I guess title says it all.

I have never built an electric guitar before (although I'm not a complete woodwork noob) and I'm planning my first build.
My question today is: Is building a neck from scratch worth the effort or should I just try and acquire a ready-made (Squier?) neck and maybe just modify the headstock to my liking?
Also, I already know I have to chose the right neck according to which scale I plan to make the guitar. (I'm going for 25.5 inches)

What are your experiences building necks and what would you suggest based on these experiences (also considering this is my 1st build)?

I'd greatly appreciate any input on this matter.

Cheers,
WmH
Depends. If you can make a neck (well), then definitely do so. You can build the neck based on your preferences, and it'll be a lot more comfortable than a bought neck.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Why not get some cheap wood and build a practice neck first, then you'll have some experience and you can make your own neck however you want it to be.
Impossible is Nothing
Definitely.
By making your neck, you get the whole experience; you learn everything you would need to do to make a guitar from scratch and you do it. After that, you're just cleaning everything up. You learn little things rather than HUGE things.

Do it.

Have a sizzlin day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Go for a better neck. Maybe not on your first build, but for later stuff go WAY better quality than Squier
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Alright, since you guys suggest I should go for my own neck, here is my main concern.
The truss rod: how? And is it really necessary?
Truss rod is necessary.

Get some poplar, and make a practice neck. If your scared to slot a board, get it pre slotted, and pre radiused if you dont have the tools.

Hand made necks are custom fit to you, since you build it. Cant get better then that.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Truss rod is absolutely necessary unless you have a really really thick and strong neck, and even then it would still be good to have to make adjustments.

Check this out, it'll definitely help you
Impossible is Nothing
Any good guides on preparing a neck for a truss rod and then installing it?

Edit: Thanks solomon684, I'll definately check that out.
Last edited by wmh at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by wmh
Any good guides on preparing a neck for a truss rod and then installing it?

Edit: Thanks solomon684, I'll definately check that out.

Rout the channel (after scarf joint if you're doing an angled headstock), some rods need to be lubricated, I think you rub candle wax on it? Sealed rods just go straight in the channel, put some masking tape over the rod and then glue the fretboard on.

Building a neck from scratch is not that hard really. I'm doing it on my first build (actually shaped it today) and its fairly easy as long as you dont rush in. Just be patient so you dont screw up. One thing I learnt: If you're doing a neck through, its much easier to do the heel before you glue the body wings on than trying to get a spokeshave up in between the horns I learnt that one the hard way. Nothing a belt sander couldnt fix though.
Quote by littlephil
Rout the channel (after scarf joint if you're doing an angled headstock), some rods need to be lubricated, I think you rub candle wax on it? Sealed rods just go straight in the channel, put some masking tape over the rod and then glue the fretboard on.

Building a neck from scratch is not that hard really. I'm doing it on my first build (actually shaped it today) and its fairly easy as long as you dont rush in. Just be patient so you dont screw up. One thing I learnt: If you're doing a neck through, its much easier to do the heel before you glue the body wings on than trying to get a spokeshave up in between the horns I learnt that one the hard way. Nothing a belt sander couldnt fix though.

i loled. but yeah what he said

Quote by littlephil

Lols, didn't notice that... ^^'

Got my wood by the way, might start a new thread when I finally get started.
The only vaguely hard things about building a neck are getting the nut done and seated correctly, which just takes a bit of time on your first one, and after that it isn't going to be to hard on any other neck you build, and getting the frets done right. The frets being the harder of the two. And even that isn't unbelievably hard as long as your just expecting very good instead of perfection on your first guitar.

And yeah, route the channel for the truss rod tight to the truss rod, put silicon in around the truss rod to keep it from rattling just in case you didn't get it tight if your worried about your route, and realize that in all likely hood if you have a 3 piece or over neck you're never going to end up touching it anyway. And don't forget the masking tape thing, glueing in your truss rod kind of sucks a lot.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"