How can I fix this? Would it be a pickup swap or is it just my EQ'ing and OD pedal?
Only clips I can post are kinda muffled and distant but I could give set up and EQ if that'd help?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

what pickups do you currently use? a EQ will allow you to dial in better lows.

do you mean muddy as in loose or muddy as in distorted?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

what settings are you using?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
A pickup swap could help too,
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Lower gain, lower bass, up mids.

That's what one guy told me and it has worked wonders.

If you still have troubles, invest in an EQ pedal, and if it still doesn't work, new pickups.
@Silver Spear I mean it's really loose.

@Dimebag, I don't use a large amount of gain really. I use my 2 Tube Screamers (the double trouble) essentially as clean boosts but one of them has the drive at 9o'clock the other has it at about 7/8o'clock

I'm using stock pickups on an Epi' Standard LP
Amp settings:
Treble 4
Mids 6
Bass 6
Presence 6

EQ pedal 1: slight V with higher bass and mids just below 0. This one sits in my effects loop and is used to tighten up my fuzz or push my OD for a kind of Metallica sound
EQ 2: High first slider low on the bass -> mids section and then raised for sliders 5 6 & 7. This one sits in front of my amp and I use it to add a bit of something to cleans if I feel a certain song just needs a thicker clean tone.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
@Silver Spear I mean it's really loose.

@Dimebag, I don't use a large amount of gain really. I use my 2 Tube Screamers (the double trouble) essentially as clean boosts but one of them has the drive at 9o'clock the other has it at about 7/8o'clock

I'm using stock pickups on an Epi' Standard LP
Amp settings:
Treble 4
Mids 6
Bass 6
Presence 6

EQ pedal 1: slight V with higher bass and mids just below 0. This one sits in my effects loop and is used to tighten up my fuzz or push my OD for a kind of Metallica sound
EQ 2: High first slider low on the bass -> mids section and then raised for sliders 5 6 & 7. This one sits in front of my amp and I use it to add a bit of something to cleans if I feel a certain song just needs a thicker clean tone.

well, you obviously need to raise your treble. i'd try:
Treble 6-7
Mids 6
Bass 5
Presence 7
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Tackleberry
Epi stock pickups just tend to be muddy. Boosting your treble more might help.
Very true. Though raising the treble will only be a bandaid fix. A new bridge pickup at the least is a must with Epiphone LP's and SG's. The stock neck pickups aren't half bad.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Try using a frowny face curve on your pre gain EQ then scooping the mids slightly on the amp. Keep the treble higher than the bass on the amp. You could get rid of the other EQ oe use it as a solo boost. This should tighten up the amp considerably.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Try using a frowny face curve on your pre gain EQ then scooping the mids slightly on the amp. Keep the treble higher than the bass on the amp. You could get rid of the other EQ oe use it as a solo boost. This should tighten up the amp considerably.
Why would you tell him to scoop his mids?!
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Why would you tell him to scoop his mids?!

That's a common technique to tighten up the amp overall. EVH used it on the first few albums to tighten up his tone. It works pretty good too.

EDIT: That's also how Mark Series EQs work and they're some tight ****ing amps. The parametric EQ is pre gain and the graphic is post gain, which is why you see so many players using a V shape on the graphic EQ.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 7, 2009,