Page 1 of 2
Bear with me.

Firstly, I know it's a matter of opinion. Unfortunately, when discussing my viewpoints all of your opinions are unimportant.

I watched Pulp Fiction again the other night, expecting to absolutely love it, like I have done all of the other times I've watched it. But then things started dragging a bit, and I started wondering whether I actually think it's a good film, or whether it's just been hammered into my head by years and years of reading how awesome it is on the internet.

It's the kind of film that you like to watch, and say that it's a masterpiece, simply because that's the general agreement.

Have any of you sat there and watched it without that preconception? It's HORRENDOUSLY boring. It goes on forever and ever and is SO slow. I don't want to see Bruce Willis's balls in my life ever again. I used to be a huge 'fan' or so I thought, until I realise that I don't actually like it. So I challenge you to watch it without preconception and ask yourself regularly whether you're actually enjoying sitting there watching it again, and I bet 90% of you won't.

There are loads of things like this. Stairway to Heaven for example. The Dark Knight (which upon first viewing was awesome but seriously flawed by now - although Ledger was excellent). The only hyped film that I think lives up to it's promise is Saving Private Ryan.

Schindlers List?! Pfft. Bring me Star Trek.

Edit: In other news, did anyone find themselves thinking dirty thoughts about that green girl in the new Star Trek?

Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 6, 2009,
Death.By.Penis.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

I thought it was quite okay, still its just everybodys opinion

Platoon -> probably every movie ever made so ...
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're a horrible, horrible person.

only to the people who deserve it
I respectfully dis-agree with you, I really don't find what I read on the to affect how I like things, merely if i see or listen to them in the firs place.
Instead of jumping to conclusions, go and stick it on your DVD player and just ask yourself whether you're actually enjoying what you're watching, or you're wishing you could go online and look at green women.
*walks out feeling sorry for the sucka*
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Be prepared for people who will want to shove a:

quarter pounder with cheese
royale with cheese*

up your ass

*Delete as applicable, depending on if you live in France or not.

I don't give a monkeys. I'm enlightened.

Also, the line you quoted is obviously famous.

Why? What's special about it? Other than the fact you've been told it's special?

Edit: I must admit ctb that was a goopd first post.
I disagree with your theory. When I saw Pulp Fiction for the first time I had never heard of it before, so I had no preconceptions of it.

You complain about the slow pace of the movie, but I love that about it, because it's full of such great dialogue. My favorite thing about Tarentino movies has always been the dialogue, no one else can have a 7 minute conversation about random bull**** and keep people entertained like he can.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Let's flip a coin...

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Let's flip a coin...

Another slow one. Good first time around but if I'd never watch it again and enjoy it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What's so special about you?

Bearing in mind the character limit I'd struggle to fully explain that.
ok.

1-
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Firstly, I know it's a matter of opinion. Unfortunately, when discussing my viewpoints all of your opinions are unimportant.
why are you discussing on forums?

2- i watched/listened to those things you listed when i was less than 13 or so. I highly doubt my mind had been already turned to like them. i watched pulp fiction at 15 i believe and re-watched it many times and i love it. Stairway to heaven is a very good song, the dark knight is very entertaining, never seen private ryan.

and also... you like star trek but think pulp fiction is boring?
I dunno, man. I love it, but it's okay if you don't, really. Really...
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Altough the sound track is pretty shweet
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by kalnoky7
ok.

1- why are you discussing on forums?

I don't really discuss, I rather state.

2- i watched/listened to those things you listed when i was less than 13 or so. I highly doubt my mind had been already turned to like them. i watched pulp fiction at 15 i believe and re-watched it many times and i love it. Stairway to heaven is a very good song, the dark knight is very entertaining, never seen private ryan.

and also... you like star trek but think pulp fiction is boring?

Yep, at least Star Trek was exciting and entertaining.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Bearing in mind the character limit I'd struggle to fully explain that.

See, I doubt a lot of people would buy your explanation. You overhype yourself, yet will probably fail to deliver. Pulp Fiction delivered to a large number of people, and therefore lived on.

Pulp Fiction > You.
Quote by Hobble
I disagree with your theory. When I saw Pulp Fiction for the first time I had never heard of it before, so I had no preconceptions of it.

You complain about the slow pace of the movie, but I love that about it, because it's full of such great dialogue. My favorite thing about Tarentino movies has always been the dialogue, no one else can have a 7 minute conversation about random bull**** and keep people entertained like he can.

Kevin Smith movies tend to have that aswell, but they're in a more cemedy aproach.
I do however agree on you on everything you said.
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
The real question is

Inglorious Basterds or Pulp Fiction

Inglorious is better IMO.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
See, I doubt a lot of people would buy your explanation. You overhype yourself, yet will probably fail to deliver. Pulp Fiction delivered to a large number of people, and therefore lived on.

Pulp Fiction > You.

But does it really deliver?

I think some of you need to watch it again. If you all love it so much that shouldn't be a problem. During the dance scene do a bit of self-reflection.
When I first saw the movie I had little preconceptions. I heard it was good but didn't know people on the internet called it a masterpiece and such. I enjoyed it a lot actually so....
Quote by JY-Rasputin
Kevin Smith movies tend to have that aswell, but they're in a more cemedy aproach.
I do however agree on you on everything you said.

You're right, I forgot about Kevin Smith, he is good at it too.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Yes.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Perhaps you do not enjoy Pulp Fiction because you fail to see its brilliance? Like the narrative hinge effect of the toilet scenes?

To summarise: Pulp Fiction = good.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

I think some of you need to watch it again. If you all love it so much that shouldn't be a problem. During the dance scene do a bit of self-reflection.

it's been in my top five favorite movies for the last six years. i just watched it again last night for the 49354589th time. still delivers.
#DTWD
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I don't really discuss, I rather state.

so you come on forums to state? the point of comming to forums is to see what others have to say to your statements. i'd call that a discussion. if you're just stating whats the point of a thread? just make it and then close it. at least it will get off our screens faster
I think some of you are failing to see my point somewhat. I know you think it's brilliant. But why do you think it's brilliant.

Do you really enjoy watching Uma Thurman and John Travolta doing a stupid dance? Or how about the terrible acting by Tarantino. Or perhaps the drawn out cafe scenes.

Edit: ^^^ Maybe crap is a strong word. Even if it is a masterpiece it doesn't mean it's enjoyable. It could be the best film in the world but still completely dull and boring.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Fraztastick
Perhaps you do not enjoy Pulp Fiction because you fail to see its brilliance? Like the narrative hinge effect of the toilet scenes?

To summarise: Pulp Fiction = good.

and the hilarious inside jokes (steve buscemi as mr. pink as the waiter in jack rabbit slim's)

and the post-modern storytelling (bricolage of many scenes from classic noir movies, nonlinear puzzle of a storyline, etc.).
#DTWD
I watched it the other day and couldn't believe I didn't have it on dvd so bought it. I'm gonna watch it again when it gets here. I'm pretty sure I actually do like it and it actually is brilliant.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2