I want to change the pickups in my MIM strat, the stocks one honestly aren't as bad as i expected, but at loud volumes they lose the clarity, tone and hum a lot. Im pretty set on the Area single coils, but not on which ones for what position.

For the bridge position i'm really looking for a pickup to excel at Eric Johnson/Allan Holdsworth style violin overdriven tones. As far as clean tones, i really only use the bridge pickup for finger picked chords,etc. Would the 61 be good for that?

It seems like the 58 is used in middle and neck, but what about the 67? whats the difference? It seems Paul Gilbert uses the 67 in every position.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
I'd avoid the Area pickups if you want an EJ/Holdsworth tone. For and EJ tone, you'd want a semi hot SC in the bridge with a bit more midrange and less twang than most SCs. You won't get a Holdsworth Sax type tone with a SC. You need a humbucker with lots of midrange and less bass.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I'd avoid the Area pickups if you want an EJ/Holdsworth tone. For and EJ tone, you'd want a semi hot SC in the bridge with a bit more midrange and less twang than most SCs. You won't get a Holdsworth Sax type tone with a SC. You need a humbucker with lots of midrange and less bass.

Can you give a suggestion for other pickups in the bridge? For the neck and middle I am looking for the vintage strat tone. I guess I shouldn't have put Holdsworth there cause i already get a pretty wet, midrangy tone with my Carvin or Jem. As far as the twang on sc's, ill be wiring one tone knob to the bridge to roll down some highs, just like eric, so...
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
I want to change the pickups in my MIM strat, the stocks one honestly aren't as bad as i expected, but at loud volumes they lose the clarity, tone and hum a lot. Im pretty set on the Area single coils, but not on which ones for what position.

For the bridge position i'm really looking for a pickup to excel at Eric Johnson/Allan Holdsworth style violin overdriven tones. As far as clean tones, i really only use the bridge pickup for finger picked chords,etc. Would the 61 be good for that?

It seems like the 58 is used in middle and neck, but what about the 67? whats the difference? It seems Paul Gilbert uses the 67 in every position.

I've heard that the best combination is to have the Area 51s in he neck and middle and the 58 in the bridge.
Quote by Teh GIR
Can you give a suggestion for other pickups in the bridge? For the neck and middle I am looking for the vintage strat tone. I guess I shouldn't have put Holdsworth there cause i already get a pretty wet, midrangy tone with my Carvin or Jem. As far as the twang on sc's, ill be wiring one tone knob to the bridge to roll down some highs, just like eric, so...

If you can afford it, I think it's $300 for Seymour Duncan to wind a set to the specs he winds them for Eric. Otherwise, I've found Lollars to be great for an EJ type tone but they're $270 a set.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Which lollar pickups are you talking about?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
look into the Dimarzio HS-2. EJ used to enforse those pups
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I just looked at the hs2, im a little concerned with the output, compared to the other pickups i would put in the middle and neck. Do you think raising the pickup more than the neck and middle would balance them out output wise?

I just read that EJ wires the HS2 for single coil operation, instead of the standard humbucker operation, I'll have to try that out.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
I like my duncan hot rail!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Alright, well i jumped, and ended up getting an hs2 for bridge, 58 in middle, and 67 in neck.
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
I just looked at the hs2, im a little concerned with the output, compared to the other pickups i would put in the middle and neck. Do you think raising the pickup more than the neck and middle would balance them out output wise?

I just read that EJ wires the HS2 for single coil operation, instead of the standard humbucker operation, I'll have to try that out.

yeah man the output won't be too bad. When you get the pups just adjust the pups higher and lower to get a good balance in volume.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus