Page 1 of 2
Just had idea.

Some say tone comes from your fingers. So how about we try something.

Let's take two users with similar gear and playing experience get them to record with similar equipment if possible , playing the same riff or solo on the settings and see if they sound the same.

Might be a bit far fetched but I'm there's a few people that have similar gear.

I thought of this while jamming with my vox metal amplug but I was playing more of a bluesy riff and was thinking this sounds great. Is this comming from my fingers?

The easiest thing would probably use the vox amplug to record directly to the pc's sounbdcard with two different people. Is this a good idea or too far fetched? Anyone wanna give it a try?

Edit: I DON'T actually believe tone comes from yuor fingers but some people really strongly do believe so. I didn't make this thread to say tone comes from your fingers, it don't, its just the little things you do give you your own stlye of playing. If slash played your guitar rig, he won't have his tone but you'll know its him.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Sep 7, 2009,
Too many variables (different soundcard, microphone, etc.)
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Have you ever tried using your VOX amplug into a PC??
I wanna know how that works, and if it acts as an interface.

In answering your question, the majority of your tone comes from your fingers. Then another big part from your amp, then the rest from pedals (they color your tone), pups, and your guitar (woods and such). So if 2 people had similar gear, and similar playing ability and style, they should sound the same. In Theory.
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Its just a saying, but it really means technique is in your fingers, and technique is one of the biggest factors in how you sound.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
would also depend on the settings of the gear.

Yeah forgot to mention that.

I haven't actually recorded with it yet as I need a cord.

Most people who record on this forums use a good mic and interface, it shouldn't be too hard to find two people with the same setup.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Sep 7, 2009,
The way in which your equipment affects the overall sound is different to the way in which your technique affects it.

No matter how you play, you won't get a distorted metal sound out of a Telecaster and a Fender Champ. That's a factor of the equipment. You'll still sound like yourself, because of what you play and how, but the "tone" will be different.
Meh, I'd be for the experiment, but I have a MIM strat, a valveking, and no good recording equipment

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

IMO, a good player is going to sound good regardless of the gear. Likewise, no matter how good your gear is, if you can't play then you ain't gonna sound good.

The way I see it, when it comes to music there's only 12 notes. When it comes to playing an instrument, the guitar which unlike an traditional piano allows you to bend and slide between notes, apply vibrato etc., it's not the notes themselves that define a great piece of music, but how those notes are played.

Two players that come to mind are Stevie Ray Vaughan and Slash. Really though, the following statement can apply to just about any great blues or rock guitarist. For the most part, Slash and SRV write most of their music around the pentatonic scales. Clearly, if they weren't great musicians with a true feel for the music, their playing would quickly sound repetitive and boring. Hell, just about every riff on Appetite for Destruction revolves around the E and A blues scales but this album (at least in my opinion), is one of the greatest rock 'n roll albums of all time. This only goes to reinforce my previous statement that it's not what notes you play, but how you play them.

So in a nutshell, if you ask me, it's ALL about technique.

Peace.
Last edited by Rick540 at Sep 7, 2009,
heres a test with 4 different good amps, with the same DI track of guitar, and same cab

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mi9n6x
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

So take the worst amplifier available, the muddiest, the harshest, the lamest, the most compressed and the worst tone and let someone like Stevie Ray play it; however awesome SRV might be, he's still going to sound muddy and sucky because of the amplification.

On the other hand, take a guy with a Diezel Herbert + Ibanez PGM301 and he just started playing 20 minutes ago; chances are he will suck for his sloppyness, but he's still going to sound better then SRV in the senario above.

IMO tone doesn't come from fingers as much as it does from gear, sure you can mimick someone's pick attack and sort of sound like him, i almost have SRV's pick attack and i sound pretty "underwater" like SRV on acustic, but when i plug it into my amp i sound like someone else.
Tone doesn't come from the fingers, people confuse tone with other things....

Think of it this way, If you give a guitar to a toddler, make him play a single note: the first fret on the B string, then hand the guitar to someone who has been playing guitar for 20+ years and get him to play the same, it will sound exactly the same.

When playing riffs and stuff its more people's style that makes them sound unique, their "tone" isn't in their fingers, their style is.
Not This Again

Please

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I spent the entirety of last weekend with another guitarist in the studio experimenting with guitars, amps and playing to get the best tone we could. We found that the gear and settings set a basis for how well you can express your music.

We had identical settings and identical gear then took turns recording riffs to see who would do the final takes. We both nailed the riffs but each had a different flavor. I ended up doing the more melodic parts because my playing tended to be a bit softer and smoother and he took care of the heavy chugging and strumming because his pick attack was more aggresive.

Tone comes from the gear, music comes from the fingers.
quote from a magazine:
eddie van halen can play through a marshall mini amp floating in custard and still sounds like eddie van halen.
you can pick up his frankenstrat and plug into all his pedals and amps andsound nothing like him at all.
Well, tone does also come from the fingers.

Pick attack, the strength with which you apply pressure to the strings, etc are essential to your tone. My cousin who's a blues guitars who plays only with his fingers, sat in with a bluesband whos guitar player uses a pick. My cousin had a much better tone and sound, using the exact same gear.

However, naturally your guitar and amp and pedals are essential to tone.

Therefore, this debate is retarded. Because both fingers and gear mean a lot when it comes to tone.
"Tone" isn't just the sound that your amp and guitar makes, and if you think like that then you're an idiot.
Quote by littlephil
Its just a saying, but it really means technique is in your fingers, and technique is one of the biggest factors in how you sound.

+1
Technique plays a big role in how well you sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Well i have pro tools and an sm58 so i could record something properly.

