Page 1 of 3
The average Dready in the UK leaves uni with $45000 of debts, including loans from the Dready foundation.

So would it not be better for society and for graduates to have free Dready education?

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The average Dready in the UK leaves uni with $45000 of debts, including loans from the Dready foundation.

So would it not be better for society and for graduates to have free Dready education?

Not Dready!!

I left in credit thanks to the Dreadnought foundation..
It should be free. Congrats on your first thread that doesn't suck.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
It would be better for society if everyone receoved a million dollars. But do you know why everyone can't? That's right, Fassa, money isn't just given away.
Quote by Reveluzionairo
Not Scotland!!

I left in credit thanks to the Scottish government.

No you leave with credit because the English subsidize the Scottish.
NO!! Think about how much your taxes would be!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by BrashPersona
No you leave with credit because the English subsidize the Scottish.

even better but it is BECAUSE there is a Scottish government that i left with zero debts.

anyone needs to borrow a fiver just let me know k?
you should think this through a bit more methinks.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
My dad's a prof so I get free tuition for 4 years. Also, I earned $6,000 of scholarships, so I'm essentially getting paid to go to University.
Quote by due 07
It would be better for society if everyone received a million dollars. But do you know why everyone can't? That's right, Fassa, money isn't just given away.

That's not the point. The Government is constantly prattling on about how it wants more graduates in the workforce.

You want something, you pay for it.
Quote by RobinTrower12
My dad's a prof so I get free tuition for 4 years. Also, I earned $6,000 of scholarships, so I'm essentially getting paid to go to University.

It would definitely be better for society. High taxes would obviously result, so there could be controversy. If that does happen, there should still be requirements and standards to get in just like normal so that they don't get all clogged up with idiots.
do you know how many stupid people there are in America? Plus the ones who actually are in college? Its insane. Yes, it would be great if everything could continue their educations after high school, but the sad fact is there are many people who don't want to and I don't want taxes to be raised for someone who might not even try to do good.
I go to college for free.
I still believe everyone should be able to get a free excellent eduction.
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Quote by bloodtrocuted93
It would definitely be better for society. High taxes would obviously result, so there could be controversy. If that does happen, there should still be requirements and standards to get in just like normal so that they don't get all clogged up with idiots.

Ooops...the English get taxed to the hilt already
Quote by mckraf
do you know how many stupid people there are in America? Plus the ones who actually are in college? Its insane. Yes, it would be great if everything could continue their educations after high school, but the sad fact is there are many people who don't want to and I don't want taxes to be raised for someone who might not even try to do good.

At least one
Ireland has free third level education. You still have to pass the entrance exams. Our taxes are lower than those in most countries.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
To those withing a certain margin. For what I'm going to say, I'll use a grading scale: 70-100 is passing, and anything below that is failing.

I think that people that just barely manage to graduate high school (Meaning a 70-80 in most/all classes) should not receive free, government funded education. Of course, this is a lot like scholarships, but the difference is that the government is automatically paying for your education and you don't have to apply for 10 different scholarship programs and hope to get at least one of them.
In Ireland we don't have to pay college fees. All we pay is registration fee, which can be as high as €1500 per year.

But I agree that it should be free, just like school.

Edit: Damn, Ur All $h1t beat me
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Last edited by -NOFX- at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by diminishedtobme
No. Only the deserving may go. Who will be there to make awesome music?

Fixed
lulz. Paying for college? Lame.
I loove my "free" education
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
i've left uni with 18k debt, its brilliant how the scottish seemingly dont have to pay (well according to Reveluzionairo) and the welsh as far as i know know dont have to pay for prescriptions for medicine etc. do we get anything? now i have nothing against the welsh or scottish (incase that small rant came across that way) but i do have a problem with the system. either charge everyone, or charge no one.

/political crap/probably being severly ill informed.

Make me laugh people... go ahead, make me laugh...
Last edited by Rhythmic at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Rhythmic
i've left uni with 18k debt, its brilliant how the scottish seemingly dont have to pay (well according to Reveluzionairo) and the welsh as far as i know know dont have to pay for prescriptions for medicine etc. do we get anything? now i have nothing against the welsh or scottish (incase that small rant came across that way) but i do have a problem with the system.

/political crap/probably being severly ill informed.

