So I've been teaching myself how to play on my friend's bass, and my grandparent's decided they want to buy me my own for an early Christmas present (Score!) I've been looking online and I went to Guitar Center and tried some out. I played the GSR200 and apparently it's supposed to be a pretty decent bass for the money ($249.99.) Then I stumbled across the SR500. It looks a lot nicer in my opinion, but I haven't played it before so I'm not sure if it's any good or not. It's also twice as expensive (around $550.) Does anyone have either of these and if so, would you recommend either of them?
Last edited by Janky_Hoopty at Sep 6, 2009,
I have the SR305 and it plays beatifully, so I'd only guess the model up would be better. Of course, you're grandparents are going to have to fork out quite a bit extra for the SR500..
On Emma Watson:

Quote by rabidguitarist
You should call her a filthy mudblood while you're fucking her.
I have a GSR200. Its a great starter bass, really solid, and the P/J pickup configuration is nice. Its definitely a good value for the money (got mine for $200 at Guitar Center). Played around with the SR500 a bit at music shops before, extremely versatile from what I can tell, good quality like most Ibanez. Keep in mind the the GSR200 is what it is, and that is a starter bass, while the SR500 is another step up
Yeah, I know I'm pretty much just starting, but if I'm going to get one, I mine as well get a good one that's going to be more than just a starter bass, right?
Haha its up to you. If your serious about bass and you don't think you'll give it up anytime soon then go for the higher quality one
Not really the type to invest in something and not use it. I think if I do go for the SR500, I'll have it for a long time =]
It is much, much better than the gsr. The pickups are bartolini, as is the preamp. The wood is better, etc.

If you continue to play bass it will last you quite a long time, as it is an intermediate bass. You could look into the 505 as well. In my -very biased - opinion, it has the most comfortable neck ever
the SR500 is great. the GSR200 is great.

either one will suit your needs. if your grandparents are going through a great financial period, get the pricier SR500. it's worth it.

otherwise, get the GSR200.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The SR500 really is a piece of equipment that will most likely not have to be replaced by something better, whereas the GSR will most likely be upgraded at some point(should you want a bass that provides you with better tone control, for example).

If you're serious about bass, go right for the more expensive one. Just make sure the SR is comfortable to you, as the thin neck may not be to the taste of some.
Hi.
The SR500 is worth the extra money. The woods, electronics, and overall fit & finish are superior in every way to the 200.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Welcome to the world of Ibanez fanboys...and as much better as the SR500 is...I think you might be better off with the GSR200. Not to sound like a downer but I've seen kids like you come into the forums and buy some really expensive gear to start on and within a year they've given up on playing. I'm not saying that it will happen to you but I just hate to see people blow there money (or other peoples as the case may be.) So buy the GSR200 and really learn and after a year or two upgrade into the 500 (or whatever catches your fancy at the time) and then you'll really be able to tell what you're paying the extra money for, see all the advantages to it and in the end appreciate it more.
Quote by Janky_Hoopty
So I've been teaching myself how to play on my friend's bass, and my grandparent's decided they want to buy me my own for an early Christmas present (Score!) I've been looking online and I went to Guitar Center and tried some out. I played the GSR200 and apparently it's supposed to be a pretty decent bass for the money ($249.99.) Then I stumbled across the SR500. It looks a lot nicer in my opinion, but I haven't played it before so I'm not sure if it's any good or not. It's also twice as expensive (around $550.) Does anyone have either of these and if so, would you recommend either of them?

The Backup i use live (it's actually my mates mums old one) is an SR500. It's a good bass. If you can afford it go for it. Won't let you down.
I say screw it and pick up the SR500. Hell, even if you do end up not playing after a year, sell it. Recoup most of your money and move on to another hope-to-get-into-it purchase