OK, I bumped this because I really need help.

My guitar picks up radio, and makes a really loud buzz/hum, rendering it unplayable.

I have two Humbuckers. I've had the guitar for a month, and it has been working fine until now.

I know it's something wrong with the guitar, because I have two guitars and one works fine, the other does not.

I have 2 guitars, 2 cables, one amp, and a pedalboard.

I have tried:
Guitar 1 -> Cable 1 -> Amp (not working)
Guitar 1 -> Cable 2 -> Amp (not working)
Guitar 1 -> Cable 1 -> Pedalboard -> Cable 2 -> Amp (not working)
Guitar 2 -> Cable 1 -> Amp (working)
Guitar 2 -> Cable 2 -> Amp (working)
Guitar 2 -> Cable 1 -> Pedalboard -> Cable 2 -> Amp (working)
Moving to a different part of the house (someone said I should try that) (not working)
Hand -> Cable 1/2 -> Amp (someone said they could do this and get radio, no radio)

The buzz is MUCH louder when I touch the strings (barely hear it unless touching the strings)

The radio signal is MUCH stronger with distortion (which I primarily use)

If someone could tell me what is going wrong (or better yet, how to fix it) I would be very grateful

Thx
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Sep 10, 2009,
I'm not sure, but you might wanna move this thread to Guitar Gear and Accessories?
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
i had a cable that one day, just picked up japanese radio all of a sudden. I know it was the cable because i swapped cables and it worked fine.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
The amps at my old guitar lessons used to pick up police and ambulance radio, it's fairly normal for this to happen.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
Quote by Jacoiskoby
i had a cable that one day, just picked up japanese radio all of a sudden. I know it was the cable because i swapped cables and it worked fine.

Ahh, I think I got that same station when I was checking out my tube radios once. I just tuned it to some random station that had signal, and it was all ****ing Japanese.

And yeah, cable, start there, could be something inside the amp, but the cable/inside bits of the guitar are most likely.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Ahh, I think I got that same station when I was checking out my tube radios once. I just tuned it to some random station that had signal, and it was all ****ing Japanese.

And yeah, cable, start there, could be something inside the amp, but the cable/inside bits of the guitar are most likely.

AHH! The Japanese are trying to brainwash innocent victorian guitarists through their cables!!!
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Last edited by Jacoiskoby at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Jacoiskoby
AHH! The Japanese are trying to brainwash innocent victorian guitarists through their cables!!!

AHHH, RUN TO NSW MATE *grabs tinfoil*

Sorry, had to add mate.
AND ****
Opened guitar pro again
Bloody Japs.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
agreed it`s the cable,more than likely, if the shielding is damaged it`ll act like a attenna, it could also be ground hum where old wiring or anything like pc monitors lcd tv`s flourescent lights produce the hum if this is the case you need to buy a groundlift or turn off these appliances, the other cause of hum is a bad ground on the guitar itself.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 7, 2009,
I've got two cables, both are fine. But I've got two guitars, and only one of them is faulty, so it's the guitar. The one I got a month ago.

So what could be wrong with the guitar?
Quote by XianXiuHong
Do you have lots of excess string on the guitar that picks up the radio?

Are your pickups really close to the strings or high output?
Neither. Still as stock, has been working fine until yesterday.
uh is ur amp solid state? you cant sit them near radios or stuff
Last edited by shredder408 at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by shredder408
uh is ur amp solid state? you cant sit them near radios or stuff
Why did it suddenly stop working if I can't have it near a radio?

Also please read the post - the guitar is broken, not the amp
1st off don't get so defensive dude. You say read the post it's guitar not amp yet the name of the thread is HELP!! Amp problems....To me it sounds like a faulty ground wire in the guitar itself.
One of the grounds in your guitar is faulty most likely. Look at the simplified DWG below, grounds are in red. You need to check they are all there.
Attachments:
Visio-GND.pdf
Moving on.....
TS: If you don't know what to do then take it to a guitar tech and have them look at it, simple as that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.