Hey guys, my favorite album of all time is BSSM by RHCP. As much as I want to believe that it will never get old, I don't want to kill it by playing it too much. But now I need some new funk rock bands. I already have Incubus' Fungus and SCIENCE. I didn't like either of them that much, to be honest.

Anyway could UG enlighten me to some FUNK?
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
What about other RHCP like Freaky Styley and the such? We of the RHCP thread are very RHCP biased
There's a funk thread in the Blues and Jazz forum. If you really want to get into funk, though, you should listen to older stuff, like Parliament-Funkadelic and Sly and the Family Stone.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
There's really not many bands like RHCP...but the good news is that they've got a ton of material out there to listen to. Try early RHCP like Freaky Stylely or The Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

In fact, The Chili Peppers released a Greatest Hits album of their pre-BSSM era called "What Hits?" I personally love the compilation, maybe you should check it out.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I've heard Mr. Bungle are pretty good. I don't know any of their songs though.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by pbiggie
I've heard Mr. Bungle are pretty good. I don't know any of their songs though.

I've only got one album of theirs and it is very good. Also, I think Fungus Amongus by Incubus is amazing. Nothing gets you more pumped up than listening to Speak Free.

Also, Faith No More and Rage.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
You could try Jane's Addiction. More of a psychedelic heavy metal funk though, not really Pepperish.
Quote by Forkman
You could try Jane's Addiction. More of a psychedelic heavy metal funk though, not really Pepperish.

Yeah, a bit different in style, but still funk rock. Get Ritual de lo Habitual, its an awesome album.
umm, look into the band 'Infectious Grooves'

that band has a LOT of funky tunes, but they have more of a metal quality than a rock sound. Infectious Grooves have members from Suicidal Tendencies, Janes Addiction and Metallica. They have a few good cover songs as well 'Immigrant Song' Led Zeppelin, 'Fame' David Bowie, etc. Definitely worth looking into.

Blast Tyrant - Clutch
That's an album worth checking out too
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
I already have Incubus' Fungus and SCIENCE. I didn't like either of them that much, to be honest.
Listen to them again, since you obviously didn't do it right the first time.

Also, get Mother's Milk by RHCP. Its better than BSSM imo.

Nothing gets you more pumped up than listening to Speak Free.
This.

Jane's Addiction, Faith No More, and Mr. Bungle are the only other funk rock bands I can think of. They aren't very abundant unfortunately. There's Primus too, but you probably won't like them immediately. They're a different kind of band.
Last edited by guitarhero_764 at Sep 9, 2009,
I just thought of Phish, one song by them that seems funk-rockish to me is Down With Disease.

And I personally love Primus...but they're so weird and out there I doubt you'd see any funk rock in their songs and you'd just think "What the fuck?"

But if you are willing to experiment with Primus, Tommy the Cat is a good place to start if you're looking for their funk-rock side. Pretty much the whole Sailing the Seas of Cheese album is probably their funkiest.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by flea's trumpet

Blast Tyrant - Clutch
That's an album worth checking out too

Good album but not at all Funk related.

Only Mr Bungle's Self titled has the funk sound. The other albums are quite a departure from it.
sly and the family stone is a good suggestion. And bonus points to the guy who said street sweeper social club.. not really all that funk but you can groove on it.