Page 1 of 2
So I'm getting a new guitar eventually, around $700-$750. I've been looking at Ibanez guitars and I can't find anything I really like. But I was thinking of getting the RGA32 and replacing the pick-ups with active EMG's (I really want to capture a bit of August Burns Red's sound while making it a little more unique).

So do you think this is a good idea? If not, could you suggest another guitar that might be good for my style of music?

Thanks for all answers!
Get a new amp first....then a guitar that feels good,don't limit yourself to one company bro
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by britishsligean
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-h.html this might be a good idea it is similar and comes with emg's as standard and has a thin neck like the ibanez

+1 ESP might be the choice, they are amazing metal guitars with EMG. Most of the time is better to buy a guitar with the EMG rather than install them because it could be more expensive. Also ESP got more shape choices
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
You should never buy a guitar without trying it out first....would you buy a car without test driving it? Or marry a girl without dating her? Think about that...there could be 2 guitars right next to each other on the line that sound and feel completely different

Oh my bad I misread the link I thought it was a musicians friend link hahaha....

Check out DBZ Guitars. The Premiere Series just started shipping a few weeks ago. I would recommend the Cavallo, Venom, Bird of Prey, Halcyon, or Bolero.

Dark Side: http://www.dbzguitars.com/thedarkside/collection.php

Main Site: http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html

Now while EMG's won't sound great through the Spider, i can tell you from experience that they don't sound terrible. But if your worried about actives not mixing with the spider, then look into a DBZ without EMG's. They have DBZ custom pickups, which are not POS stock pickups like in other guitars. Dean Z has made sure that the pickups are made to accommodate the guitar they are in. He knows how to make a guitar. Here are some really nice pics of the Bolero and Barchetta.

http://dbzguitars.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=618

Read the review near the bottom; it is very descriptive and from the standpoint of someone who has made guitars and knows what is good and what isn't.

Here is a vid of the Bolero as well. There are a few more vids too; you should be able to access them through this page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slIQnN0vVdM

If you have any questions, then refer to this thread:

http://dbzguitars.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=340

I am eventually going to make a similar thread here; just so we have a place where we can discuss DBZ guitars. If you have any questions, then feel free to PM me.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Sep 6, 2009,
I thought you weren't allowed to advertise here

Quote by rdobson2
I thought you weren't allowed to advertise here

who is advertising? i'm recommending a guitar.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Well, i should first state, that I love my Spider III, and though I do want an upgrade, I really need a new guitar. Plus, I can't find a good amp to upgrade to, so...

I really want to test out guitars, but the Guitar Center near me doesn't have any brands that are good for metal really. All I could find were about 2 crappy Ibanez, and I think maybe 1 shecter that I didn't get to try out. Nothing that really interested me.

Those DBZ guitars are really nice! I'm going to be doing some more research on them though, just to make sure I would want one.
active pickups don't mesh well with a solid state amp. If you want emgs then you really should buy a new amp first. That should be your first move even if the spider 3 was good, which it isn't.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
well this is the only chance I have about $700 to spend, and spending it on another amp when I spent 300+ dollars on a new amp seems very redundant, but if you can suggest me an amp that sounds good with a $170 guitar, feel free to suggest it.

It'd be super awesome if I could get a great amp with a really good guitar, but I know that's highly unlikely...right?
Quote by ABRfan
well this is the only chance I have about $700 to spend, and spending it on another amp when I spent 300+ dollars on a new amp seems very redundant, but if you can suggest me an amp that sounds good with a $170 guitar, feel free to suggest it.

It'd be super awesome if I could get a great amp with a really good guitar, but I know that's highly unlikely...right?

well I say stick with your amp for a little, IF you think you'll be able to get a new amp later on. If you can get a new amp soon then get the guitar you want and put EMG's into it. Personally I would get a new amp first and then the guitar with EMG's. I have a Line 6 spider III 15 watt and I bought my kkv and put emg's in it and then got a marshall MG30FX

But I only did that because I knew I would be able to buy a new amp soon. If you don't think you'll be able to get a new amp soon after you get the guitar and pickups i say get a new amp first
Well I don't think I would be able to get a new guitar or amp for a while after I get whichever. And i'm getting really sick of the guitar I have now. It's okay, but I really feel I should get a new guitar.
Quote by ABRfan
Well, i should first state, that I love my Spider III, and though I do want an upgrade, I really need a new guitar. Plus, I can't find a good amp to upgrade to, so...

