I have been wondering for a while now why everyone (or most people) on these forums seem to use pedal boards consisting of a bunch of mix-matched pedals instead of a multiFX pedal ike the Line 6 POD XT, which I've heard good things about.

I've been a big fan of acoustics for a long time, and though I have an electric, I was never really into it. Lately, I've started to play electric again, and plan on getting a new one, along with an amp and some effects, and don't get me wrong, I fully intend to try before i buy anything, but I was just puzzled as to this bias towards pedals, as opposed to something like the POD, which can give you many more effects for the same or lower cost.
Are pedals generally considered better quality?
I just wanted to clear this up before I go out to buy something.
thanks.
Last edited by TheKillerILoved at Sep 7, 2009,
multiFX arent always practical.

i use a multi FX in amoung my other pedals, but its only a modulator, delay and noisegate. it often takes ages to switch through to the right preset within a song, and it can stop you dead if you have to switch through too many presets.

usually, stompboxes have higher quality FX.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

the POD is pretty good but multi fx neversound as good as a stand alone pedal.most people dont need that many fx anyway so it saves money
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
yeah its hard to get straight to the effects with multi effects pedals which don't always have high quality effects, the only exception is that i have found that line 6 effects are really easy and sound great.
Quote by Silver-spear94
multiFX arent always practical.

i use a multi FX in amoung my other pedals, but its only a modulator, delay and noisegate. it often takes ages to switch through to the right preset within a song, and it can stop you dead if you have to switch through too many presets.

usually, stompboxes have higher quality FX.

+1 this is generally the reason why. I will say, if you use mulitple effect settings, a mfx can be very handy with the presets. IE each song can have a preset with exact settings and now bending over and flipping knobs in the middle of sets. That being said being able to flip knobs has some advantages. but just a few added notes

M-Fx Pros
Cheaper to purchase (as compared to the number of pedals you would buy other wise)
Cheaper to opperate (only 1 power source)
Easier to carry around and set up
Easy storage of presets

Cons:
One time Big investment for higher quality effects (typically 300-500 dollars)
Quality (although this is debateable)
Overall complexity.

What I have figured out, for ease in playing live I choose my LINE6 X3 live. it does so much plus more, and I can preset each song as needed. But I will say that my single pedal rig is just as fantastic and fun, just a pain to carry around all the time, even on a pedal bored.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Yes, a multi FX is generally the cheapest option, but it is much more of a hassle to work with. The sound quality is also generally worse.
Another important point is that you can't decide the order of your pedals. For example, placing your distortion before or after a Wah can give quite a difference
i like the fact that i have the freedom to just swap different pedals about in the signal chain, and replace pedals when i want to with something slightly different. gives you a lot more freedom. i also find it far easier having all the control knobs for the pedals there in front of me, rather than having to mess about like you do on a multi fx.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Yea it's a trade-off - do one thing really well, or a bunch of things, less well.
The Line 6 you are talking about is actually pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting one myself to simplify my live rig (and I'm the guy who has a huuuge pedalboard full of separate effects).

The main reason to buy separate effects is because you can choose the pedal that is right for you. You might not like the chorus, flanger, etc. effect on a multi processor, but you can buy the right pedal for you.
Quote by jinjan29
Digital = inferior to Analog effects

false.
you get what you pay for.

-a high end digital effect is miles ahead of mediocre analog effect.

-a high end analog effect is much better than cheap digital effect.

-a high end digital effect and a high end analog effect are both incredible. neither it "better." one may be more suited to a particular style or player, but its all about preference.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Also, many people (myself included) are tone freaks and are not just looking for a simple delay, chorus, distortion, overdrive, etc. Most manufacturers, a very good at making certain types of pedals, but might not have the exact sound that you are looking for.

Take Boss For example. Even though they make all sorts of pedals, most people will agree that their delay pedals lack very little and will be great. Their distortion and overdrive, however, are not to everyone's liking and some people would prefer another brand, so would not want to get a Boss multi-fx pedal.
A Pod with an FBV pedal is easy to use, sounds good and you can switch between presets without having to skip through loads that you don't want.
Quote by chea_man
false.

-a high end digital effect and a high end analog effect are both incredible. neither it "better." one may be more suited to a particular style or player, but its all about preference.

+1
Quote by chea_man
false.

100% totally agree.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by chea_man
false.

thank you for saving me the time chea_man. i hate seeing blantantly biased observations that are based on opinion rather than critical evaluation based on truth. also, i'd like to add that higher end digital effects right now require a more intensive processing power than is readily available right now for a good price, so good digital effects tend to cost a bit more as well. but they will get cheaper in the future.

my personal distaste for multi effects boards is because of the more cumbersome interface. it's click, click, twist, spin, click, click, scroll, twist, spin, click, finally changed the delay time and then.... DAMN, i forgot to save it. rinse and repeat.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by jinjan29
Digital = inferior to Analog effects

wrong. Digital delays trump analog delays in clarity, reliability and price. most people just buy into the whole "Oh, analog it-must-be-better" mentality.

but to TS, multi effects do have practical uses. for a home user, they can be great. but imagine this scenario: you're a gigging guitarist, warming up at your sound check 30 minutes before your show, and your multi fx starts bogging out. all of a sudden, the sound stops completely. your whole source of effects, delays, choruses, phasers, flangers, distortions and compressors, are shot. so, now you have to play the show sans effects, which many of your songs depende on.

even if there are any guitar shoppes nearby, what are the changes they'll be have your multi fx or even be open. how long will it take you to re-program all of your presets?

now imagine this scenario: you're a gigging guitarist, warming up at your sound check 30 minutes before your show, and your sound starts bogging out. all of a sudden, the sound stops completely. you trace the problem back to one faulty pedal, take it out of the signal path. now you have two options: get your backup effect and continue, or play the show without one of your effects.

hmmm.... one of these situations sound much better than the other, eh?

Quote by CapnKickass
personally I'd like to get one of these majiggers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUUCRJGdko

i'd rather have this setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 7, 2009,
Thanks everyone. I think, at this point, I will get a few pedals for some of the more "important" or prominent-sounding effects, and possibly a multiFX pedal to cover anything else I may need. That seems like the best solution from my point of view, yet is not very cost-effective, especially with everything else I've left to buy.