Page 1 of 2
Ok, i asked a question sometime last week about general bass technique as compared to guitar technique, and amongst the general raucous was a little argument over whether one should or should not use a pick to play bass.

now that i've actually had a chance to play around with my bass, i've found that a pick seems to generally sound better, and it allows for me to add changes in rhythm, timing, etc all a lot easier.

what i'm wondering is, should i try to ween myself off of the pick? is it IN GENERAL better to be able to play fingerstyle? Or does it really all depend on what the song needs?

btw, i'm going to be playing in a worship band, so everything that i'm going to be doing at this point is going to be really freaking simple stuff.

anyway, thanks for the help!
Sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It's preference and what the song needs. Learn both and use both. You can use one as your main of course. I only break out a pick every once in a long long while...like at the end of iron man with my cover band.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I would learn both.
I use both.
Most people use both.
Ignorant people think one is more superior.
^True, but smart people know which to use in whatever situation for best sound or just prefer one over the other.
ok, cool. thanks. that's what i was thinking about trying. i hope that i keep bass up. it's pretty awesome so far, and plus it would be cool to have a reason to upgrade from the squier that i have on extended borrow now lol

thanks y'all!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
if you are using a weak amp, I'd use a pick. the clicky texture really helps kick through a mix.

make sure you can use both well.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
if you are using a weak amp, I'd use a pick. the clicky texture really helps kick through a mix.

make sure you can use both well.

^yea, that's my current situation. i've got a little, old(ish) fender 25 watt thing, which is decently loud, but yea. i'll find out when i get it in with other instruments i guess
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
25 watts won't be enough for a band setting, you could probably crank everything all the way and not have it audible. Plus it would lose sound quality at high volumes on a low watt amp like that.
double post maniac

and that's a practice amp, brah.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

@humanity - lol i blame UG. It wouldn't let me post because i had "already posted." and so i hit it again. i'll get it though.

@edgeyyz- in the band situation i'm in, it will be fine. trust me. i use the term "band" lightly. it's going to be basically two acoustic guitars at very low volumes with singers pus a bass, all in a small environment. besides. since i don't know if i'm going to truly "stick" with bass, then i'm not going and buying gear for this lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
OK, that may work fine then, I assumed you meant with a drummer and guitarist plugged into an amp.
Quote by edgeyyz
OK, that may work fine then, I assumed you meant with a drummer and guitarist plugged into an amp.

ah, no lol. the largest guitar amp that we may end up using is a 15watter. we will have a drum, but it's just a single African bongo sorta thing. it's pronounced jimbay, but i know that that is incredibly misspelled. oh yea, we might have a piano too...we're a hodgepodge of randomness that depends on who shows-up lol yay for college!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Learn both, there's no reason to be exclusive to one technique.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
ooh. a djembe.

I love those things.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Pics are fine as long as you use it for the tone, not the ease of use
BOTH of course

Finger style is cool (and sounds cooler for me) but you cant play 16 notes in tempo close to 300, then you switch to nice and familiar PICK which gets you those too
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by ExurKun
Pics are fine as long as you use it for the tone, not the ease of use

Picks are OK to use for ease of use.. Don't be too full of your choice of playing.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Picks are OK to use for ease of use.. Don't be too full of your choice of playing.

they do make chords a little easier for unpracticed flamenco pickers.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you can master both fingerstyle and picking, you will definitely create a lot more possibilities for yourself in terms of sound and music styles.
Hi.
I'm quite a beginner bass player, but I did play Guitar for quite a few years. That's why I use a pick when I play. But I use fingers whenever it sounds better in a song. I play metal and the picked sound seems to fit better except for when I hold out whole notes since they seem to ring out better when I pluck the string or if the guitars are played clean, then I use my fingers. I need to learn how to fingerpick better myself, it's quite fun.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
When I started I played with a pic, but now I mostly play fingerstyle because I feel like it gives me more controll. I do use a pic when I want that metal high end sound.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I personally play with my fingers, but sometimes a pick just sounds better... I really should practise using a pick more
If you are coming from guitar, I always recommend you learn finger style first and get that down solid. Then move to pick.

And yes, learn both.
I find that with picking you get a louder sound initially, but the sustain is generally not very good. For that reason, using a pick can be good for many punk and metal songs where you're mostly bashing out 8th or 16th notes all song.

On the other hand, with fingers it seems like you have more control over your tone, and definitely more sustain. I prefer it for more melodic songs, motown, funk, etc.... I wouldn't say that fingerstyle is better then using a pick, but it is definitely much more versatile. It's good to have a pick hand handy, but I could play everything without one...
Both. There's really no reason not to.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
I use pick when seriously bored only...don't like it, mostly because i have got no idea how to mute strings while using pick -.-''
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by C0_0kie
I use pick when seriously bored only...don't like it, mostly because i have got no idea how to mute strings while using pick -.-''

It's all in the left hand.

I personally use fingers and pick equally. I prefer the playability of using your fingers but the tone of a pick. If there was a way of having the playability of fingers and the tone of a pick in one package, I could die a happy guy.

It's better to learn how to use both, because you would have more techniques to be able to use and therefore become a more versatile player, which is especially useful if you ever decide to do session work (or are in a particular band), as you would be prepared if you're asked to play with a pick.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
you should practice on both, they both have pros and cons, I guess, it ends up in what you're more comfortable. I usually play with my fingers but a friend of mine preffers a lot more to use a pick
Quote by fleajr_1412
It's all in the left hand.

I personally use fingers and pick equally. I prefer the playability of using your fingers but the tone of a pick. If there was a way of having the playability of fingers and the tone of a pick in one package, I could die a happy guy.

Maybe a stupid suggestion (haven't tried it myself), but you could try playing with longer fingernails.
Ibanez GSR200
Laney RB1

(\__/)this is bunny, copy bunny into your sig and help
(O.o )him to dominate the world.
(> < )
Quote by bored_maniac33
Or does it really all depend on what the song needs?

Bingo.
You should be well versed in both methods.
learn both it benefits you much later, like Metallica songs played by finger then switching to a pick for a song like beast and the harlot(just sounds better picked xD) it gives you a wider range of tones and styles to play and experiment with.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by xtala
Maybe a stupid suggestion (haven't tried it myself), but you could try playing with longer fingernails.

I've tried before. To me, it sounds nothing like a pick, and it's quite uncomfortable. But some seem to have mastered it, such as Geddy Lee.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
tbh, when I play metal, even if its death metal, where bassists like the dude from death, alex webster and so on, use fingers, i think its sounds s much better with a pick.. Just so much more depth inthe sound, and no matter how hard you hit, you'll never get that sound without a pick.

Ironically, all the songs that have a death metal clank on the bass is done by the fingers, but if it were done by a pick, then it would be so much more BR00T4LZ

Upon further inspection, (by further inspection I mean not just listening to Peace sells) Dave Ellefson is teh kingzorz of pick bass in metal.

Unless there's someone else.
Last edited by Lollage123 at Sep 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 2