except for the ibanez which ive heard bad things about the trem and strength of the basswood body.

I dont really want to spend more than £600 if anyone recommends a different one but it must have:
Floyd Rose (LFR/OFR)
Alder/Basswood
super Strat Style or similar
Play metal well.
24 Frets
Enough Money left for me to start saving for pickups/gear

Which is Best suited to these and will be reliable? (These will eventually get new pickups in them anyway unless i really like the tone of it.)
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 6, 2009,
A lot of Ibanez guitars are plagued with the Edge 3 tremolo, which is made of some cheap alloy. It'll work fine at first, but after about 6 months, it'll wear out. Also, the pickups on this guitar aren't that great.

The Jackson has a reliable tremolo, plus it comes with Duncan pickups which sound pretty good. You might not even need to change them.

The Fender is good, too, although it's surprisingly expensive. It's an older model, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it for less. Don't know why it costs so much.

Conclusion: Jackson is the clear winner here.

Also, Basswood isn't something you should worry about. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a bit different. It's supposed to be a little warmer sounding than Alder.
the dinky.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by sashki
A lot of Ibanez guitars are plagued with the Edge 3 tremolo, which is made of some cheap alloy. It'll work fine at first, but after about 6 months, it'll wear out. Also, the pickups on this guitar aren't that great.

The Jackson has a reliable tremolo, plus it comes with Duncan pickups which sound pretty good. You might not even need to change them.

The Fender is good, too, although it's surprisingly expensive. It's an older model, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it for less. Don't know why it costs so much.

Conclusion: Jackson is the clear winner here.

Also, Basswood isn't something you should worry about. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a bit different. It's supposed to be a little warmer sounding than Alder.

Thanks a lot butr everyone her complains at how weak trem fitted basswood guitars are or were they just meaning cheap ripoffs?

Quote by britishsligean
look at the ibanez s and sa ranges they've got better tremelos on them than the edge lll

I really like them but they are quite heavy being as they have mahogany bodies and they only have 21-22 frets and as i play lead i really need 24 frets preferably. I might show them to my rhythym guitarist for him to replace his squire which i despise the tone of.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 6, 2009,
Ibanez makes even their high-end guitars out of basswood. Its not a "cheap" wood.

I'd trust Ibanez, however I'd probably go with an S rather than an RG. The S's are mahogany if you care that much, but it does have a ZR trem, which I've heard are amazingly easy to use and maintain.
For £600 you can easily buy a MIJ soloist. And that's the road I would take.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Will using it in all songs like playing most maiden songs be too much for an edge because i heard the Jackson LFR is very reliable for whammying and i tryed and almost identicle one on a Jackson 1986 perforemer and it was awesome
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Tedward
Ibanez makes even their high-end guitars out of basswood. Its not a "cheap" wood.

I'd trust Ibanez, however I'd probably go with an S rather than an RG. The S's are mahogany if you care that much, but it does have a ZR trem, which I've heard are amazingly easy to use and maintain.

Thats one reason I hate Ibanez....I hate basswood. I can get a $1400 Ibanez thats basswood(not very good) with a rosewood finger board vs a Jackson which is alder with an ebony finger board for $1000 plus a hard shell case.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
The Fender doesn't have an OFR, it's a licensed something or another, probably an FR II.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
The Fender doesn't have an OFR, it's a licensed something or another, probably an FR II.

Yeah, and it also has 21 frets when TS wants 24.

Out of the three guitars listed the Dinky is the best choice. I've got the DK2M model which is very similar, and I love it.
Get a better amp first bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by King of King V
Thats one reason I hate Ibanez....I hate basswood. I can get a $1400 Ibanez thats basswood(not very good) with a rosewood finger board vs a Jackson which is alder with an ebony finger board for $1000 plus a hard shell case.

There's nothing wrong with basswood.

There is cheap basswood and there is expensive basswood, just like there is cheap and expensive ebony and alder. Hell i think even the Squier Affinity series that's available in the US is made with alder now and i'm pretty sure that it isn't the same quality wood they use with their MIA or MIM strats.

Anyways TS, I agree with the new amp suggestion but the S series is not heavy.. have you ever seen one? They're made with mahogany because they're so thin if they were made of a lighter wood they'd be extremely unbalanced and have a very thin tone.
The jackson, but on all of those a pickup swap would be a good idea down the road. The strat is the least suited to your needs. The Ibby has the edge 3 which is looked down on so the jackson wins.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg-2570e/67115
Save up a little more and get this. It's a high-end Ibanez Prestige. It beats out all of the others on the list in terms of quality and features. It comes with an amazing trem and great pickups (real Dimarzios). It's the best value of the others because it's a guitar you can keep forever. If you like traditional RGs, this is the best one out. It's actually cheaper than it should be on that site. Definitely look into that and try to get the extra money.
Quote by JELIFISH19
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg-2570e/67115
Save up a little more and get this. It's a high-end Ibanez Prestige. It beats out all of the others on the list in terms of quality and features. It comes with an amazing trem and great pickups (real Dimarzios). It's the best value of the others because it's a guitar you can keep forever. If you like traditional RGs, this is the best one out. It's actually cheaper than it should be on that site. Definitely look into that and try to get the extra money.

