Right, been looking at these, can anyone just tell me what they like about them, dont like, its uses and the styles thats its good for?
Thanks a lot!
They are decent. They are a modified Tube Screamer. Think Tube Screamer without the mid hump.
They work really well for pushing tube amps. You can use them for mild overdrive to more metal stuff. Zakk Wylde use to (or still does. I don't know) use one with Ozzy and BLS. Keep in mind that he CRANKED his amps.
seem like a decent pedal. Voiced a lil differently then a Tubescreamer, but il agree that it doesnt have the mid hump a TS does, im gonna say its better for pushing your amp for your overall Rythym sounds. Like most Boss Distortion/overdrive pedals, it might suck your low end a lil bit, so beware.
It's pretty different than a TS9 actually, I don't know where you took the fact that it is a modded TS 9, the SD 1 has a harsher sound, some poeple like it, some poeple hate it, I think it's an okay pedal, you can get useful sound of it.
I used to have one. I thought it was a pretty good pedal for what it was. I wouldn't use it on a clean channel, but it works really well when you use it to boost your overdrive/distortion. Gives it a nice beefed up creamy tone. You can always tweak it a bit, it's very easy to use. I definitely prefer it over a DS-1, but that's just preference.

I wish I still had it, I gave it to my friend for his birthday cause he always borrowed it from me as it was.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
It's pretty different than a TS9 actually, I don't know where you took the fact that it is a modded TS 9, QUOTE]

From looking at the schematics.
Quote by Griffin Effects
They are decent. They are a modified Tube Screamer. Think Tube Screamer without the mid hump.
They work really well for pushing tube amps. You can use them for mild overdrive to more metal stuff. Zakk Wylde use to (or still does. I don't know) use one with Ozzy and BLS. Keep in mind that he CRANKED his amps.

I've heard this, and that its a few chips away from a tubescreamer type tone, i own one, its good when you can push a valve amp with it, but with SS its a no no, tbh, the keeley one is worth saving up for over it (or modding it yourself) bu it'll do you fine stock
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
A ton of overdrives are modified Tube Screamers. Including some of those expensive "boutique" pedals.

I do agree that the SD-1 into a SS amp sounds horrible. I have the Keeley one and it's ok. I have one that's modified to a Clay Jones OD and one that's modified to a Lovepedal Eternity and they are much better than the Keeley one. Stock is pretty decent though.
They are almost exactly the same circuit wise...swap about 4 or 5 components in a sd-1 and you got a tube screamer...the biggest difference is the diodes which cause clipping ...the tube screamer has symetrical clipping where the sd-1 has asymetrecal clipping(I think I got it right,it may be reversed lol)

But overall the sd-1 has a harsher sound pushes a tube amp awesome...you can play a lot of styles with it with the right guitars and amps....I love mine,It used to be my main pedal back in the day I just like the dod 250 sound better
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
I like how it smooths out my amps distortion and compresses a bit. I think it sounds closer to a Maxon OD than an Ibanez TS9.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I like how it smooths out my amps distortion and compresses a bit. I think it sounds closer to a Maxon OD than an Ibanez TS9.

Maxon OD's are very close to a Tube Screamer, circuit wise. I think they just moved the tone control pre-clipping and some have diodes to ground like a Distortion +.

Basically all of these pedals we are talking about are basically the same circuit with a few changes here and there.

Bottom line the SD-1 is a pretty decent pedal for pushing a tube amp but not that great with a SS amp. I found it pretty responsive but really noisy with a cranked tube amp. A lot of people hear bleed-through on these also. I used to use one for shows along with a Marshall 2203 and I had to turn that sucker off the minute I stopped playing or there was some crazy noise/feedback. If you have a SS amp, you might want to look for a different pedal.
meh, for the same price you can get a Danelectro CC Transparent Overdrive
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Sguit
It's pretty different than a TS9 actually, I don't know where you took the fact that it is a modded TS 9, the SD 1 has a harsher sound, some poeple like it, some poeple hate it, I think it's an okay pedal, you can get useful sound of it.

The SD-1 actually has an extremely similar circuit to the TS-9.
There are mods for these everywhere...try this

http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/SD1/sd1.htm

Theirs a few of them here...their not hard...don't give analog mike and robert keeley your money!!!
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think