Tell me this isn't true, I am trying to learn it and I can do it fine alt picking but I have been hearing its downpicking for the main riff. I can barely play that fast for more than a second downpicking :|
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Last edited by Invert-blu at Sep 6, 2009,
play it how you feel comfortable
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
play it how you feel comfortable

I agree. It's no fun to mimic a guitarist (especially Michael Paget...) down to the smallest detail.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
I agree. It's no fun to mimic a guitarist (especially Michael Paget...) down to the smallest detail.

I guess thats true, but whats the fun in knowing your playing the "easy" way out lol.

...then again the actual way is ridiculous
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by Invert-blu
I guess thats true, but whats the fun in knowing your playing the "easy" way out lol.

...then again the actual way is ridiculous

Why not take the easy way out? Nobody gives a **** that you made learning a song harder on yourself. If BFMV want to make a song overly difficult then fine, doesn't mean you have to copy them.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Why not take the easy way out? Nobody gives a **** that you made learning a song harder on yourself. If BFMV want to make a song overly difficult then fine, doesn't mean you have to copy them.

Well technically I can agree that downpicking sounds better overall, but **** it your right.

Thanks all
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Don't play it the way you feel comfortable. Step outside of your comfort zone and become a better player...downpick it. It will sound more aggressive and tight this way.

It's called initiative...take it.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by plainsight
Don't play it the way you feel comfortable. Step outside of your comfort zone and become a better player...downpick it. It will sound more aggressive and tight this way.

It's called initiative...take it.

isn't the song like 16ths at 200 bpm?

Thats a bit fast to downpick.
So does that mean he shouldn't try? Like building speed with anything else, use the metronome, and start slow.

EDIT : No, it isn't 16ths at 200bpm. If he's downpicking it would be 8th notes.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
isn't the song like 16ths at 200 bpm?

Thats a bit fast to downpick.

It's more like 8ths at 220 bpm, maybe a bit more. A bit of a stretch and not easy to do by anyone's standards but perfectly possible.

Here's them doing it live to prove it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GmUpzNoLEg

Althought watching that video... why do most metalcore bassists have such terrible picking technique? o.O
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its do able, I've got it done and yes it is down picked. There is also quite a big difference between the sound of alternate picking and downpicking. Downpicking has a much more aggressive sound and you will be able to tell the difference.

Learn Master of Puppets at speed and then this song.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Downpicking this isnt hard at all.

Come back to us when you do some of Hetfield's Riffs.
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
If you want another song to work on downpicking besides MoP, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the riff before the Seek and Destroy solo is around 208 bpm. So it might be a good place to start if you can't do the BFMV riff.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's more like 8ths at 220 bpm, maybe a bit more. A bit of a stretch and not easy to do by anyone's standards but perfectly possible.

^ This. Master of Puppets (the classic downpicking example) is played with 8ths at 212 bpm so this isn't impossible at all =)

Just keep practicing it - I found that downpicking endurance just came with practice, and of course make sure you're warmed up and stretched out before practicing or playing it.

Now Fight Fire with Fire, that's impossible to play with downpicking =P
Quote by seeneyj
Its do able, I've got it done and yes it is down picked. There is also quite a big difference between the sound of alternate picking and downpicking. Downpicking has a much more aggressive sound and you will be able to tell the difference.

Learn Master of Puppets at speed and then this song.

Did you have an uncontrollable urge to bump this over a year old thread just to brag?
Quote by Tarsplitter
Did you have an uncontrollable urge to bump this over a year old thread just to brag?

lol nah, just searched downpicking threds last night XD
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by WhiteRaven13
Oh my God...they really do downpick it...why??? And more importantly, at that speed HOW?

Oh my God...you really did resurrect this thread...why??? And more importantly, what the fvck?
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
this guys gonna shit his pants when he listens to master of puppets and finds out its all down picking
Quote by chestercheetah
this guys gonna shit his pants when he listens to master of puppets and finds out its all down picking

Sig quoted
Quote by chestercheetah

Well no he won't actually because Waking The Demon is faster. People really do need to learn that Metallica is not the be-all-end-all of downpicking.

LET THIS THREAD DIE NOW!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jan 21, 2011,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well no he won't actually because Waking The Demon is faster. People really do need to learn that Metallica is not the be-all-end-all of downpicking.

LET THIS THREAD DIE NOW!

The 2nd part of the main riff of Master of Puppets is faster than Waking the Demon.
I know how to play both songs. And I love and listen to both songs.
And I'm dam sure Master of Puppets is faster.

- Sean (Lead Guitarist of Heaven Down)
My Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Line 6 Spider II 75-Watt
Ibanez Gio Electric Guitar
15-Watt Ibanez Amp
1964 Goya G-20 Acoustic Guitar

Youtube: HeavenDown914 (Covers & All that Good Stuff)
Last edited by Heaven Down at Jan 21, 2011,
Quote by Heaven Down
The 2nd part of the main riff of Master of Puppets is faster than Waking the Demon.
I know how to play both songs. And I love and listen to both songs.
And I'm dam sure Master of Puppets is faster.

- Sean (Lead Guitarist of Heaven Down)

You can be as sure as you like but you're wrong; Waking The Demon is faster.

Thread die now, yes?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You can be as sure as you like but you're wrong; Waking The Demon is faster.

Thread die now, yes?

This. Waking The Demon is faster.
Quote by chestercheetah
this guys gonna sh*t his pants when he listens to master of puppets and finds out its all down picking

Quote by whalepudding
If it was "Need to catch my dog pooing under my piano..." it would be thread of the decade.
yes waking the demon is faster but can you down pick for 8 min??? and metallica was nice enough to let you have that little break in the middle