how important is it? i wanted to get a agile hornet pro 7 bu t i think it doesnt have one and im intrigued by what that specific "part" does, i think its present in all higher end guitars
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
it's called a "volute" and it's really just a safety feature to strengthen the headstock. angled headstocks are much more likely to break at that exact point (gibsons are notorious for this) so some companies have started adding volutes to regular production models to help out. i had an ibanez that had one and hated it, but it never got in my way while i played. i just always felt like it would it's a good feature to have as long as it doesn't bother your playing, but it's not essential at all
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
I think he means the heel. It isn't that important, it's mostly a preference thing whether you get a guitar with one or not.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
I'd say it's something you want to look for, but not something that should turn you down from making a selection.
purely aesthetic.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
so it has no function at all?
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by devit
so it has no function at all?

besides looking good (if you think so), what function COULD it have? I mean, its a piece of wood carved a little differently at the headstock lol.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal

no, it definitely CAN help. how much is debatable, it's only a bigger piece of wood, but it's more mass to try to prevent ^ that.

although, the only way to completely re-enforce the headstock would be to purposely break it and re-glue it, since glue is stronger than wood. some people do that, but i feel like breaking a guitar on purpose is just asking for trouble.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

no, it definitely CAN help. how much is debatable, it's only a bigger piece of wood, but it's more mass to try to prevent ^ that.

although, the only way to completely re-enforce the headstock would be to purposely break it and re-glue it, since glue is stronger than wood. some people do that, but i feel like breaking a guitar on purpose is just asking for trouble.

Lol well anyone in my opinion who is going to be treating guitars like that doesn't deserve to play one.

Unless of course your playing live and you have a ton of money:
http://images.inmagine.com/img/creatas/cr15442/cr15442058.jpg
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
true, you should always be careful. but guitars with an angled headstock are just asking for trouble. set it down string-side-up and put a little pressure on the top (anything from sitting on it to just setting something on top of it) and that headstock is doomed. my first guitar was an ibanez, and as soon as i walked in to my first guitar lesson my teacher warned me about this. no guitar plays worse than a broken one! haha

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
true, you should always be careful. but guitars with an angled headstock are just asking for trouble. set it down string-side-up and put a little pressure on the top (anything from sitting on it to just setting something on top of it) and that headstock is doomed. my first guitar was an ibanez, and as soon as i walked in to my first guitar lesson my teacher warned me about this. no guitar plays worse than a broken one! haha

no doubt about that
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
now the only thing influencing my decision is that on has an ofr and on doesnt...but one is 350 less than another one...more than 2x the price of a ofr
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by devit
now the only thing influencing my decision is that on has an ofr and on doesnt...but one is 350 less than another one...more than 2x the price of a ofr

well, get the one without and if you really think you need an ofr then have one installed
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!