Would it be cheaper to..

A) Buy this guitar

an Ibanez RGR421EXFM

and toss a set of emgs in it..

or

B) Buy an Ibanez RGT6EXFX

that already has a set of emgs along with a thru neck

so long story short.. would it be better to buy a cheaper guitar and stick good pups in it instead of buying an expensive one with all the **** already in it
get the better one
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
I figure if you can search MF for guitars you can search the price of a set of goddamn EMG's on it.
I'd go with the better guitar, but play them both first.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 7, 2009,
Buy a new amp. You're just getting another mid-range guitar with another low-end amp. They're not really upgrades from your Schecter.
Even with 2 really nice EMGs, the first guitar would still be cheaper. But that second one is soooooo much nicer. With a thru neck, it's got easier access for them high frets, and the sustain is going to be much better. Also, its going to save you some work going with the guitar with emgs already in it
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Wrong. A neck thru doesn't have better sustain- just better playability. A bolt-on has more sustain than anything; it has constant pressure holding everything together.
Look at the gods of sustain- Satriani and Vai. They both play instruments with bolt-on necks.

Next issue: it depends upon which low end guitar you have. Because my epi les paul plays better than any gibby that I've ever played. Maybe it doesn't sound as good, but it plays far better. I've played other epi les pauls that were complete ****. (The same concept works with gibsons- I'm sure that a gibson that turned out well would play much better than my epiphone)
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
i own an ibanez rgr421exfm and wow its rather cheap but it beats the crap out of so many guitars ive played seriously have a play the new ones have a 5 way switch for things like pararrelel connected pickups but the old ones have a 3 way and passive emgs

anyway long story short the first one i think is awsome to play and sounds great
Maybe it's Metallica's fault?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
i hate metallica so it's not there fault.... & i will be purchasing a new amp.. prolly a randall g3plus

& for the above "depends which cheap guitar" I was thinking an omen or a cheap ibanez..possibly a cheap esp
I think in the long run getting the more expensive guitar would be the better investment, I'd imagine it'd sound better subtly even with the same pickups, and probably have much more reliable features and better sustain and all.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
switching the emgs will only take up more of your time, and if you somehow mess up you'll really be digging deep in the pocket. My vote goes to the RGT6EXFX
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by MetalGuitarest
i hate metallica so it's not there fault.... & i will be purchasing a new amp.. prolly a randall g3plus

& for the above "depends which cheap guitar" I was thinking an omen or a cheap ibanez..possibly a cheap esp

A randall amp and EMG's? That's pretty Metallica-esque.

I still don't see the obsession.

You have alot of effects processors and rack mounted EQ's? Then, I'd say go for the EMG's, but they can't give you that raw distortion sound from guitar ----> amp.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I'd get the second one. Routing out your guitar and putting EMGs in it isn't worth your time.
if i had the money i would purchase an engl amp.. but i don't and i don't feel like saving.. randall is a good amp company. Christian wolbers and a few others i like use randall(not metallica.. they use it but i hate em)

and i will either have a line 6 pod X3 live or a pedal board
I always say this:
If you tweak the effects on your spider, you can get some pretty decent tones out of it. If you use a pedal, even more. You won't sound like every other noob guitarist out there.

And I watched your Schecter Damien review, I have a feeling you haven't touched the knobs on your spider.
Quote by pixysticks
I'd get the second one. Routing out your guitar and putting EMGs in it isn't worth your time.

Lol maybe you should spend more time playing with Ibanez RG before talking about routing wood.

TS play both models see whichever one you prefer the feel more of, buy the one you like if you happen to get the RGR then change pickups but end of day it's your call on what you do.

Quote by JAustinMunn
A randall amp and EMG's? That's pretty Metallica-esque.

I still don't see the obsession.

You really aren't ****ing serious are you? Anyone that uses a randall amp and EMG must be trying to sound somewhat like Metallica despite them using a ****load of amps over the years.

And EMG pickups are good they may not be to everyone's taste however.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Sep 8, 2009,
I would go with the better of the two not for the EMGs but it has a neck thru construction. I like the specs better on the second one. They are really vague on the specs and discription of the first guitar.

John
Quote by JELIFISH19
Buy a new amp. You're just getting another mid-range guitar with another low-end amp. They're not really upgrades from your Schecter.

Thissss.... That spider will give you no tone for your EMG's....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Lol maybe you should spend more time playing with Ibanez RG before talking about routing wood.

TS play both models see whichever one you prefer the feel more of, buy the one you like if you happen to get the RGR then change pickups but end of day it's your call on what you do.

You really aren't ****ing serious are you? Anyone that uses a randall amp and EMG must be trying to sound somewhat like Metallica despite them using a ****load of amps over the years.

And EMG pickups are good they may not be to everyone's taste however.

I'm not saying Randall + EMG = Metallica. I'm just saying that today, that seems like the norm. EMG's + Randall = metal. Know what I mean? Who ever said that EMG's were the norm for metal? Because Zakk Wylde and Kerry King use them? And METALLICA. Randall got a huge boost in popularity because of Metallica and because of Dimebag, so don't pretend like this isn't relevant.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by JAustinMunn
I'm not saying Randall + EMG = Metallica. I'm just saying that today, that seems like the norm. EMG's + Randall = metal. Know what I mean? Who ever said that EMG's were the norm for metal? Because Zakk Wylde and Kerry King use them? And METALLICA. Randall got a huge boost in popularity because of Metallica and because of Dimebag, so don't pretend like this isn't relevant.

Not really like I haven't seen a **** load of new metal bands use EMG + Randall amps at all. But anyway who cares man it's their tone/sound they choose whatever works for them I wouldn't be one to bandwagon what other people are doing (okay I lie give me a ****ing 5150 any day)
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Not really like I haven't seen a **** load of new metal bands use EMG + Randall amps at all. But anyway who cares man it's their tone/sound they choose whatever works for them I wouldn't be one to bandwagon what other people are doing (okay I lie give me a ****ing 5150 any day)

I see where you're coming from.

It just seems like the group of people -I- observe are doing that. My ex-friend went out and put a Zakk Wylde Signature on layaway, literally the day after I told him that he took over for Randy Rhoades for a while. It just seems like I see the bandwagon thing too much, or maybe the music scene here is comprised of posers.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
randall is selling more tube amps than SS that dime used. TS I would go for the RGT. they are somewhat harder to find but they are great guitars. I hold the opinion that a well built neckthrough will usually have better sustain. having played that RGT however, it has poor sustain compared to other neckthroughs with fatter necks. whoever was using the steve vai petrucci analogy has it all wrong. they play through high gain amps. there is NO WAY to tell how much sustain a guitar has if the guy is plugged into anything high gain or otherwise a compressor. have you been to vai's house and tried his guitar unplugged. NO. so get the RGT. emg's and high gain amp will give you all the sustain you could want.

P.S. every guitar sounds exactly the same through a spider III. tele strat EBMM GIB LP they all sound the same WTF!? so a NGD is not going to change that
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Sep 9, 2009,