Hey

Just wondered who's starting at the ACM (guildford) in a few days time?

If i'm completely honest i'm not sure if i've made a mistake joining, i'm doing the higher diploma course in guitar.

Just wanted to know of peoples experiences etc, and possibily ask them a few questions, one of which is how proficent does my ability need to be in reading music?

And to get everyone else involved, talk about your experiences doing courses in music etc, i'd like to read about them!
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
I'm on the 2nd year degree right now and I did the higher diploma.

Don't worry about not being able to read music, when I was on the higher diploma nobody knew. They'll start with the basics, and I mean really basic. Most of the tutors there are really nice.

I thought the higher diploma was good, you'll get to do a lot of playing infront of class and in the band they put you in.
Thanks alot to both of you

Jackass you have helped re-assure me! Two more questions if you wouldnt mind, What does the coursework and exams entail? (this is one thing thats annoyed me, i've recieved no info regarding the course!

And secondly, has acm helped you career wise? (unless you've opted for something outside of music)

Edit: one last thing, will i get any oppertunity to do vocals at all during the course? I know it's a guitar course but i'm a keen singer.
Last edited by M_G at Sep 7, 2009,
You will have to do two lots of exams I think. As far as I can remember there are four parts to each lot of exam, one for each lesson.

The sight reading exam will include one prepared piece, I remember having to do Affirmation by George Benson which was a bitch and one unprepared piece which will be pretty simple, you have to do chords and lead for both I think.

In the technical development exam you will have to play various scales (major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished and whole tone), seventh arpeggios and some chords (7th, 9th etc.)

Session styles, you will have to play 4 songs from a selection of ten, all of these are prepared.

LPW, you will have to play three songs with your band from the songs you will learn in lesson.

I think that's all the exam stuff, I know it looks like a lot but it isn't as bad as it seems you will cover all of it in lesson. I didn't know most of it before I went to the ACM so you should be alright. I can't remember what I did for the coursework but I don't remember it being very hard.

You will learn a lot about the industry, and you will find out about a lot of career opportunities that you probably havn't thought about. Right now I'm going to start writing music for film and TV, which I wouldn't have done if I didn't go to the ACM.

There are workshops where you can learn vocals and you can probably book tutorials with the vocal teachers.

That took a long time to write, I hope it helps.
Quote by jackasss
You will have to do two lots of exams I think. As far as I can remember there are four parts to each lot of exam, one for each lesson.

The sight reading exam will include one prepared piece, I remember having to do Affirmation by George Benson which was a bitch and one unprepared piece which will be pretty simple, you have to do chords and lead for both I think.

In the technical development exam you will have to play various scales (major, harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished and whole tone), seventh arpeggios and some chords (7th, 9th etc.)

Session styles, you will have to play 4 songs from a selection of ten, all of these are prepared.

LPW, you will have to play three songs with your band from the songs you will learn in lesson.

I think that's all the exam stuff, I know it looks like a lot but it isn't as bad as it seems you will cover all of it in lesson. I didn't know most of it before I went to the ACM so you should be alright. I can't remember what I did for the coursework but I don't remember it being very hard.

You will learn a lot about the industry, and you will find out about a lot of career opportunities that you probably havn't thought about. Right now I'm going to start writing music for film and TV, which I wouldn't have done if I didn't go to the ACM.

There are workshops where you can learn vocals and you can probably book tutorials with the vocal teachers.

That took a long time to write, I hope it helps.

Hey thanks alot mate you've been a HUGE help, really supportive, alas i have no more questions! (you can stop cheering now...)

Thanks again for taking the time, if i see you around the building i'll let you know who i am