I went to Guitar Center today just to try some stuff out. Luckily, they had the Peavey Classic 30 (which I was looking for). Plugged a few different guitars into it (to test out the guitars themselves) and it was pretty decent. Then I tested a Schecter Gryphon out the Deluxe. It blew me away. I don't know what it was about it, but the sound was just so...rich. Where the highs were kind-of sharp on the Peavey Classic, the highs on the Hotrod Deluxe were smooth & clear. The gain channels were pretty different, but I liked them nearly the same. It was...fuzzy, while the Classic's was thicker.

Why haven't I seen many recommendations for the Fender Hotrod Deluxe on UG?
I seem to recall some people don't like the distortion, which can be harsh. they are pretty solid amps but they, imo, sound better with an overdrive or a tube-based preamp distortion unit in front (IE a Tonebone of some kind)
I do not really like them at all. It's just my opinion but their clean channels sound bland and their overdrive is muddy and lacks definition overall.
They have great cleans, but yeah, the overdrive channel sounds kinda muddy, it can be usable for some stuff, but it's not very good overall. His cleans though are worth the price, even if you don't use the od channel.
I think they are pretty good amps, if a little overpriced. I didn't find the drive channel as bad as other people say, in fact I liked it.

Schecters and Ibanez' aren't exactly what first comes to mind when you think about what to pair up with a Fender amp but Horses for Courses I suppose.
6L6 amps in general rock ass, why wouldn't this one?

but the drive is lacking, so some hot pups probably helped the tone a bunch.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Now, wait til you play a real fender.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Now, wait til you play a real fender.

Like a blackface Bassman or a '65 Twin Reverb

I'm a big fan of the Deville as well.
I've had good experiences with freshly re-tubed HRDs and high-output pickups.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i dont wanna start a new thread ..

but what about reliability ???... i heard since they are now made in mexico i think ... theyre not as good as the u.s made form a few years ago ???

is that true ???

im really thinking about a hot rod too .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
The Deluxe has nice cleans but the distortion, as has been said, isn't up to much. I tend to recommend that if you like the Hot Rod Deluxe's cleans and want to get in that ballpark with better drive you buy the similarly priced Blues Deluxe (better tone all round, but less gain) and boost it with an overdrive pedal or signal booster/linedriver.
Quote by Skysc
i dont wanna start a new thread ..

but what about reliability ???... i heard since they are now made in mexico i think ... theyre not as good as the u.s made form a few years ago ???

is that true ???

im really thinking about a hot rod too .

they have been made in mexico as long as most of UG has been alive.

however i will tell you this. i am able to get very nice sounds out of my Hot Rod, when it works. i have had it repaired 4 times. it doesnt even work right anymore, and no one is able to figure out whats wrong with it. im saving for a new amp, however im in college so its not going to happen.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
They have really sexy cleans, but the OD is pretty dodgy...(never played one, judging by high quality clips.)
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
The cleans are really nice.

Some of the best cleans I've ever heard was an Eastman hollow-body into a Hot Rod Deluxe.
Quote by chea_man
they have been made in mexico as long as most of UG has been alive.

however i will tell you this. i am able to get very nice sounds out of my Hot Rod, when it works. i have had it repaired 4 times. it doesnt even work right anymore, and no one is able to figure out whats wrong with it. im saving for a new amp, however im in college so its not going to happen.

This. I think they switched to Mexican production in 98 or so. I've owned my DeVille for over 4 years and have had to get it repaired 3 times with moderate gigging. The reverb went out once, it got stuck on the od channel once and it just plain stopped working once.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs