Hi guys, So I've been playing guitar for about a year now and I want to get into playing fast leads (Well almost everybody wants to, lol) and I've been practicing picking open strings for 30 minutes every day (An hour and 15 minutes on weekends) and I try and rest my hand on the bridge (I've been watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_w8Eq5mBc&feature=related) and It sort of hurts when i keep it on the bridge. I think it's my picking hand's grip. are there really right and wrong ways to holding the pick? (I just switched from Fender Medium picks to Dunlop Jazz III's) If so, please tell me

Thanks
UPDATE: I just watched Paul Gilbert's picking lessons on Youtube and that REALLY helped me. I now hole the pick on the side of my my index finger rather than the flat part, and it helped me ALOT and its alot more comfortable. Thanks again UG, even if I'm talking to myself, lol
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
your grandma caught you jackin off to friends??!!?!
im not too shocked

Quote by ThinDizzy
+1 Internets to you, sir.

My first intarwebz
Ibanez GRG170>2008 MIM strat (Its my dad's though)>Random 90's Randall tube (My dad's)>GatorGrip2mm
Honestly, you shouldn't be listening to Expert Village, they tend to have horrible instructors and lessons, and you can find much better lessons elsewhere.

You shouldn't be anchoring your hand on the bridge, and please don' try to imitate how that guy holds his pick, his hand looks tensed up (though it might work for him, try to stay away from tensing up your hand). You should only be lightly resting the fleshy part of the thumb part of your palm on the strings, but it should really be part of your muting technique rather than picking.

You should be holding your pick as comfortable as you can, it should be like an extension of your fingers. Try to hold it as loose as you can, but tight enough so that it doesn't slip. Experiement with different ways of hold your pick. Also, I don't recommend you be using Jazz picks at this point, as you're still uncomfortable with holding a pick, and your picking hand. Switch to jazz picks only when you're comfortable. I recommend you practice with your regular picks, and when you feel comfortable, and can pick with some amount of speed, switch to Jazz's to see if they're right for you.

Most of you're picking motion should come from your wrist, and be as efficient as possible. Also practie with a metronome, and increase speed only at 5bpm at a time, ONLY when you're comfortable with the speed you where at before.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by zincabopataurio
Honestly, you shouldn't be listening to Expert Village, they tend to have horrible instructors and lessons, and you can find much better lessons elsewhere.

You shouldn't be anchoring your hand on the bridge, and please don' try to imitate how that guy holds his pick, his hand looks tensed up (though it might work for him, try to stay away from tensing up your hand). You should only be lightly resting the fleshy part of the thumb part of your palm on the strings, but it should really be part of your muting technique rather than picking.

You should be holding your pick as comfortable as you can, it should be like an extension of your fingers. Try to hold it as loose as you can, but tight enough so that it doesn't slip. Experiement with different ways of hold your pick. Also, I don't recommend you be using Jazz picks at this point, as you're still uncomfortable with holding a pick, and your picking hand. Switch to jazz picks only when you're comfortable. I recommend you practice with your regular picks, and when you feel comfortable, and can pick with some amount of speed, switch to Jazz's to see if they're right for you.

Most of you're picking motion should come from your wrist, and be as efficient as possible. Also practie with a metronome, and increase speed only at 5bpm at a time, ONLY when you're comfortable with the speed you where at before.

Thank you so much :-)

And are Tortexes good becoming comfortable with the pick? (I have the .88 green ones)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
your grandma caught you jackin off to friends??!!?!
im not too shocked

Quote by ThinDizzy
+1 Internets to you, sir.

My first intarwebz
Ibanez GRG170>2008 MIM strat (Its my dad's though)>Random 90's Randall tube (My dad's)>GatorGrip2mm
I prefer dunlop tortexes (yellow .73s) to jazz IIIs - but I do file my tortexes pointy and score them to make them more grippy lol

Just to add to what zincabopataurio said - relax your picking hand and look at it - thats pretty much what it should look like when you're picking.
Any pick would be fine, as long as it's "regular" sized. Personally, Cellioud picks (what I'm assuming your Fender pick is made out of) where my favourite, Dunlop and Fender make nice Cellioud picks. Tortex picks are also a personal favourite of mine. I'd say the picks you have right now are all good, just focus on your picking and eventually things like pick material and size will all start to matter to you.
Quote by DeGVk14

And are Tortexes good becoming comfortable with the pick? (I have the .88 green ones)

These will do fine. These are what I play with and I love them. Honestly, any pick which is heavy enough to not deform noticeably when you are hitting the strings will work fine for faster picking styles. Roughly 0.7mm and up.