Go to the bottom line if you want to me to get to the point...

Ive been trying to write my own songs for about 2 months. Im satisfyed with a song for about 2 days before I change it drastically or just scrap it.

So the biggest problem with my music (in my opinion) is the riffs. I have the most trouble writing them so that Ill enjoy them every time I listen. My chord progressions, interludes, bridges and what not are good to me so the point of this thread:

- Can anyone help me find bands to listen to or just certains guitarists that are good at riffing for progressive, experimental, metal music

Sorry if thats vague
the human abstract

Nocturne and Midheaven albums completly different... Nocturne is more metal.. Midheaven is very progressive

them and thrice are my favorite bands
trust me, I'm a professional
Quote by redoverblack
the human abstract

I find their riffs really boring and uninspired.

Listen to some early Metallica and Megadeth.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Between the Buried and Me.
Meshuggah.
Necrophagist.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Dream Theater.... uh, listen to some jazz if u wana get inspired as to what is possible in rif***e in your metal ...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Arsis's albums A Celebration of Guilt and We are the Nightmare have some great riff ideas . Kudos to the guy who mentioned Necrophagist, their riffs are ridiculously technical though. Nevermore has some great clean clean and distorted riffs and leadfills in their songs.

The stuff before Dead Heart in a Dead World is all six string so you shouldn't have many problems dissecting it.
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Thanks for the bands Ill look in to them.

Ive actually been looking into jazz, it seems like most technical bands have jazz influence like Meshuggah and DEP.
Last edited by suckmycouch at Sep 6, 2009,
Metal...

Chimaira, Slipknot, Metallica, Trivium, Marilyn Manson, Korn, Opeth, Disturbed, Black Sabbath, Ax7, Pantera, Slayer (Hate them though), SOAD, and hundreds of other bands.

Try the blues, Jimi Hendrix, go to some local shows. Just jam out and don't think about it too much. Just **** around with your guitar you'll come up with riffs easy.
In the Valley of Vung
Metal rhythm, Metallica and Megadeth.
If you prefer newer stuff, Trivium, A7x, BFMV.

Metallica is the best practice for rhythm playing though, IMO.
I find that (for my riffs anyway), if i think of what the drums would be doing the riffs come out quite decent

Or think of techniques you can add in that you wouldn't normally use for a metal riff (and basic standards like galloping, palm muting, pinch harmonics etc)

Maybe you should think of bands where THEIR riffs move you, and then work from there
You need influence from many bands. A metallica die hard fan will 99% probably sound like metallica, but if that guy listens to more band, he/she gets influences by them and his style will be more unique.
all of early thrash...
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Dude, Annihilator is KICKASS. Do check them out. Also Symohony X, Firewind, Nevermore, Pantera, Slayer.
Hope I helped
Quote by TubeAmp89
Dude, Annihilator is KICKASS.

Not the new stuff... I can't believe they actually released the album called "Metal." Everything on it sounds satirical.

Their first albums are awesome though!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
theres a million bands but if you want some good song writin. Lamb of God and Metallica have really good songs. The secret to song writing is just putting riffs together. I've got maybe like 5 or 6 random riffs that ive thought of and two complete songs. And your song wont be perfect to you at first. You just have to keep playin it the way you like it. I you find a better or cooler way to play it then go ahead re-write it. I swear it takes metallica 2-5 years each time to put out an 8 to 10 song cd so take your time