Those aren't real Dimarzios, they're DMZ/IBZ pickups.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Those aren't real Dimarzios, they're DMZ/IBZ pickups.

Here's the description from the Dimarzio site under FAQs in OEM and Endorser Models:

DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups
The DiMarzio®/IBZ pickups in the Ibanez RG2120 and RG2570EX are specifically designed and manufactured by DiMarzio® for Ibanez, and they are not available separately. Like all DiMarzio® pickups, they are made in our New York factory. Both neck and bridge pickups are high-output models. The neck pickup is fairly bright-sounding, similar to a Super 2™ (DP104). The bridge pickup is a little louder and warmer-sounding, and resembles a cross between the Steve Morse Bridge Model™ (DP200) and the Super Distortion® (DP100). The R1 single-coil is warmer-sounding than a typical vintage single-coil, and was designed to work well with the neck and bridge humbuckers when they are in split mode. It has a sound similar to that of the HS-2™ in split-coil mode.
I can understand wanting a new guitar first, but dont do pup swaps until you have an amp where it'll make a difference.

It'll sound the same no matter what you do.
I've been on this site for a month now and is it just me or does 99 percent of the people on here have line 6 spider amps? Were they free one day at guitar center?...I honestly never heard of them until I joined here...are they really that bad? And if so why do people keep buying them?
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by rdobson2
I've been on this site for a month now and is it just me or does 99 percent of the people on here have line 6 spider amps? Were they free one day at guitar center?...I honestly never heard of them until I joined here...are they really that bad? And if so why do people keep buying them?

In most cases they are good for practise, but thats really all. So new players with no experience with any gear will be reccomended this "Awesome playing amp with all these FX." they plug a guitar in. they screw around. The distortion sound distortiony so all is well. They are advertised like hell in most shops. or so i've seen.

After about a few months with mine i realized that it sounded really weird. A few EQ changes made it tolerable, but I'm going to get a nice Tube amp eventually.
Quote by siverstorm
In most cases they are good for practise, but thats really all. So new players with no experience with any gear will be reccomended this "Awesome playing amp with all these FX." they plug a guitar in. they screw around. The distortion sound distortiony so all is well. They are advertised like hell in most shops. or so i've seen.

After about a few months with mine i realized that it sounded really weird. A few EQ changes made it tolerable, but I'm going to get a nice Tube amp eventually.

Meh. Thats how I bought my G-DEC 30
Quote by siverstorm
I can understand wanting a new guitar first, but dont do pup swaps until you have an amp where it'll make a difference.

It'll sound the same no matter what you do.

Im going to use the money left and save up for a new amp after i get a new guitar and im ok with my spider at the moment theres nothing wrong with them. I only really use the clean channel on the spider to run my pedal through it.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Rule out that RG [unless you want to swap out the trem].
The Strat has 21 frets. If you 100% want 24, rule that out.
Not sure on the Dinky trem, but IIRC, it's not bad.

TBH, look at a Ibanez Prestige S. They have 24 frets and the ZR trem.
The normal S only have 22, so go Prestige.

Or, as said, get a higher quality Jackson.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Rule out that RG [unless you want to swap out the trem].
The Strat has 21 frets. If you 100% want 24, rule that out.
Not sure on the Dinky trem, but IIRC, it's not bad.

TBH, look at a Ibanez Prestige S. They have 24 frets and the ZR trem.
The normal S only have 22, so go Prestige.

Or, as said, get a higher quality Jackson.

This is only my 2nd proper guitar so i dont want to spend £1000 on a really good guitar when i could buy a good cheaper guitar that i like and put new pickups in it.
I would rather spend money on the amp and pickups than spending just for the name
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Would you be willing to go used? You'll be able to score a used MIJ RG for your budget and generally they come with upgraded pickups so it might be worth looking into if you don't mind buying second hand gear.
The fender is sexy, but i would say go with the RG or the Dinky. Play both and decide which is better for you. Cuz the dinky has duncans and the RG has DiMarzios.
Quote by Dio10101
The fender is sexy, but i would say go with the RG or the Dinky. Play both and decide which is better for you. Cuz the dinky has duncans and the RG has DiMarzios.

The rg has infinity pickups and ive played the Jackson but not the RG the dinky is great but i dont have a nearby Ibanez Dealer in england
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Quote by Random3
New amp TS, then have a look at Schecter Guitars

I dont like schecters i think most of them look ugly IMO and i dont want a new amp untill ive got a new guitar and seen how it sounds because my Viper sounds amazing for what i practise with but i use the schools amps for gigging and they're really good
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
I would take the Jackson because I LOVE the OFR. And, it's hard to find anything more metal than a Jackson.