Obviously im going to try them out first but what do you guys recommend? I love Clapton., mostly his work with Cream but Derek and the Dominoes and his solo stuff, Rich Robinson and Keith Richards i love. I Also like Page, Cantrell, Hendrix and Slash. I want that Keith Richards crunch sound but then being able to go into something heavy (not to heavy but Alice in Chains/GNR heavy) and then some bluesy guitar like Clapton or Buddy Guy. So whats the best? The Tele, Strat, or Strat HSS. Oh yea im looking to get a MIM one too if that has anything to do with it.
As the bands you listed are a pretty even spread between using Strats, Tele's and other guitars, you're just going to have to try them. You might also want to consider the 72 Deluxe Tele. I say it's between that and a Fat Strat.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Get an HSS Strat I love mine, it pritty much covers everything, im a huge AiC fan, and stones and clapton it does it well, mine is a delux 06 American HSS Strat
Quote by amicone18
Get an HSS Strat I love mine, it pritty much covers everything, im a huge AiC fan, and stones and clapton it does it well, mine is a delux 06 American HSS Strat

Thats what im leaning towards but does it get that Stones crunch? I need an amp to but i dont know what to get. I'm looking to spen 4-500 on a guitar and 250-300 on an amp.
I'd go with the HSS.

You've got the heavy crunch for GnR and AiC type sounds, but you've got the strat sounds in positions 2-5 as well. Pretty versatile.

Or, what I would do is get a regular strat (SSS) and replace the bridge with a hot rails. That's what my tutor did, and his guitar is amazing.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Would it get that Cream sound? I know clapton played gibsons back then but those do have humbuckers.
Check out the nashville teles.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by aerosmith513
Would it get that Cream sound? I know clapton played gibsons back then but those do have humbuckers.

I think so. But then again sound is also in the amp. As well as a multitude of other things.

You're just gonna want a really warm fat overdrive. Imo, that's probably best accomplished with a really warm amp like a Vox or something, or a vintage Fender Blues, y'know? Maybe a distortion pedal as well, but as far as warm and fat goes, that's the humbucker's game. The same goes for the hotrails - They're virtually a humbucker in a single coil size. My tutor has no problem getting the Clapton sound (all eras) and no problem getting down some metal crunch either, even through his Peavey knockoff of a Fender Blues.

But the best thing to do is try!

Also, remember that tone is in the equipment, yes, but tone is also in the fingers. Clapton, as well as you, or I, or _________, has a special way of playing things that can't be replicated. Try your best, but don't try to perfect it. I'd work more on perfecting your own sound personally.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 6, 2009,
Quote by StratPat
**** strats, get a tele.

No vs threads also....

It's not really a vs thread.

A vs thread is where someone says something such as "Do you think Fender > Gibson".
This is a thread asking for recommendations of which of those 2 to buy.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by aerosmith513
Obviously im going to try them out first but what do you guys recommend? I love Clapton., mostly his work with Cream but Derek and the Dominoes and his solo stuff, Rich Robinson and Keith Richards i love. I Also like Page, Cantrell, Hendrix and Slash. I want that Keith Richards crunch sound but then being able to go into something heavy (not to heavy but Alice in Chains/GNR heavy) and then some bluesy guitar like Clapton or Buddy Guy. So whats the best? The Tele, Strat, or Strat HSS. Oh yea im looking to get a MIM one too if that has anything to do with it.

Well there kind of conflicting.

I'd say a strat - possibly HSS - It will be more versatile. You're not going to get slash from a tele (Or I would think not!)Then again the Stairway solo WAS recorded on a tele...

Meh... IMO go the HSS strat
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
I have a Tele with a neck humbucker and a five way switch. That is one versatile sounding guitar.
Thanks for the help guys, i think i will go with a Strat HSS but it all depends on what i like the best when i go to guitar center.
I would go with a Telecaster, you'd be surprised at the tones such a simple guitar can give you. However amp is also important to the equation. What amp do you plan to buy? If you are looking for creamy overdrive I would check one of these amps out, nice little Vox tube combo
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=476326
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R