I really want to test out guitars, but the Guitar Center near me doesn't have any brands that are good for metal really. All I could find were about 2 crappy Ibanez, and I think maybe 1 shecter that I didn't get to try out. Nothing that really interested me.

Those DBZ guitars are really nice! I'm going to be doing some more research on them though, just to make sure I would want one.

For new amps, look into the MTS series. If you sell your spider and use the money from it and the $700, you should be able to get one. But if you really want to get a guitar now, i strongly recommend a DBZ. I see you live in California, correct. There are four dealers currently: http://www.dbzguitars.com/thedarkside/results.php?state=CA

That's probably the only way you can try one out unfortuneatly, at least until there are more dealers. But i'm confident in Dean Z, and believe that you will get your money's worth.

As far as the spider goes, i used to have the same one you have. Although it wasn't great, i could fine a decent tone out of it, even with my EMG's. So you should be good if you get a EMG equipped guitar. But if you are worried about the actives, then the DBZ custom pickups are said to be really good. As i said, they have recently been shipped, well at least the Premiere series has. The USA and Infinity should be released soon. We should be getting more reviews and dealers in the coming months.

I really want to get a DBZ, but i'm broke and don't have any way to get money; moreover, the only dealer is two hours away. But if i end up getting one, i will probably get a USA model, which means i will be saving for a while. But it will be worth it.

If you have any questions about DBZ guitars or the Randall MTS series, don't hesitate to PM me.

EDIT: you might actually be able to get the guitar and the amp. Most Premiere DBZ's cost b/t $500-$900. Sell your spider, and look into the B-52 AT-112: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046

You should be able to get a DBZ (or another guitar of your choice) and the B-52 for your budget.

Here are a few DBZ's that you can buy now:

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/DBZBoleroABwhite.html

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/DBZBoleroSTCherrySunburst.html

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/DBZBarchettaLTfloydMBS.html

http://www.carlinoguitars.com/DBZBarchettaLTBLK.html

The only thing with the last two is that they are bolt-on. If you like the shape, but don't like bolt-on, then if you wait a while, they should get some set neck versions in soon. I like the finish of the third one, but the bolt-on is stopping me from buying it.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Well, I've been looking at new amps based on so many suggestions, and I have stumbled upon two that caught my eye.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922901-i1413610.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc

which do you think would be more diverse? And how QUIET could they get? I know they can get headache-inducing loud, but how quiet could they get for in-the-house practicing? I'm not in a band YET, but I wouldn't want to get another amp, just to have to get ANOTHER amp, you know?

And how do you think my Epiphone SG Special (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-101392124-i1149250.gc) would sound through it?

EDIT: I figure if I really wanted to, I could sell my amp with my guitar for about $350 on craigslist.
Last edited by ABRfan at Sep 6, 2009,
Tube amps are very loud. I would practice with headphones if i were you.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by ABRfan
Well, I've been looking at new amps based on so many suggestions, and I have stumbled upon two that caught my eye.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-120-120W-2x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp-104922901-i1413610.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc

which do you think would be more diverse? And how QUIET could they get? I know they can get headache-inducing loud, but how quiet could they get for in-the-house practicing? I'm not in a band YET, but I wouldn't want to get another amp, just to have to get ANOTHER amp, you know?

And how do you think my Epiphone SG Special (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-101392124-i1149250.gc) would sound through it?

EDIT: I figure if I really wanted to, I could sell my amp with my guitar for about $350 on craigslist.

The Peavey's are ok, but i think the B-52 is better.

$350!?!?! That is a little much for the 75W version. New is like $300 correct? I'd say $200-$250.

So my vote is for a DBZ and the B-52, but you might also want to look into something like the ESP EC-401FM.

If you have $750 currently, and sell your SG and Spider, you should have enough for a really nice tube amp and high quality guitar.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by ABRfan
No you got it all wrong. I HAVE the SG Special. With the amp and the guitar both $350 would be slightly discounted.

