Page 1 of 2
Could someone please provide specific examples/explanations of the following terms:

Chug Chugs

Djent Djents

Breakdowns

I've heard that Meshuggah has tons of Djent Djents, what are they?

What are some good songs that have chug chugs in them?

Also, what are some good breakdowns, are they like interludes that include chug chugs, or do they have riffs?

How are chug chugs different than riffs? Is chug chugs another word for breakdown? Also does music outside of the metalcore genre have breakdowns, bands like Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, etc...or do only core bands have breakdowns (Emmure)?
Sticky this shit.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
your foray into metal should end here before further failure is brought to the attention of everyone here on UG and you plague metal with retarded comments such as the above posted.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
your foray into metal should end here before further failure is brought to the attention of everyone here on UG and you plague metal with retarded comments such as the above posted.

but i like alot of good metal bands like Cynic, Atheist, Meshuggah, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, and many more
Oh, I know what you mean. You should check out some Pantera. Plenty of chugs and djents. And maybe the occasional breakdown.
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

Well, breakdowns typically consist of individual falling to hysteria and going into a crying fit.

Chug Chugs, Also known as the noise the train makes as it passes by.

Djent Djent..

Last edited by severed-metal at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Seaneh
Oh, I know what you mean. You should check out some Pantera. Plenty of chugs and djents. And maybe the occasional breakdown.

nice one, but Gojira is miles ahead of Pantera,
Quote by Helloween4Ever
Cynic arent good.

you're right, they're ****ing AWESOME wtf was i thinking labeling them as "good"
severed-metal, first quote you have in your sig... it always makes me laugh... my favorite quoted thing here on UG so far

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by sweeptehsweepz

Yo mama is miles ahead of Pantera!
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

Quote by Dopemgs
Chug chugs are high-gained palm muted sounds from the guitar. The punchy ones which sound as if it's CHUGGING... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1JLhB0Zr8
Djent djents are high gained palm muted sounds from the guitar.The knife-like ones...Which sound DJENTISH... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SyYVJhKuQA

they're both high gain palm mutes, but how do you produce them? I mean are they both the same thing?
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
you're right, they're ****ing AWESOME wtf was i thinking labeling them as "good"

whatever floats your boat.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
they're both high gain palm mutes, but how do you produce them? I mean are they both the same thing?

Try raping your amp like Bass to 10 treble to 10 mids to 10 for the chugs and for the djents something like bass 5 mids 5 treble 10 DUNNO play around do I look like a fu(oh you know it's coming...)cking dictionary?
We'll 'chug chugs' are pretty much that heavy sound you get from palm muting power chords. 'Djent djents' to my knowledge are pretty much that sound that meshuggah always does, like twang the string and mute it right after(?)... And there are generally two different types of breakdowns, hardcore and deathmetal. Hardcore is most common and is featured in most 'core' bands songs. Its where the songs tempo slows and the guitars are 'chugging' so to speak, while the drums generally base the tempo off the crash cymbal. And in deathmetal they are the opposite, they are usually extemely fast. Like a 600 note riff with blastbeats going haywire.

Bands outside of hardcore (corebands) do soemtimes use hardcore breakdowns. Between the buried and me do (they are pretty metalcore, well there old stuff is anyway) and the faceless incorporate breakdowns in a couple of songs
Woot! New Zealand...
Quote by espguitar//
We'll 'chug chugs' are pretty much that heavy sound you get from palm muting power chords. 'Djent djents' to my knowledge are pretty much that sound that meshuggah always does, like twang the string and mute it right after(?)... And there are generally two different types of breakdowns, hardcore and deathmetal. Hardcore is most common and is featured in most 'core' bands songs. Its where the songs tempo slows and the guitars are 'chugging' so to speak, while the drums generally base the tempo off the crash cymbal. And in deathmetal they are the opposite, they are usually extemely fast. Like a 600 note riff with blastbeats going haywire.

Bands outside of hardcore (corebands) do soemtimes use hardcore breakdowns. Between the buried and me do (they are pretty metalcore, well there old stuff is anyway) and the faceless incorporate breakdowns in a couple of songs

got any examples of good breakdowns? I don't know what to look for in a song, that signals an approaching breakdown?
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
hey man, this isn't the 80s anymore, hair metal is dead, lamer

*looks at my name*
Yeah, Helloween are very hair metal.
and on my profile, im waay to lazy to change it, so yeah.
and btw, i'd rather be kicked in the crotch 100 tiems then listen to cynic. worst music i've ever heard.
and kids, that what we call an opinon.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
got any examples of good breakdowns? I don't know what to look for in a song, that signals an approaching breakdown?

