i have been playing guitar for sometime now and i want to start jamming with my cousin, but i cant seem to make up any metal riffs?
what should i do?
Listen to some metal... That's the only helpful advice I can give you.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
well, if you take alot of Advil, followed immediately by Soy Sauce, it stimulates a specific type of nueroceptor in your brain called Parateripiades (Sp?), which, according to studies, helps to inspire metal Riffs.

Or you could listen to metal.
Quote by Jack Salad
well, if you take alot of Advil, followed immediately by Soy Sauce, it stimulates a specific type of nueroceptor in your brain called Parateripiades (Sp?), which, according to studies, helps to inspire metal Riffs.

Or you could listen to metal.

Yeah , I agree with the above. I have used this technique before with some truly stunning results. Light soy sauce works well, but if you really want to play some really heavy riffs then go for the dark variety................Alternatively, if you want to play som really funky blues riffs, take asprin followed by ketchup.
A lot of metal is drop d or c tuned power chords muted
-tune ur guitar to drop d or c
-mute the strings
-and use the minor scale on your power chords
Thats how i make up metal stuff, anyway
BTW, crank up the gain, or it wont sound right

EDIT: as for soloing, i find high-pitched blues and minor scales help a lot (listen to kirk hammett and you'll know what i mean

EDIT:EDIT: I need to state, since this has been pointed out, what i meant to say is easy metal riffs are usually power chords in drop d or c
Most metal is not in a drop tuning
"How can I be lost when I've got nowhere to go"
- MetallicA
What to do at a metal concert:

Last edited by Mtl2theend at Sep 7, 2009,
Just go to a drop tuing and start banging away on the e string. For the chorus do some power chords.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Figure out what sort of riffs you like, then analyze and figure out why you like them. Find out what scales/chords folks you admire are using. If they don't do anything but downpicking, get good at downpicking, etc...
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
Quote by Mtl2theend
A lot of metal is drop d or c tuned power chords muted
-tune ur guitar to drop d or c
-mute the strings
-and use the minor scale on your power chords
Thats how i make up metal stuff, anyway
BTW, crank up the gain, or it wont sound right

EDIT: as for soloing, i find high-pitched blues and minor scales help a lot (listen to kirk hammett and you'll know what i mean
You would actually be surprised on how much metal isn't really drop tuned. Anyways pick some of your favorite metal bands and analyze the tabs of their songs.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
lots of open palm muting power cords and pinches should work. I all else fails listen to a metal band you like then come up with a riff that sounds similar to that. theres nothing wrong with it. If you get good at it you can come out with something totally original piece of work that started from one semi unoriginal riff