Is it possible?
I mean something like this, yet only more extreme... a little more wood taken out and cut deeper and thinner.

Are the any major downsides or problems with doing this?
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
Quote by Deezy

Are the any major downsides or problems with doing this?

Yeah. If you take out too much wood with could make the heel break, and if you don't get radically shorter screws then they'll go through the fretboard.

Usually when you see a contoured heel on a bolt-on it's a Jackson or Ibanez, or something where the neck bolts into the pocket, rather than bolting onto a chunk that sticks out.
You mean something like an Ibanez AANJ heel?

It's just a lot of work, for what in my opinion is not a big difference. You'd have to dowel the old drill holes if you want to change the position of them. You'd have to get a new neck plate or use ferrules unless you want ugly screws sticking out. The hardest part I think would be refinishing, since you're going to have to carve into the wood. To me the better access heels are just way cooler looking, they're not really significantly easier to play on. If you're willing to do all that work I'd say go for it.
EDIT: ^ that stuff as well.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Sep 7, 2009,
I dont really see the point of doing this, why do you want to do it?

But as long as there is still enough wood for the bolts to go into, then I suppose you could do it, but shaving off any amount of wood will make the neck joint weaker.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I dont really see the point of doing this, why do you want to do it?

But as long as there is still enough wood for the bolts to go into, then I suppose you could do it, but shaving off any amount of wood will make the neck joint weaker.

easier access. i didn't think it was that radical of a thought. it's pretty common.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
Quote by Deezy
easier access. i didn't think it was that radical of a thought. it's pretty common.

Why you asking for help if you already think you understand then.

I'm just telling you what i think about it.

And what I said is true.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Doing it the way warmoth does is not very hard. I did it to a squire with no issues. Even got rid of the neck plate and used recessed ferrules, but this does require relocating the 2 holes closest to the edge. And you do need to cut the screws down. Is a good mod tho.
Quote by jean_genie
Yeah. If you take out too much wood with could make the heel break, and if you don't get radically shorter screws then they'll go through the fretboard.

You'd have to take out a retardedly uge amount of wood for it to break. worst case scenario, TS, is that you take out too much wood and make the neck unstable, but again, that's alot of wood.

the screws don't have to be "radically" shorter, just 3/32" or 1/8" or so.

/nit-picking