Poll: Modelling amps
Poll Options
View poll results: Modelling amps
Peavy Vypyr 75
2 100%
Line 6 Spider IV 75
0 0%
Voters: 2.
I need help deciding on a decent combo amp that could be used for small gigs and playing with a drummer (my brother) and other guitar players. I could only probably afford $400 max. So far i have been checking out the peavey vypyr 75, i liked its tone better than the 75 watt line 6 spider 3. Is it a good amp? Im open to any suggestions on other good amps.
Genres?
Do you use pedals?

If you play metal you might wanna check out a B-52 AT-112.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Well my gear rite now is a line 6 spider 3 15 and an epiphone les paul standard, i need to up amp size so i can play small gigs when i need to. I play anything from classic rock. ( zepplin, clapton) to metal (metallica,megadeth,pantera). I dont play really heavy metal like lamb of god or anything but i like to have some high gain for solos. I also like guns n roses, (i love slashs tone).
My current gear:
2004 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seagull 25th Anniversary Edition
Peavey Vypyr 75
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
I'll second that B-52 at112 then.

I'll get flamed for this one, try a valveking 112. *holds up protective armor*
Yeah B-52 would work. And the Spider Valves are pretty good... not sure if they are loud enough for gigs but they're on sale for $400 now...
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
the spider valve is plenty loud. And if you buy before tuesday you can get them for $349.00 at the usual new stores....

coughsamashorguitarcentercough
Quote by gregs1020
I'll second that B-52 at112 then.

I'll get flamed for this one, try a valveking 112. *holds up protective armor*

It's really not that bad of an amp. Good, cheap tube amp, that, with tweaking, can be made into a pretty decent amp.

Not biased or anything, because I also play through my friends Soldano
The Vypyr 75 is actually a phenomenal amp...to all you tone junkies out there who have previously hated modeling gear, I suggest you go out and try it. I've always hated modeling gear 'cause it sounded so corny; PODs, Digitech RP's, Boss multi-effects, Vox Tonelab, etc. but as an idea, it's fantastic, so I kept my eyes open for the last 5 years or so, watching the progression of modeling technology.

Anyways, this is the first impressive offering in the bargain price-range. If you like the sounds you get, I would suggest going for it. You really can't do better for $300.
Quote by SMB13
It's really not that bad of an amp. Good, cheap tube amp, that, with tweaking, can be made into a pretty decent amp.

Not biased or anything, because I also play through my friends Soldano

Agreed. I had a small Soldano combo at one time. It just wasn't for me in the end, I'd of rather had a VK honestly. Not all high end stuff is right for everybody. I don't judge amps by their price tag, and I'm not saying you do just pointing that out.

TS - also try a Vox VT100.
Quote by gregs1020
Agreed. I had a small Soldano combo at one time. It just wasn't for me in the end, I'd of rather had a VK honestly. Not all high end stuff is right for everybody. I don't judge amps by their price tag, and I'm not saying you do just pointing that out.

TS - also try a Vox VT100.

I like the Clean Channel on my VK, but the Soldano distortion beats it for Modern Metal. That gain boost just makes it sound so thin IMO.

But that's what my TS-9 is for, lol.

Also, I agree on the Vox
The spider valve is a bit pricey for me (im 14 and no job) but id love to have a tube amp, the vypyr on the other hand sounds really good for a solid state. I like the tone of the valve king but i dont think it gets heavy enough for metal. Also with a tube amp id have to buy more pedals for more sounds
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Lp4life
The spider valve is a bit pricey for me (im 14 and no job) but id love to have a tube amp, the vypyr on the other hand sounds really good for a solid state. I like the tone of the valve king but i dont think it gets heavy enough for metal. Also with a tube amp id have to buy more pedals for more sounds

Just get a Bad Monkey OD for the VK, and there you go. Not the "M0ST AWZ0M3Z M3T4LZ T0N3 EVARZ," but for a cheap tube amp, it isn't too bad.

But, since you don't want to get extra pedals, go with the Vypyr.
well its not like i dont want to get pedals (id take a pedal board over modeling gear anyday) but im at the point where i need something to bridge the gap from practice amp to high end gigging amp. Also, ive only been playing for almost 3 years, so i still dont know what pedals i like to get for my future rig.thats not the only reason id get the amp, i like the tone for the price too. I think the peavey is a great way to find out. Id get a tube amp and pedals if i could but im on a budget so itd probably only be the amp and no pedals.
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
I should have mentioned that im canadian so most of those sites prices are different ( eg the vypyr 75 is $299 on guitarcenter but 349 here and 400 with taxes)
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Lp4life
I should have mentioned that im canadian so most of those sites prices are different ( eg the vypyr 75 is $299 on guitarcenter but 349 here and 400 with taxes)

Well i would suggest the Peavey Vypyr 75w, i own in it and i found that i could either get a Valveking or Vypyr for the same price, so basically i had to pick between the best SS amp for $300 (american) or the worst tube (its not the worst for for comparison wise) and i went with the Vypyr, and im glad i did
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Pennderinn
Well i would suggest the Peavey Vypyr 75w, i own in it and i found that i could either get a Valveking or Vypyr for the same price, so basically i had to pick between the best SS amp for $300 (american) or the worst tube (its not the worst for for comparison wise) and i went with the Vypyr, and im glad i did

Would you rely on it for a gig? How is its build quality?? Are u satisfied with it? And do u have the footswitch?
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
implying the Vypyr is the best SS amp

They're good for the price range, but far from the best...

implying that the Valveking is the worst tube amp

Now there's a vast misconception on UG that Valvekings are horrible amps and always will be. I'll probably be among the first to tell you that after a speaker swap and EQ pedal at the minimum, good tone is easy to get. There are many other amps that benefit from these same accessories, often to a similar degree of the Valveking.

Don't believe all the bandwagons you see. A used Valveking with those upgrades just may be your best bet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
They're good for the price range, but far from the best...

Now there's a vast misconception on UG that Valvekings are horrible amps and always will be. I'll probably be among the first to tell you that after a speaker swap and EQ pedal at the minimum, good tone is easy to get. There are many other amps that benefit from these same accessories, often to a similar degree of the Valveking.

Don't believe all the bandwagons you see. A used Valveking with those upgrades just may be your best bet.

+1

I didn't even speak swap mine. Just used an EQ and an OD, and it sounds pretty good. I'd love to imagine what it could do with a V30 in it.
Well despite all thats been said, I think I'll go with the vypyr 75 because i dont have the money to buy a tube amp AND pedals. Does anyone have anything to say about the vypyr? Anything I should know?
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75