A while back my Dad got me a starter kit, which we both knew would be very lower end. It's a Epiphone Special II.

My girlfriend's Dad has been playing guitar for 20+ years, and he's been teaching her. So I joined in and I started practicing and learning chords, i.e. enjoying playing.

They have quite a few guitars, and I would switch off between their two acoustic guitars; a Taylor Baby(My girlfriend has small fingers, but I don't) and a guitar that has a paint job that reminds me of the album cover for Maroon 5: Songs about Jane(It's a higher end guitar). They sound great. I really enjoy playing, I started being able to transition from the chord to chord; I was feeling it.

But then I come home, wanting to keep on practicing and develop calices. I tune my guitar, do my exercises and then start practing the chords; it sounds, bad. Bad partly because it's more difficult on my guiter for some reason, i.e. user error. But mostly because of the quality. I plug in the amp and it sounds a little better. It just kills my excitement and inspiration.

So the question is, should I get a better amp(Micro Cube perhaps?) for now and later on invest in a better guitar? Or go acoustic? What can I do now for the least amount of money? I'm attempting to save up for my own car(haha who isn't my age? ).

Based on my style preference for the better guitar in the future if I go that route, any suggestions?
The Killers, Maroon 5, Green Day, Muse, U2; mostly KROQ stuff.

P.S. I would have given links, but guitar center's site isn't working on my computer right now.
Well it sounds like you like acoustic better, but if you're playing the music you say you are, you're better off getting a new amp. Microcube would be a decent choice.
The Epi is not the worst guitar around. Maybe get your g/f's dad to set it up nicely and go for an amp first. Those bundled amps are pretty poor, usually.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have a microcube and have no complaints. It gives you a variety of sounds to keep you entertained, and some decent built-in effects. It's portable so you could take it over to your girlfriend's house without too much trouble, and it gets pretty good tone at lower volumes so you can practice late into the night without your parents going ape**** on you.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Well it sounds like you like acoustic better, but if you're playing the music you say you are, you're better off getting a new amp. Microcube would be a decent choice.

Oops, misunderstanding. I don't play that music, that's what I listen to and want to be able to play in the future. I can barely play a few chords at the moment lol. Sorry.

Quote by Lurcher
The Epi is not the worst guitar around. Maybe get your g/f's dad to set it up nicely and go for an amp first. Those bundled amps are pretty poor, usually.

How can he set it up to be better?

Quote by Kyle_Brewer
I have a microcube and have no complaints. It gives you a variety of sounds to keep you entertained, and some decent built-in effects. It's portable so you could take it over to your girlfriend's house without too much trouble, and it gets pretty good tone at lower volumes so you can practice late into the night without your parents going ape**** on you.

Sounds great!

So Micro Cube it is?
Last edited by UserFriendly169 at Sep 7, 2009,
Well, getting an acoustic can't do any harm.

I think a nice tube amp [relatively low wattage so it's not loud] which has very nice cleans would be worth checking out.
If you can find a modelling amp which also has really nice cleans, then that's even better as it would be much more cheaper.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't know.

Acoustic is great. I love it, but I could never do without electric. If I could bring three things on an island, it'd be a generator, an amp, and my guitar. Know what I mean?

But on the other hand, you do seem to prefer acoustic. I think you should go to a shop and try some stuff out. You may find an electric that is perfect for you, or find out you want to keep going acoustic.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
I think you should wait a while and see which one you prefer. If I was in your situation I'd propably buy a decent acoustic guitar and then save up for a Microcube.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Try to get your GF's dad to set up your epi, and see if it feels better. If after a good setup you still dont feel satisfied, maybe you should get an acoustic for now. You probably developed a feel for acoustic or something.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Get her dad to set it up. By that, he lowers the height of the strings, checks the intonation and corrects it if its wrong, and things like that. Its worth. It wont feel like the same guitar. And acoustic isnt a bad idea at all. But with a tight budget, id go for an amp. Some lower end amps can sound good. I dont like alot of lower end acoustics though.
Quote by nickdohle
Get her dad to set it up. By that, he lowers the height of the strings, checks the intonation and corrects it if its wrong, and things like that. Its worth. It wont feel like the same guitar. And acoustic isnt a bad idea at all. But with a tight budget, id go for an amp. Some lower end amps can sound good. I dont like alot of lower end acoustics though.

This man speaks the truth my friend, low end electric guitars, and amps can sound decent- good but you won't be able to replicate that Taylor high end acoustic sound with a lower end laminated acoustic guitar, so if you've got 400-700 dollars to spend on a nice Epiphone or Taylor Big Baby then buy one but if not I would suggest saving your money, get your GF's dad to set up your LP Special II, perhaps borrow a better amp from him and after a few months of penny saving get that Taylor. However if you do decide to stick with electric, here's a good amp for the your music taste, http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065
great cleans, good Vox tones (mild overdrive), good Marshall tones (British roar, rock/punk distortion), okay metal tone.
Good luck!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
I'd go acoustic with a cheaper guitar like mine. It's a great guitar, by yamaha, it's an eterna EF-31. then i'd buy the micro cube.

Hope it Helps.