Hey, I've got a US Fender Strat, and I've been noticing for the past few months that whenever I play some sort of power chord and bend a higher string, the power chord goes out of tune, almost like I'm using a whammy bar just for the lower strings. I've kinda dismissed it up until now that I've made a song that requires me to do that for the chorus...which wouldn't sound good during a performance. What's going on - is that normal? I certainly hope not! Also, I've tried many things to stop my strings from going out of tune while using a whammy bar, like putting a little bit of pencil lead into the nut, restringing my guitar in a certain way, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? Should I just take my guitar to a music shop and ask them to fix it up? :P
i think hipshot makes a product so that the rest of your strings don't go out of tune when you bend one. it's pretty cool, and sounds like it's made exactly for your situation. not sure how well it works, but i've heard some good things. never tried one myself

EDIT: http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115

i think that's the one.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
IF you've got a tremolo and you bend a string, it's going to change the pitch of any note that's being played. It shouldn't be THAT noticeble though o.O Have you considered blocking off the trem?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It's gonna do that, because when you bend the strings, it causes your string tension to be greater than your spring tension.

Cardinal Rule of Tremolos: String Tension = Spring Tension

One thing you can do is tighten the tremolo springs, but then it'd be harder to whammy.
Hardtail
Get a fixed bridge.

Good luck!
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i think hipshot makes a product so that the rest of your strings don't go out of tune when you bend one. it's pretty cool, and sounds like it's made exactly for your situation. not sure how well it works, but i've heard some good things. never tried one myself

i think that's the one.

Oh! That's like an addon version of what Ibanez started putting in their guitars. I took it off because I wanted to flutter. :/
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
It's normal for guitars with a tremolo. My Ibanez does it as well. It can be very annoying, it even happens at double stop bends, but eventually you'll find a way around it.
it will happen on any trem fitted guitar where the player hasn`t mastered the technique of compensating at the bridge end when bending.

ibanez stopped fitting those tremsetter-like devices years ago
Quote by ibanezgod1973
it will happen on any trem fitted guitar where the player hasn`t mastered the technique of compensating at the bridge end when bending.

ibanez stopped fitting those tremsetter-like devices years ago

For a god of Ibanez, you sure aren't up to date.

All of their new "Zero" bridges have a tremsetter. It's called a Zero Point System. They have the ZR in all of their S guitars, and Edge Zeros in all of their RG's.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
the zero point system is not the same...this is what i`m referring to not the zps

i also note that a lot of your posts are argumentative .....free advice = grow up!

and i`m not professing to be a god of ibanez your just another child that has mistaken the true nature of my user name...i`m not going to tell you either lets see how intteligent you are.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by triestobeat
It's funny how a lot of 16 year olds call out 14 year olds on "being kids." Most UG users are kids, and if you don't like how things are run, then head over to HC. It's a much more mature forum with people usually in their 40's/50's. In saying that, I'm not assuming that you're 16, but the fact that you said "i'm not going to tell you either lets see how intteligent you are" made me burst out with laughter, because you, the one professing that you're smarter than the guy who called you out, can't even spell intelligent right.

I'm thinking that was the whole point...
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the zero point system is not the same...this is what i`m referring to not the zps

i also note that a lot of your posts are argumentative .....free advice = grow up!

and i`m not professing to be a god of ibanez your just another child that has mistaken the true nature of my user name...i`m not going to tell you either lets see how intteligent you are.

Can't use the proper contraction of "you're" either. It's sad when people start ranting about my generation when they themselves can't fully measure up.

The point is, the ZPS is essentially a trem-setter. While it's different than the one in your Jem, it's a tremsetter none-the-less. If you wanted to make a better arguement, you could have said, "Ibanez stopped putting the (model name) tremsetters in their guitars years ago. Because, obviously they are still putting in tremsetters, just different ones.

And I appreciate all the defense guys. Ty!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

i think that's the one.

So, if I wanted to stop the strings from going out of tune when I use the whammy bar, would that product help? Or would I have to get a fixed bridge? Especially if I tried some divebombing?
Quote by music addiction
So, if I wanted to stop the strings from going out of tune when I use the whammy bar, would that product help? Or would I have to get a fixed bridge? Especially if I tried some divebombing?

Before I bought one of those, I'd learn to compensate with the whammy bar. Since you're increasing string tension, then pull the whammy bar up just a bit. It'll take some practice, but it's cheaper and less of a hastle than that.

Another thing you can do, is if it's a non-floating trem, then you can tighten the springs inside a bit. Whammy-ing will be a little bit harder, but the springs will be able to compensate for the increase of string tension when you bend.

If you don't want to do any of that, you can buy the tremsetter and install it for $50 bucks, plus shipping, plus installation. Unless you want to do it yourself, but then if you screw up, you're to blame and can't be compensated. Also, if your guitar is under warranty, it'll void the warranty and if any complications arise, you're SOL.

It's your call, but if it were my guitar, I'd avoid the tremsetter for as long as I could.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!