Tomorrow I will leave my guitar at a luthier for him to set it up. However, I'm undecided on what string gauge should I settled for. I only own one guitar and I usually go back and forth between E standard and dropped C, and everything in between. Sometimes I even go down to dropped B. Will a .011-.048 set be okay? Or do I need heavier bass strings? Will I be able to get low action as well? I own a Schecter C-1 Plus (24 3/4" scale, string-thru).
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Well, for my drop guitars, I use Ernie Ball Slinky Tops, Heavy Bottoms. It's got .10-.52, and they work really well.

As for low action? Maybe. Thicker guages mean tighter strings which means less vibration... Well, as far as "travelling," if you get my meaning. But then again, they are bigger, so I'm not too sure on that one.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
There's no strings that will allow you to move between standard and drob B effectively, you'll either have too low tension in the lowest tuning or too high in standard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
10-46 usually work quite well for most stuff, but if its more likely that you're gonna be in lower tunings, i'd go for 10-52. depends what you're gonna be using more.
I use .011's and they're good for high tension in E standard and will work fine in C standard but anything lower than that is pushing it, even if you just drop the low C to a Bb/A#.

Even then, changing tunings like that throws off intonation if i'm not mistaken so i don't recommend it.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
10-46 usually work quite well for most stuff, but if its more likely that you're gonna be in lower tunings, i'd go for 10-52. depends what you're gonna be using more.

Yeah I found that 10-46 set up well is perfect for pretty much everything. Fine for soloing in standard or Drop C rif***e.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by steven seagull
There's no strings that will allow you to move between standard and drob B effectively, you'll either have too low tension in the lowest tuning or too high in standard.

I don't mind if the strings are too loose in lower tunings, as long as they keep in tune or don't cause fret buzz. I thought .011's would be okay since they are not too tight in E standard, and I've plenty of people around the forum using them in E standard.

EDIT: I will point out I don't tune to D standard/dropped C as much as E standard, dropped C or Eb standard.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Sep 7, 2009,
Just going a half step down with a good string tension already loses too much tension for me. I use 10-46 for standard, 11-54 for D standard, 13-56 for C standard, and 10-59 for my 7-string. It has to be between 18-20 pounds per string in 25.5" scale.

In other words, I don't think you'll get from E standard to even D standard and still sound decent with any gauge.
I had the same issue, but the luthier told me I need to stick with one tuning. Otherwise the whole setup gets thrown off and essentially wasted the money to set it up.