a different breed of killer and whitechapel have insane breakdowns. and the rest of their songs are pretty sick too. Check out the song Liberation of a Giant by A Different Breed of killer for a nice breakdown riff and the song Of Legions by Whitechapel is essentially one huge breakdown after 59 seconds in, just for an example

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
there are plenty of videos on youtube showcasing breakdowns. im not really a big fan of them really. I do like beneath the massacre though, there ones rape.
Woot! New Zealand...
Quote by espguitar//
there are plenty of videos on youtube showcasing breakdowns. im not really a big fan of them really. I do like beneath the massacre though, there ones rape.

bands that do it for every song and make them really boring = hate
bands that do it once in a while, make it really interesting and throw other awesome riffs over it = win

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
yea, after hearing some "breakdowns" i'm beginning to think they're not for me. I heard of Born Of Osiris, and I think they use what are called "Breakdowns" and that's what got me interested, but these other "breakdowns" are more meh...
Ok, so new people to the forums.

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, learn to edit your posts. Double posting is breaking the rules, and can be reported if someone anal enough can be found to report it.

Right underneath your post, there's an edit button. As well, you can also delete your post when editing it.

Quote by sweeptehsweepz
yea, after hearing some "breakdowns" i'm beginning to think they're not for me. I heard of Born Of Osiris, and I think they use what are called "Breakdowns" and that's what got me interested, but these other "breakdowns" are more meh...

Agreed.
Born of Osiris use weird time signatures and theres are interesting.
Try checking out the faceless and beneath the massacre. Thats ****s tight

Your standard deathcore ones bore me really. Over used to much!!!
Woot! New Zealand...
Quote by espguitar//
Agreed.
Born of Osiris use weird time signatures and theres are interesting.
Try checking out the faceless and beneath the massacre. Thats ****s tight

Your standard deathcore ones bore me really. Over used to much!!!

thanks for the recommendations, and I LOVE FACELESS, so I'll deff check out btm
Quote by severed-metal
Ok, so new people to the forums.

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, learn to edit your posts. Double posting is breaking the rules, and can be reported if someone anal enough can be found to report it.

Right underneath your post, there's an edit button. As well, you can also delete your post when editing it.

yeh oops.

forgot about it. Taken note of.
Woot! New Zealand...
breakdowns? Good ones?

How aboot the breakdown in Slit Your Guts by Cryptopsy.

OR just listen to Suffocation's first two albums. They have tons of good, metal breakdowns.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by severed-metal
Well, breakdowns typically consist of individual falling to hysteria and going into a crying fit.

Chug Chugs, Also known as the noise the train makes as it passes by.

Djent Djent..

Spot on
Church burning is good for the (social) environment

_██_
(ಠ_ృ--------

Quote by theknuckster
It's like you take vodka, and then dilute it down until it's pretty much water, but still call it vodka, and proceed to pretend to get heavily wasted off it.
Quote by sweeptehsweepz
hey man, this isn't the 80s anymore, hair metal is dead, lamer

This just has to be sigged. Quick, someone!
Philosophy > Life
breakdown at 39 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUnsHMMUNU&feature=related

breakdown with just "chugs" 57 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUnsHMMUNU&feature=related

The former is used mostly in hardcore/hardcore punk songs, while the latter is predominant in most metalcore/deathcore songs. And plenty of hardcore bands have "good" breakdowns, but seeing how this is the metal forum, I'll refrain from posting a list of hardcore bands.
Last edited by technicolour at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by sweeptehsweepz

HELL YES!

pantera still rules though
Wow, I'm still not sure what "djents" are besides that Meshuggah plays them.
Quote by Helloween4Ever
*looks at my name*
Yeah, Helloween are very hair metal.
and on my profile, im waay to lazy to change it, so yeah.
and btw, i'd rather be kicked in the crotch 100 tiems then listen to cynic. worst music i've ever heard.
and kids, that what we call an opinon.
You know, you can dislike a band and still admit that they are good. Cynic is good whether you personally like them or not.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Masonpwiley
You know, you can dislike a band and still admit that they are good. Cynic is good whether you personally like them or not.

What is your definition of "good", then? Good is a completely subjective description. You can say they're talented, but not like them, you can say they're interesting but not like them. You can not say they're good, but not like them.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
What is your definition of "good", then? Good is a completely subjective description. You can say they're talented, but not like them, you can say they're interesting but not like them. You can not say they're good, but not like them.
Okay. They are talented whether you like them or not. To say they make the worst music ever is very ignorant.
Once again, all subjective.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Page 1 of 2