So i had a band running for 3 years now. Unfortunately the bandmembers never bother to learn any of the stuff properly. I finally arranged to turn it into a recording project only, because i was sick of having to tell people in practice how the songs go etc.

The guys persuaded me to jam again as a recording project wasnt fun. We jammed tonight and it was cool but nothing had been learned the same mistakes/forgetting parts happened. I dont want to be the guy who is telling people what to do. In addition to that the drummer and singer were just playing over each other randomly. Im not sure what to do. We even have to look for other members because we are only 3 we need 5. Everyone wants to play their own songs but when it comes to other peoples they dont try at all. The music is important to me, and we have got our own sound going.

I got some musicians from other countries to record parts for the songs and it was like a couple of emails working parts out and it was done amazingly well. Maybe i should just stick to recording only (here is a piano part that the girl done with hardly any explanation from me compared to years of repeating myself) http://www.maartengoldstein.com/solo1.wav
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
If its not working for you, tell them that you want to get serious and actually play songs, or leave.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Oosh.
If its not working for you, tell them that you want to get serious and actually play songs, or leave.

This.

I'm going through almost an identical situation. (with only 3 people) but i would always have to tell people what to play, what order to play it in, and we would spend hours working on it, only to come back next practice and everyone had forgotten how the songs went.

After 3 years i finally said screw it, and i've been recording on my own in my garage for about a month, working on a demo. I plan on bringing them the demo and seeing if they'll be able to learn and practice that way, but i won't count on it.

Bottom line is: If you aren't happy with how it's going, and it doesn't get better, then it's time to look for some new guys to jam with. You may have to sacrifice that unique sound you have, but it doesn't even matter if no one is taking it seriously.

Best of luck, chap! Bandleading is hell!
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Quote by BassFishin
This.

I'm going through almost an identical situation. (with only 3 people) but i would always have to tell people what to play, what order to play it in, and we would spend hours working on it, only to come back next practice and everyone had forgotten how the songs went.

After 3 years i finally said screw it, and i've been recording on my own in my garage for about a month, working on a demo. I plan on bringing them the demo and seeing if they'll be able to learn and practice that way, but i won't count on it.

Bottom line is: If you aren't happy with how it's going, and it doesn't get better, then it's time to look for some new guys to jam with. You may have to sacrifice that unique sound you have, but it doesn't even matter if no one is taking it seriously.

Best of luck, chap! Bandleading is hell!

there is no one in my area whatsoever. out of 9 guys who have been in the band 2 guys have liked the same style of music and only 1 guy learned the stuff and remembered it.

ive done midi files, print outs, charts etc but it doesnt do any good. then the guitar player i sacked said 'we didnt reherse' but i said to him i wasnt prepared to reherse if it meant going over the stuff with you for months and he should email me when he has done so THEN we would get together. Porcupine Tree said they rarely rehersed because they knew the songs, and when they come together its about arrangements and dynamics.

i should move to london. best of luck with your recording too.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
Thanks. Hopefully your mates will buckle down, that is, if they wish to enjoy the gift of playing the right way.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
With talent comes responsibility. Some have it, some dont. If youve been jammin three years and this is the result, I'd say go solo, or get a new band. If you dont have any, or very few gigs under your belt, it may be the best time.

If there not going the direction that you are, eventually the bottom's going to fall out of this train. Give 'em a chance, thats all you can do.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Sounds like your bandmates don't know how to play in a band. If you've been together that long and the drummer/singer are still playing over each other, they can't have learnt anything at all - ie. it is boring to randomly play around forever.

Forget them, move on.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Sometimes, you have to be the band nazi. Tell everyone what they need to do. If they don't like it, it's probably not worth being in the band with them anyway.