I'm thinking of trying to get a tube amp with this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar-502235-i1463462.gc

Are B-52's good for metal? If not, do you know what is?

ya, i just realized that and fixed it. sorry.

I hear the B-52 is really good for metal. It is great for the price. I would choose it over the Peavey's.

The Ibanez should be a good guitar, but again, you might want to change the pickups.
--Einstein

--Einstein
I think I'm getting a little happy with getting a new amp now lol (if you were to see all my other "help!" crap, I really don't want a new amp). I'm pretty sure the pick-ups will last me long enough until I can change them, and they are probably WAY better than the pick-ups on my SG lol.

Sadly, the guitar is only available in store by special order at Guitar Center. But I've heard so many good things about Ibanez, I think I would love it. I would probably buy from MF for the 45-day satisfaction guarantee. And if I do get it, I would then take it in store to try to find a good tube amp. Or just get it from MF again for the guarantee.

Well thanks for your help everybody! Hopefully you won't have to see me asking for help again!
Quote by ABRfan
I think I'm getting a little happy with getting a new amp now lol (if you were to see all my other "help!" crap, I really don't want a new amp). I'm pretty sure the pick-ups will last me long enough until I can change them, and they are probably WAY better than the pick-ups on my SG lol.

Sadly, the guitar is only available in store by special order at Guitar Center. But I've heard so many good things about Ibanez, I think I would love it. I would probably buy from MF for the 45-day satisfaction guarantee. And if I do get it, I would then take it in store to try to find a good tube amp. Or just get it from MF again for the guarantee.

Well thanks for your help everybody! Hopefully you won't have to see me asking for help again!

You should be able to order a DBZ with EMG's. That way you won't have to worry about changing the pickups. And again, even if you get the DBZ custom pickups, you should be getting a nice pair of pickups that won't need to be replaced. If you have $750 and get $350 for the SG and Spider, you should have enough for a nice tube amp and a DBZ. Or you can get the ESP EC-401FM which comes with the EMG 81/60 combo. I have the combo, and they are amazing; the 81 is perfect for metal, and the 60 is perfect for cleans.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
the thing is, I don't think I want to hassle with a double locking trem system, so I don't think I'll be going with the DBZ guitars. And there are just some little itty bitty things on the EC-401FM that I just don't like. They are the stupidest little things, but they make me unhappy, which isn't a good thing.
Quote by ABRfan
the thing is, I don't think I want to hassle with a double locking trem system, so I don't think I'll be going with the DBZ guitars. And there are just some little itty bitty things on the EC-401FM that I just don't like. They are the stupidest little things, but they make me unhappy, which isn't a good thing.

Not all DBZ's have trems. Most of them you can get with or w/o trems. I have a trem, and it really isn't that bad. It can be frustrating, but after a while, it starts to become manageable. It needs a "break in" period. After that, it should stay in tune. And the DBZ's have Original Floyd Roses, not Licensed ones. But not wanting to deal with it is understandable. I actually thought about selling my Jackson to get a fixed bridge...but luckily i was able to trade my spider for a SG G-400 Now i have both.

What about the EC don't you like? Maybe there is another one that doesn't have those specs, but has the ones you want.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by pedroskins
well I say stick with your amp for a little, IF you think you'll be able to get a new amp later on. If you can get a new amp soon then get the guitar you want and put EMG's into it. Personally I would get a new amp first and then the guitar with EMG's. I have a Line 6 spider III 15 watt and I bought my kkv and put emg's in it and then got a marshall MG30FX

But I only did that because I knew I would be able to buy a new amp soon. If you don't think you'll be able to get a new amp soon after you get the guitar and pickups i say get a new amp first

Wait... you did that as an upgrade...?

And to TS, trust me (us) you want to invest more in a new amp than in a guitar. With $700 bucks, I would recommend looking into the smaller Orange or Blackheart tube-amps, maybe with some pedals to boot. That would do way more for your sound than a new guitar through that crappy amp:

Orange
Blackheart
Maybe: Epiphone Valve Jr.