I got a marshall TSL 60 through a 2x12 1960 cab but i know it would be a pointless test. You'd need to do it clean first to really keep the persons 'tone' there and it would be so obvious that the people are differernt. Different picks, differing picking style etc..

Your TECHNIQUE affects the tone quite a bit but ultimately the guitar and amp have the final say, its your technique that makes you 'you'

edit: It dosnt help when you have people like Jeff Beck writing in magazines 'jimi hendrix used only 2 pedals , a wah and a chorus and the rest was all his fingers'... :| ever heard of the fuzz face? He used 5 of them at once one time!!!
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius
+1
Technique plays a big role in how you sound.

Yep...
Technique=/=tone though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
seriously? someones tone starts with an idea, which is in your head. it ends with a persons perception of what they heard, which happens in their head. its all in your head.
/inb4crabstance
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
/inb4crabstance

TS.

It's a saying.

Tone itself isn't litteraly in the hands.
It's just saying that HOW you play is more important that what you play it into.
Quote by gregs1020
seriously? someones tone starts with an idea, which is in your head. it ends with a persons perception of what they heard, which happens in their head. its all in your head.
/inb4crabstance

Great player thru crappy gear still sounds great.
Crappy player thru great gear still sounds crappy.

Interpret that as you will. But when people say tone is in the fingers, they are talking about more than how a note sounds when plucked. They are talking about the dynamics of the sound, which requires technique. It all starts in the fingers.
Quote by imgooley

I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.
If you honestly want to try out how much the technique affects the outcome, you just need 2 people with the exact same guitars (shouldn't be too hard) and similar quality interfaces. Just record the DI signal. Of course that itself should have some differences, but you could then run both signals through the same VST/impulse combo (which is tweaked to sound good, of course) with the same settings.

The problems are of course the fact that the interfaces might be somewhat different, but also that you can't hear the "amplified" sound of what you're playing, which might affect how you play.

Edit: I can do the reamping, or you could find someone who'd be interested over at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250 Also, I suggest you use Reaper because a.) It's very easily available, b.) Would guarantee the DAW won't have anything to do with the differences and c.) it kicks ass
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Sep 7, 2009,
i have to agree with the heavier hitters on here, the phrase is not to be taken quite so quite so literally, good players still sound good through crappy gear, and yes... use a search bar for these tried and tired discussion. everyone here who has gone the long way down the path to good tone knows what this debate is about, and those who are still asking just need to play more. and, btw, learning cleaner technique is the least expensive way to improve tone(as long as you don't directly correlate the time you spend practicing with money).

and if you are really dying to try out the 'guitar tone pepsi challenge' then just have someone else play your setup on the same settings. better, worse, or different they will not sound the same as you.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ Eh, I just proposed a fix for that. Just need 2 people with some interface and the same guitar (stock).

As long as the interfaces are similar quality I think there wouldn't be that much difference in the sound quality (except for the finger part, of course).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by stykerwolf

On the other hand, take a guy with a Diezel Herbert + Ibanez PGM301 and he just started playing 20 minutes ago; chances are he will suck for his sloppyness, but he's still going to sound better then SRV in the senario above.

You're on crack, most ridiculous thing Ive ever read here.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
My bro and i play guitar, we don't have the best equitment in the world but when he plays me exact equitment, with the same exact settings, i sound much better than he does, so it has something to do with the fingers, that's where it starts, the rest is done with ur amp, pedals, guitar, etc.
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Well, I do know this, I can be playing metal, and without touching anything, change it to blues or classic rock, may not sound right, but the way I'm playing changes how the song sounds. But as to tone, which is how your clean sounds or your distortion sounds, thats all the guitar and amp.
Quote by occub
You're on crack, most ridiculous thing Ive ever read here.

As much as i see Stevie Ray as a guitar god, let him play one note, just ONE note through the muddiest rig available, he won't sound good.

Take a newbie and give him the thickest, creamiest, richest sounding rig with 32bands of EQing and 200 rack effects and a studio and all the **** and tell him to play that one note

You decide who's going to sound better.

On the other hand, if you play a song, then duh SRV would sound better then the newbie since it's more fluid, and not just one note. Sorry if i didn't mention the "one" note situation, but that was what i ment there.
Quote by fly135
Great player thru crappy gear still sounds crappy.
Crappy player thru great gear still sounds crappy.

I fixed it for you
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by stykerwolf
As much as i see Stevie Ray as a guitar god, let him play one note, just ONE note through the muddiest rig available, he won't sound good.

Take a newbie and give him the thickest, creamiest, richest sounding rig with 32bands of EQing and 200 rack effects and a studio and all the **** and tell him to play that one note

You decide who's going to sound better.

On the other hand, if you play a song, then duh SRV would sound better then the newbie since it's more fluid, and not just one note. Sorry if i didn't mention the "one" note situation, but that was what i ment there.

but here in reality, a guitar player never plays just 'one note'.

that's like saying all singers sound alike because if they all sing the same note, at the same pitch, then they'll sound the same.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
but here in reality, a guitar player never plays just 'one note'.

What i'm trying to say here is, music comes from your hands, tone comes from your gear. No matter how your hand is, a crappy 15 buck guitar through a 15 buck amp isn't going to make the Whole Lotta Love riffs as powerfull as a Plexi + LP combo.

Hands = Music
Gear = Tone
Quote by stykerwolf
What i'm trying to say here is, music comes from your hands, tone comes from your gear. No matter how your hand is, a crappy 15 buck guitar through a 15 buck amp isn't going to make the Whole Lotta Love riffs as powerfull as a Plexi + LP combo.

Hands = Music
Gear = Tone

ok, if tone comes from the equipment, how do acoustic players sound different on identical guitars?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Page 1 of 2