I play everything from Slayer to Dream Theater to Clapton. I really like heavy and progressive metal, but I also have an appreciation for beautiful acoustic/clean riffs. I also write music. Taking all of this into account, especially the extra string for writing purposes, do you think I should get a 6 or 7 string guitar?
7 string is always better, as long as you can handle it. You aren't obligated to use that string, but it's there for whenever you need it.
go for the 7 string
if you don't need it, don't use it
better than you need it but you don't have it. And Petrucci uses a 7 string
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
personally, to me a 7th string is a tinker option, if you are looking for something a little lower get a heavier set of strings and tune down some, if you are serious into songs that use that string alot then go for it, personally its a waste of money to me, but could open a world of new wonders as well.
You honestly might as well get the 7 string then. If you dont wanna use it then dont, and if you still think its gunna get in the way just remove the string itself.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by Strumming Along
personally, to me a 7th string is a tinker option, if you are looking for something a little lower get a heavier set of strings and tune down some, if you are serious into songs that use that string alot then go for it, personally its a waste of money to me, but could open a world of new wonders as well.

I have to agree with this. The only use I see for the 7th string is for playing the B and E string at the same time or in rapid succession, which is pretty unlikely.
get the 7 or an 8 lol
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Woot! That guy has my quote! ^^^^ I'm officially sigged!

I dunno if I'd go for the 7 string.

Unless you plan on doing alot of covers for bands that use them, but most of the bands you listed to drop tuning mostly. I know Petrucci (my favorite guitarist) uses 7 strings occasionally, but he still gets low.

What I would opt for is a guitar without a tremolo, so drop tuning is easier. If you think you can handle the 7 string, go for it, but I rarely use mine unless I've written with it, or am doing a cover a song that has used it.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Alright, thanks everyone. I've been looking at the Ibanez RG7321. It's pretty nice and I've played it before. Any suggestions for something? BTW, I REALLY like the RG necks.
Quote by Leonhart231
Alright, thanks everyone. I've been looking at the Ibanez RG7321. It's pretty nice and I've played it before. Any suggestions for something? BTW, I REALLY like the RG necks.

If you get the RG7321, it would be a good idea to replace the pickups. Dimarzio makes good 7-string pickups (John Petrucci uses them), and EMG 707s are good if you don't mind routing your guitar to make a little more room.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
If you get the RG7321, it would be a good idea to replace the pickups. Dimarzio makes good 7-string pickups (John Petrucci uses them), and EMG 707s are good if you don't mind routing your guitar to make a little more room.

Even though you're not taking my advice...

I really like the S7320's. They have the Wizard 7 necks as well, and I really dig the ZP tremolo. It's what's on my S Prestige.

Pickups? Eh, but around here, the used ones are only 200 bucks. As for replacements, can't go wrong with the petrucci setup - D-Sonic (bar facing bridge) in the bridge, and an Air Norton in the neck.

Not a fan of EMG's, just because they're too processed. If you're running a huge signal chain complete with 20 signal processors, they're great, but I don't, so they're not.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 7, 2009,
8 string xD
Well, 7 string will give you more versatility
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I