All of these are small tube amps, and sound great with a pedal in front of them; And you'd have about 3-400$ left to invest in pedals.

Just saying.
Quote by Y00p

And to TS, trust me (us) you want to invest more in a new amp than in a guitar. With $700 bucks, I would recommend looking into the smaller Orange or Blackheart tube-amps, maybe with some pedals to boot. That would do way more for your sound than a new guitar through that crappy amp:

Orange
Blackheart

All of these are small tube amps, and sound great with a pedal in front of them; And you'd have about 3-400$ left to invest in pedals.

Just saying.

Yes I did that as an upgrade. Everyone here says the MG's suck but really they're amazing practice amps.
I'm not going to buy a $700 tube amp for practice. I bought that amp cuz it sounds great, handles my EMG's great, and I'm not blowing a lot of money on an amp that I'm not going to use for recording or gigs
Quote by Y00p

Orange
Blackheart

Just saying.

Ah, another
"Dont buy a new guitar your amp is crap, listen to me, you should get a new tube amp" post. *sigh*
Last edited by Mixedpotatoes at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Mixedpotatoes
Ah, another
"Dont buy a new guitar your amp is crap, listen to me, you should get a new tube amp" post. *sigh*

And what do you propose he does, then? Buy a new 700 dollar guitar and then in a few weeks find out it sounds exactly the same through that piece of crap amp as his other piece of crap guitar?

Sure. Be smart, and give us a serious reason.
Quote by Y00p
And what do you propose he does, then? Buy a new 700 dollar guitar and then in a few weeks find out it sounds exactly the same through that piece of crap amp as his other piece of crap guitar?

Sure. Be smart, and give us a serious reason.

I didn't say that he shouldn't buy a tube amp.
I said that there are too many posts like that : p
@JKMV11 All the things I don't like on the EC are stupid, but here it they are: I think the headstock is not cool and the flag inlays are pretty lame.

@Y00p Which ones are best for metal? I couldn't really find any oranges that would be good for metal, but the site was kind of confusing. Same with the Blackheart. And the valve jr. doesn't seem like it would be good to be able to bring to places to practice or for playing metal, but that's just based on looks.

I'm thinking that, if I did get the Valve Jr., I might replace it with a new head since the valve jr. is really cheap. It seems pretty good for practicing and maybe even small gigs.
Quote by ABRfan
@JKMV11 All the things I don't like on the EC are stupid, but here it they are: I think the headstock is not cool and the flag inlays are pretty lame.

@Y00p Which ones are best for metal? I couldn't really find any oranges that would be good for metal, but the site was kind of confusing. Same with the Blackheart. And the valve jr. doesn't seem like it would be good to be able to bring to places to practice or for playing metal, but that's just based on looks.

I'm thinking that, if I did get the Valve Jr., I might replace it with a new head since the valve jr. is really cheap. It seems pretty good for practicing and maybe even small gigs.

That's what I'm saying, 'With a few pedals to boot'.
I have a Blackheart, 15W's, but with a big fat distortion pedal in front of it, does plenty of metal.
Quote by Y00p
I have a Blackheart, 15W's, but with a big fat distortion pedal in front of it, does plenty of metal.

What's the point of buying a tube amp for practice? Unless he's only going to have one amp and doesn't plan on doing any type of gig, then he shouldn't get a tube amp. Tube amps are not for practice. They're for some gigs
I'm sorry to sound guitar noobish, but I've never done much research on stacks. Now, it says that the head is 5W and the cabinet is 40W on one of the Blackheart models. (Here comes the stupid part) Does that mean I can play through the head alone for practice in my room, then use both of them for gigs and stuff?

