is it true, that some of the mesa amps (specifically the single, dual, and triple rec) sound better at higher volumes?

I ask because, and you can bash me all you want, the mesa recs ive played at guitar center the gain sounds so fuzzy and weak at lower volumes.

thanks
depends on their settings, the ones i have played had a choice in gain settings forget what they are at the top of my head, maybe one of the mesa players can fill that in, but i found them to be great sounding for my taste but it is something you need to play with for more then 5 mins to really get a feel for them.
Yes
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
Yes

you're avatar is AWESOME
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
you're avatar is AWESOME

lol thanks
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

My mesa maverick dual rec sounds way better when cranked in the vicinity of 50% on both the master and output levels, which is pretty damn loud.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by blue_strat
All valve amps sound better at higher volumes.

Most amps sound better when the speakers are actually moving; SS, tube, or hybrid.
But yeah, Mesas sound better at higher volume. Don't try to saturate the power tubes though, that's a waste of time. you really can't do that with a 150 watt RMS amp. You'd probably kill most small animals in the vicinity if you did, not to mention blow out your house's windows.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by blue_strat
All valve amps sound better at higher volumes.

not true, some become very high and brittle sounding.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
There are always exceptions, however, as a rule of thumb, if it is tube, it sounds better cranked. The primary reason being that the tubes get a better, more raw, sound when they get really hot. I have a Rivera 120W tube head, it has the best tone I've ever had the honor of experiencing when I can crank it, but even that amp which i swear by sounds like **** when its at 1. If you really like the amp, but don't want to have to crank it to make it sound good your best bet is to by an attenuator. What that does, in laymans terms, is allow you to crank the hell out of the amp and get the tubes really hot, then it absorbs most of the raw volume post-power section so that the voume is more comfortable. I know planty of guys that have to do that at small gigs or they will kill the first row of people.
I've found with the mesa, its so specific with the settings, in that if you only play at low volumes and tune your settings so it sounds great then, and then you turn it up to play a gig or jam or something, and it will probably sound like ass. But when properly eq'd they sound amazing, there is no hype, these amps are incredible, i love mine and it's not even a high end model.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by ipunchcouches
is it true, that some of the mesa amps (specifically the single, dual, and triple rec) sound better at higher volumes?

I ask because, and you can bash me all you want, the mesa recs ive played at guitar center the gain sounds so fuzzy and weak at lower volumes.

thanks

In general, yes. I've had the same experience. There are exceptions though, some don't handle higher volumes well. If you need an amp for low volumes mesa is not the way to go.
Yeah, you gotta get them semi-loud at GC, quiet enough to where it doesn't bother the clerk, but loud enough to get all the tonal velocity, sting and grit. Try scooping your mids: that alone got me to buy a Mesa Rectoverb in the first place and while there, I tried out a Dual Rectifier with similar results, and I'd have gotten it but it was outta my price range so, there comes a certain loudness point that you have to get it to, in my bedroom, I put my master at 10:00 and the output at 8-9:00 and it's loud enough to get it all. But yes, it's generally true with all Mesas