If you are a newly qualified English graduate who drives smokes and drinks you are being shafted right up the butthole. At least a quarter of your income is going to the government.

Protip:-emigrate.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
Apparently if you have debts from university in the UK you can just go abroad and live somewhere for 2 years. Your debts are totally cleared. That's my plan anyway - off to Canada! This country is getting a bit cruddy for my liking, anyway. Especially with the new drink laws being imposed ¬.¬

By that I mean it's going to be illegal to serve/buy a drink for someone who is 'POSSIBLY' drunk, getting fined £2000 for serving someone the wrong mixer, not being able to buy doubles, no drink promotions or deals... All being guinea-pig tested in Scotland.

I expect rioting!
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Quote by diminishedtobme
No. Only the deserving may go. Who will be there to work our mcdonalds?

Oh lawdy, I hope that's a sarcasm.

And yeah, I do think it'd be better. I wouldn't mind more taxes, it would mean the cost is fairly distributed over everyone instead of meaning the poor are unable to go, can't get a good job and will remain poor.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
That's not the point. The Government is constantly prattling on about how it wants more graduates in the workforce.

You want something, you pay for it.
You want something you earn it.

Imho, University should be subsidized by the government.
First semester is free to all who have sufficient academic standing in HS or JC.
After that, the student's performance would determine whether or not they continue on a free-ride.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
maby not free but highly subsidized, and a set of reasonable standards that keep morons from pissing away the governments money so that it could go to people who need it

but this will never happen
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Talonwolf
Apparently if you have debts from university in the UK you can just go abroad and live somewhere for 2 years. Your debts are totally cleared. That's my plan anyway - off to Canada! This country is getting a bit cruddy for my liking, anyway. Especially with the new drink laws being imposed ¬.¬

By that I mean it's going to be illegal to serve/buy a drink for someone who is 'POSSIBLY' drunk, getting fined £2000 for serving someone the wrong mixer, not being able to buy doubles, no drink promotions or deals... All being guinea-pig tested in Scotland.

I expect rioting!

Sorry mate this is not correct. The student loans company haunt people i know for a long time into their 30s. You have to be earning a certain amount to pay it back but they do get you. Im led to believe they have associates in other countries also if you emigrate (i worked with a girl who worked there).

And regarding no doubles....just buy 2 ****ing singles.
Last edited by Reveluzionairo at Sep 6, 2009,
No not nessarily "free" but atleast alot more affordable and realistic so working people don't have to worry about going bankrupt. Alot of the colleges/university prices are just downright insane. You basically have to have a fortune to go to college these days. Oh and it doesn't help that my books this year were over 100-150$ each.....so....

i'd just want them to have much lower costs.

Most of your tuition goes towrds landscaping/campus presentation-dick stroking and other **** not related to education. I'm paying to learn, not mow the f u c k i n g dean's golf course.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by justinb904
maby not free but highly subsidized, and a set of reasonable standards that keep morons from pissing away the governments money so that it could go to people who need it

but this will never happen

It already happens. In Ireland entry to university is based entirely on merit through an anonymous and highly competitive exam system. The government pays for you to do your degree. However if you need to repeat a class, or a year, then you pay for it yourself.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

First semester is free to all who have sufficient academic standing in HS or JC.
After that, the student's performance would determine whether or not they continue on a free-ride.

That's a pretty good sounding system if you ask me. The only problem is some people are just naturally more intelligent than others, meaning those who struggle but put a lot of work in would end up even worse due to having to work more hours and being unable to study. Not to mention more stress.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I failed a year at uni and was forced to repeat a year after they found out my academic performance was affected by serious illness.

Under your system I would be forced to pay for at least one year out of my own pocket. Is that fair bearing in mind it wasn't my fault I failed a year?
Quote by Reveluzionairo
Sorry mate this is not correct. The student loans company haunt people i know for a long time into their 30s. You have to be earning a certain amount to pay it back but they do get you. Im led to believe they have associates in other countries also if you emigrate (i worked with a girl who worked there).

And regarding no doubles....just buy 2 ****ing singles.

My point is it's dumb. Plus buying 2 singles means it would be more expensive than buying 1 double.

Quote by blue_strat
I don't use university for political and moral reasons.

I'm surprised it took this long.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Page 1 of 3