Do you think that getting the Valve Jr. and the Boss ME-70 would be a good combination? Or just try to get the necessary pedals I want?
Quote by pedroskins
What's the point of buying a tube amp for practice? Unless he's only going to have one amp and doesn't plan on doing any type of gig, then he shouldn't get a tube amp. Tube amps are not for practice. They're for some gigs

Why? Is one not allowed to have a good tone when one practices?
Quote by pedroskins

for gods sake, people use marshall jcm800 stacks for practice and they barely gig
Quote by ABRfan

Well i think the headstock is the same, but no flag inlays. A little bit more, but pretty much the same features, except it is a higher quality model.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-EC1000-Stealth-Electric-Guitar?sku=476287

Here is an Ibanez:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR421EXFM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512459

Here is the one you were origanally looking at, correct? It looks like a really nice one as well. I love the finish and shape. But again, the pickups could probably be better.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235

How 'bout this Ibanez. Nice specs, and great pickups:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-XPT700-Xiphos-Electric-Guitar?sku=500161

Schecter 7 string?:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Blackjack-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=484195

Another nice Schecter:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C1-Blood-Moon-Electric-Guitar?sku=520219

Micheal Kelly's:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=512296

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Phoenix-Electric-Guitar?sku=512293

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Shadow-Electric-Guitar?sku=512295

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Glory-Electric-Guitar?sku=513848

But then there is always a DBZ. Sorry i keep pushing them so hard, but i believe they are an excellent choice. Although all the other guitars i have mentioned are good, i just think DBZ has something more.

I still recommend the B-52 for the amp, but maybe try this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-Plus-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=582106

Or you might be able to find a 5150 on craigslist or ebay. I found one for $500 a few months ago, but didn't have the money and had another amp in mind.

Another great choice: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

But if you get a chance to try any, then let that be when you make your final decision. A bunch of words on a page can not replace what your ears hear.

Quote by ABRfan
Does that mean I can play through the head alone for practice in my room, then use both of them for gigs and stuff?

No, the head is the electronics, and the cab is the speakers. you need both to play. And remember you need a speaker cable b/t them, not a regular instrument cable. 40W on the cab is the most it can handle. you can't use a 50W amp with a 40W cab. But generally, the cab is way more than the head.

Pedals are nice, but i personally like to have the least number of pedals possible. I like to have an amp that sounds great on its own w/o the need of pedals. The only pedals i really want are reverb, delay, chorus, flange, and maybe and EQ and OD. But the first two are the main ones. I think it is a better idea to invest you money in an amp that sounds good on its own, and then worry about pedals. Don't expect the amp will need pedals; if you do, it probably means you should look into something else. When you try out the amp, make sure it is something that sounds good w/o pedals. If it sounds like it is missing something, try another amp and see if it has everything you are looking for.

But also consider other factors, such as strings, pickups, and the guitar. I got my RM80 a few months ago and it sounded pretty good at first, but i found it was missing something; it lacked the fullness/deepness that i was looking for. Once i changed strings from 10's to 12's, and tuned from D to C, it sounded incredible. I couldn't believe how much better it sounded. Sometimes small things like that affect tone. So be sure to consider all the variables b4 you make your final decision.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Y00p

No there's no problem with it. I might buy a tube amp someday for practice BUT this is only getting his second amp. so there's really not point in getting a tube amp

And besides, I have the KKV with EMG's and I mixed it with a Marshall MG30FX and it sounds great. I don't need a tube amp and I have great tone
Quote by pedroskins
No there's no problem with it. I might buy a tube amp someday for practice BUT this is only getting his second amp. so there's really not point in getting a tube amp

And besides, I have the KKV with EMG's and I mixed it with a Marshall MG30FX and it sounds great. I don't need a tube amp and I have great tone

Yes, but you'd have a similar sound on any guitar with any other kind of pickup. If he invests in a decent small tube amp with some good pedals for added versatility, he will be set for years.
JKMV, thanks a bunch for your help. You've really been the only UGer that's been able to convince to change my decision lol. However, I think I'm going to stick with the Ibanez (RGA42FM) so it hopefully won't be a complete hassle to switch to EMG pick-ups. Obviously I will be going to Guitar Center before I do anything, but they never have what I want, and most of the amps are destroyed.

So I'm thinking of sticking with the Ibanez and getting a halfstack or just a tube amp. My limit is $1100, and my original intention is still to get a really good guitar, though the "really" might come later. And the amp I would like to have so that way I can practice in my room but not have to upgrade again when I get in a band, though from looking online, this doesn't seem very possible.

So guitar: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=502235

Amp1: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

Amp2: Not sure yet, but I'm thinking of mixing and matching a small head/cab combo
Page 1 of 2