How exactly does a guitar's body's wood, neck, or fingerboard affect the sound of an electric guitar? I'm not questioning whether it does or not, because obviously different guitars sound completely different, but how is this? considering the sound is all picked up from the vibration of the strings by a magnetic pickup. Ive been playing a while and ive been wondering about like a scientific explanation of how this happens.
Different woods vibrate differently and accentuate different frequencies. You can hear it if you play acoustically.
Quote by David Collins
There's the "only wood" thread Here, which I've never read, but is sure to have some interesting thoughts.

If you don't find what you're after there, I've made a few more lengthy posts before Here, and Here.

Put as concisely as I can, vibrations in the string are met with some impedance at each end, reflecting much back in to the string, but also imparting waves to the body and neck in several ways. Those waves travel on in all sorts of directions, and essentially everything on the guitar gets set in to vibration. Some of those vibrations are absorbed, dampened, turned in to heat essentially. Of course since the anchor points are in motion (which is heavily influenced by their mass, construction, and of course the wood they are anchored to), those vibrations are reintroduced back in the the string, and have a significant influence on the shape and frequencies of waves in the string. And since the pickups are set in to vibration from the body (and pickguard or rings, etc.), though their movement is miniscule relative to how far the strings move, it is not insignificant. Remember the pickups sense movement of the strings relative to themselves, so if they are both vibrating it will certainly effect the tone.

Basically, the whole thing is a vibrating system, not just strings moving over a static chassis. Everything is interconnected, and how one part moves will inevitably influence the others, and these effects cycle around and around, through and through, strings effecting body, body effecting strings, strings effecting neck, neck effecting body, body effecting pickups, pickups effecting strings, reflection, transmission, absorption, etc., etc....

It needs to be viewed as a complete system, it all works together, and it all matters to some degree.

thanks, thats like exactly what i wanted to hear. so would a pickup mounted directly to the body sound differently that if it was mounted in a pickguard? (provided they are at the same heights)
Quote by guns_rosesldb
thanks, thats like exactly what i wanted to hear. so would a pickup mounted directly to the body sound differently that if it was mounted in a pickguard? (provided they are at the same heights)

Eddie Van Halen thinks so, and he's a tone-whore so I'd imagine it's not extremely noticeable but i guess if you're that anal about it, it can be.