i Know what numbers the frets are.. but i dont understand when a person puts a finger over a fret and says its A, or G on the neck of the guitar?
Do you guys get what i mean?
Its confusing.. well for me it is, im a bit of a begginer i suppose.
i wanna play stuff like the chord A but ive seen people play the chord A but in a kind of Fm# shape futher down the neck..
Help.. Please Lol
-Buckers!
exp. low e string right! open is e , 1st fret is f , 2nd is f#, 3 is G exct. it goes A A# B C C#
D D# E F F# G G# then back to A. there is always a sharp after everyone execpt B and E(breaking and entering is how i remember. hope that helps
Thanks!!
so do i use the f shape all the way down the neck of the guitar?
So that "F Shape" is probably a barred chord. Meaning the fingerings, going from low string to high, would be 133211. It's an "F" because the root note, on the lowest string, is on the first fret which plays the note of "F". If you wanted to play an "A" chord with that major chord shape, your lowest note would be on the 5th fret instead of the 1st.

E|--5--|
B|--5--|
G|--6--|
D|--7--|
A|--7--|
E|--5--|
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
You can move the F shape up and down the neck and the chord is whichever note is on the thick E string. You can do the same with other chord shapes (eg A) There are lessons on here for that
Quote by Buckers
Thanks!!
so do i use the f shape all the way down the neck of the guitar?

Absoultly. and that will give you diffrenet chords. if you do it on th 5th fret that is an Amin chord and if you do it on 7 its a Bmin chord.

The cool thing is, if you change it a little bit you can make major chords too. and when you get a littlbe bit more practice you can do maj7 chords or min7 chord or a whole slew od new chords and it just mean you have to move you hand up and down
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Ohh!!! i understand now!!!! gee thanks every one
Ledgendry
Thank you veryy muchh!
ah im so happy now
Quote by teknotard
Absoultly. and that will give you diffrenet chords. if you do it on th 5th fret that is an Amin chord and if you do it on 7 its a Bmin chord.

The cool thing is, if you change it a little bit you can make major chords too. and when you get a littlbe bit more practice you can do maj7 chords or min7 chord or a whole slew od new chords and it just mean you have to move you hand up and down

So to paly it maj7 and thing u would move them down a string?? like

--1--
--2--
--3--
--3--
--1--
--0--

is that the kinda stuff u ment?
Quote by Buckers
So to paly it maj7 and thing u would move them down a string?? like

--1--
--2--
--3--
--3--
--1--
--0--

is that the kinda stuff u ment?

If you play what you have put here without the open E string (mute it) you have A# or Bb minor. Mobe the shape up afret you get B minor, up another C minor etc
it might help to think of it like this.....

open E is your "F" shape but you barre over the nut. I actually use my 2nd to 4th finger to do an open E then slide up a fret and your already in F position. Same with A or Am a string down. Barre the nut and use your third finger to make an A or "F" shape to an Am.

Each note/ chord whatever has 1 step in between (Except E to F and B to C therfore 7 full notes and 5 in between notes ) which is your flat or sharp (based on which direction you are travelling although except for F# you gernerally refer to the flat (ie; E!, D!, etc (! = flat)). If your playing F and go up one step/ fret its F# (or G!). hopefully this helps a bit. Use the diagram. Its basically what i used (different version of it)

you might also note that each note follows the same pattern throughout the fret board although starts in diff. position. this is really irrelevant mostly, but can help you figutre out which chord is being played when using a number tab with no indicating chord names.