I was thinking of getting some 30 watt amp.

I seen vox amps in a local store and wondered if they are any good.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I'm trying to upgrade from a 15w spider III.

I play rock, metal, blues. Any sugestions?
Have no band.

EDIT 2:
Which amps should I stay away from then?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Last edited by vinnie-watt5 at Sep 6, 2009,
Personally I think they are all good amps, even the Valvetronix. They are generally better at chimey-clean tones and crunchy overdrive rather than brutal metal distortion.
No. All Vox amps are crap.

Marshalls too.

Unless it's the MG range.

They're awesome.
Short answer, yes.

But seriously, it depends on what you model it is, what you play, what you need it for, just a ton of factors. Every company has it's better amps and it's worse amps, but Vox has got a lot of good stuff imho.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Any thoughts?

You could read the Reviews section of this website, and then ask more interesting questions...
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Well, generally speaking they are good. Nowadays they're made in China though. Even the £800+ ones. I've heard many stories of terrible reliability. I've owned a couple of cheaper ones and never had a problem myself. First thing to do is play through one form your own opinion.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Quote by vinnie-watt5

Any thoughts?

You actually try them?
Depends on what model we're talking about and what music you want to play. There hardly are any Vox amps out there which I'd consider bad though.
Vox Ac30 =

Think Radiohead
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I've had the Valvetronix for two years now, and I love it. I highly recommend them.
I tryed one amp and it was okay. I guess but it was like some 15 watt I think
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
I wouldn't really consider the vt30 an upgrade from the spider, sounds better, not a big step up really, that is if its a vt30. If its an ac30, get it.,
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
it really depends what model you mean, i love my AC30, but i hear they have bad stock tubes, they sound good, but dont last, i really should replace mine!

but i have only briefly tried the valvatronic series, and it wasnt very impressive, but im sure its far better that a spider
Try a superchamp XD as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Try a superchamp XD as well.

You really like those amps, huh? I guess I'll have to try one the next time I'm at a music store that doesn't suck. Anyone who's been to Gainesville, Florida knows that the music stores here are horrible.

Anyways, I've never tried a Vox amp that I didn't like. With the exception of the Valvetronix modellers, they tend to do better with cleans, blues, and classic rock. The Valvetronix series can do metal fairly well for the price, though. Go ahead and try them out to see if you like them. But, if you really want an awesome amp....

save up and buy an Egnater.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
You really like those amps, huh? I guess I'll have to try one the next time I'm at a music store that doesn't suck.

I work in a music store so I am around these amps daily. Of the Vypyrs, Spiders, MGs, VTs, Cubes the XD takes the cake. Vibro champ XD sells for $199, Super Champ XD $299. It's really tough to beat a 6V6 or two in the power section for under $300.
Try one, they are versatile as fuk making them good for most genres.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I work in a music store so I am around these amps daily. Of the Vypyrs, Spiders, MGs, VTs, Cubes the XD takes the cake. Vibro champ XD sells for $199, Super Champ XD $299. It's really tough to beat a 6V6 or two in the power section for under $300.
Try one, they are versatile as fuk making them good for most genres.

That's really cool. I'll definitely have to check one out. I'm really loving 6V6 tubes now that I have my Egnater. The bubbly upper mid range takes some getting used to, but once you EQ them right, they really sound smooth and throaty. Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
You really like those amps, huh? I guess I'll have to try one the next time I'm at a music store that doesn't suck. Anyone who's been to Gainesville, Florida knows that the music stores here are horrible.

Anyways, I've never tried a Vox amp that I didn't like. With the exception of the Valvetronix modellers, they tend to do better with cleans, blues, and classic rock. The Valvetronix series can do metal fairly well for the price, though. Go ahead and try them out to see if you like them. But, if you really want an awesome amp....

save up and buy an Egnater.

Really? It would be a good choice for rock and blues but when I tried a Rebel 20 it was barely passable for metal. An OD could probably change that, but still.
The heaviest metal tone you'll probably get (with the amp alone) is a good iron maiden and early metallica tone, with more supplies such as an eq or distortion pedal you can get alot heavier tones, just no death metal stuff you'll need a different amp for that. It can play pretty much anything that isn't heavy also. Depending on if you get a modelling amp like mine or the real amps. I prefer the modelling amps, so much tone variety.
dude, i have a 50 watt valvetronix ill sell you for 200 bucks. pm me for more info
IMO

Ceriatone Creme Brulee or DC30

DC30 is a clone of the Matchless DC-30 which is a copy (I think) of the Vox AC30, but better.
Creme Brulee is a modified DC-30. One channel instead of 2, and half the power.

http://www.ceriatone.com/
Quote by Benjibum

Or in Final Fantasy terms, think of him as always casting Reflect on himself. The only way to hurt him is to cast Reflect on yourself and bounce Firaga off yourself.

What a load of rubbish. Just punch him in the ****ing shins.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Really? It would be a good choice for rock and blues but when I tried a Rebel 20 it was barely passable for metal. An OD could probably change that, but still.

Yeah, it doesn't have too much gain on tap, but takes pedals really well. It's also voiced pretty neutrally, so if you have a good OD and EQ, you can get basically any tone out of it.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by willis4
IMO

Ceriatone Creme Brulee or DC30

DC30 is a clone of the Matchless DC-30 which is a copy (I think) of the Vox AC30, but better.
Creme Brulee is a modified DC-30. One channel instead of 2, and half the power.

http://www.ceriatone.com/

Why go Ceriatone when you can have a vastly superior true PTP 15 watt XiTS X10 for $989?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs