Hello this is my first post!

I've got an Ibanez Apex 2 7-string and I want to swap out the bridge PAF-7 for something more heavier/ metally. I always liked the distortion sounds Limp Bizkit had on the Chocolate Starfish album and wouldn't mind something similar to that.

Anyone got any ideas?
Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (The 7-string one of course).

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

What's your budget?

I'm similarly thinking of swapping out the pickups in my Apex. They lack punch and energy, though they have enough clarity and balance.
Don't go with the Invader, seriously horrible pickup.

The dimarzios are a good choice although the Paf 7 is not as high output as you'd expect, i think Korn uses them though.

Check out the Dimarzio Dactivator 7's too if you want to go the higher output way
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
If you want the Limp Bizkit sound you basically need any guitar into a Mesa Dual Recto. Pickups might help at some level but will only get you a small step towards the sound.

I will agree with replacing the Paf7 in the bridge. I had the same issue with my RG a pair of paf pros. I replaced my bridge with a TZ and am liking the results so far.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by Teh GIR
Don't go with the Invader, seriously horrible pickup.
That depends on the wood of the guitar.

If the Invader is in alder, it will sound great. If it's in mahogany, it will sound muddy.
What do you have for an amp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SAD MAFIOSO σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Originally Posted by jgbsmith
Guys, guys - put your penises away, we have a lady in the house!
Quote by TheWall27
What do you have for an amp?

this!

an amp will affect most of your tone
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Thanks for all the replies - I do like the PAF-7s but my old BC Rich Bich used to have this nasty grind that I can't recreate. I am basically a bedroom recordist, no amps just Line 6 amp sims.

You can get a really cool heavy sound as long as you layer up multiple tracks (I have two distorted tracks and two clean and they come together pretty nice - I'll stick a link to the types of sounds I'm getting over the next couple of days).
flame away if you must but an invader in basswood will skin puppies at 30 paces. It doesn't have the voice to solo like some others but on chords it is clear and crun-chee. none of all this mud UGer's speak of imo. haven't tried it in other woods though.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
That depends on the wood of the guitar.

If the Invader is in alder, it will sound great. If it's in mahogany, it will sound muddy.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Quote by forsaknazrael
No. Let me demonstrate general usage of the Invader:

you win, epicly.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.

DiMarzio D-Sonic 7.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I was thinking Korn must get their heavy sound more through amps + effects and so the low output nature of the PAF-7s don't matter? They've been using these pick ups for years haven't they, I noticed they are in the old K7s as well

Should I concentrate more on the FX side of things instead of ripping out the pickups
No, you need an amp. A high end tube amp like a dual recto.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
No, you need an amp. A high end tube amp like a dual recto.
Not necessarily something as high-spec as that. And I don't even know what amp he has...
With Line 6 amp models I don't think a new pickup will make the difference you want. I can't remember all the names right now but do you have the Line 6 metal pack? Have you searched their site for user programmed models?
Bob you've hit the nail on the head - I have Line 6's Gearbox gold and there's a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Sim on it :

This should be worth a shot