Okay, £600 is coming my way, and I'm in the market for a new guitar. I want an all out rock guitar.

The Gibson Les Paul Junior got 5/5 in this months TG, and flawless reviews on HC. So, it seems perfect. But is there anything else that is similar for the same price that out does the LP Junior?
LP Junior doublecut?

Similar in what way though?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Well, I want a thick-bodied. Classic looking, versatile riff-machine. I want great cleans with loud, crunchy drives. Is the Junior good?
I'd Take a gordon smith over it anyday, check em out

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/category.php?id=1
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Last edited by Beffyyy at Sep 7, 2009,
I tried one the other week, and it was quite amazing, and suprisingly versatile. It handles high gain well, and the cleans are good too, albeit a bit bright because there's only the bridge pickup, but roll of the tone control and you'll have a warmer tone. The neck feels really nice as well.

It's good.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I noticed a copy of TG in one of your pictures concerning your Parker. Congratulations on the sale.

Anyway, the Washburn Gold top with p90's is a lovely guitar.

PRS SE One and the two pickup version are also both lovely guitars. The sound is particularly more bassy and pronounced on the Single-cut versions over the Double-cut. I'd recommend them.

Godin LG has great build quality and plays really nicely for such a cheap guitar.

The Gibson Junior is a fantastic guitar. It's equal to all the others, just simply less bells 'n whistles than, say, the Washburn.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I noticed a copy of TG in one of your pictures concerning your Parker. Congratulations on the sale.

Yeah, monthly subscriber.
The Gordon Smiths look very nice.

There is another guitar I'd like to recommend as it works for me: http://www.fender.co.uk/products//search.php?partno=0137702392
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by triestobeat
Les Paul Juniors were made very cheap and as a "student guitar". I really wanted one back in the days when I LOVED Green Day, but only because I idolized Billie Joe and not because they sounded good. I think the hype around them is more because they're rare (well, WERE rare) than how good their sound is.
The Billie Joe guitar sounds fine. There's nothing wrong with it, apart from the fact it lumps you into a certain charatagory and genre.
The cheaper, non artist version, is just without the price tag and awful connotations.
I own a LP Jr. and it is quite nice actually. It is a very powerful sounding guitar, works well for all kinds of music IMO. I have a clip in my profile that I did for someone else who was considering this guitar. The PRS SE is the most directly comparable guitar that I know of. SEs are usually pretty nice and a bit cheaper than the Gibson. Keep in mind my LP Jr is a bit older before they switched to satin finishes and so on.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Billie Joe guitar sounds fine. There's nothing wrong with it, apart from the fact it lumps you into a certain charatagory and genre.
The cheaper, non artist version, is just without the price tag and awful connotations.

i agree it sound fine but it does have a different neck on it to the standard LP JR. the Neck on it is hard to describe, its really nice for chord type work but feels abit uncomfortable higher up the neck Atleast for me.

+1 For The Washy Goldtop, its a really nice Guitar or atleast the one which i had in my hands two days ago was!! QC Was spot on and had a similar neck to a Les Paul Traditional
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Ah... well...

The les paul junior is a particular sounding guitar, it's definitely not your run of the mill les paul in terms of tone, it's brighter, thinner and more edgy sounding... it's not particularly diverse sounding, in the sense that you can get a wide variety of tones out of it, but the sounds you can get out of it are useful for many different applications, so it's semi-versatile.

Just make sure you actually like the sound of P-90s first, I know a guy who was obsessed with Zeppelin and bought a les paul junior several years ago because it was the only one he could afford at the time, and whilst it's a cool sounding guitar, it definitely does not sound like a 2 humbucker les paul.
It is not for everybody, no. And it's versatility is limited. But is also very much dependant on your amplifier. I've seen people playing through an ENFL Fireball and reaching ripping tones out of it. Yet, someone with a Bad Cat elicited gorgeous jazz lines out of it at a gig I attended in my home town during the summer.

I've never heard anyone disliking the P90's, though. It may not be what they specifically wanted, but they still appreciate the sound.
Quote by nospacesallowed
^ but do they sound good.

Also, that tele looks gorgeous.

Well, I have a Les Paul Junior [it's a doublecut, but it's NOT made by Gibson, but by "Arbiter" [who made the original Fuzz Face] in the '70s. Still a great instrument though], and it does sound very nice. They are just as good as any guitar in terms of tone.

And that Tele is amazing - it even has a one piece maple neck. And it's within your budget. I recommended it as it met your criteria for a guitar with crunch .
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by triestobeat
I wasn't talking about the Billie Joe version, I meant the original 1960's make... they aren't as good as the price would make you believe ($10,000 and more.) I've never played the newer versions, but for the price of one you might as well just get a Les Paul Standard or Classic.
Ah, sorry, mate. My mistake.

There are actually a couple of other guitars I'd suggest. Tokai, Burny both make similar knock-offs that have excellent Japenesse build quality.
man, i say go for a burny, they are relatively cheap on ebay. and they are very near exact replicas of gibson les pauls.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by al112987
Ah... well...

The les paul junior is a particular sounding guitar, it's definitely not your run of the mill les paul in terms of tone, it's brighter, thinner and more edgy sounding... it's not particularly diverse sounding, in the sense that you can get a wide variety of tones out of it, but the sounds you can get out of it are useful for many different applications, so it's semi-versatile.

Just make sure you actually like the sound of P-90s first, I know a guy who was obsessed with Zeppelin and bought a les paul junior several years ago because it was the only one he could afford at the time, and whilst it's a cool sounding guitar, it definitely does not sound like a 2 humbucker les paul.

+1

a twin pickup version might be more sensible, too, in terms of versatility.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Best thing to do is phone up the store in advance and state that you will be buying a Les Paul on the day but need to test other guitars for a few hours to make sure it's the right guitar for you. This was they wont think you're a tire kicker. Test several guitars through different amps and when you've picked the one that suits your style of music try a number of different ones of the exact same model as they all sound and feel different.

Good luck with your selection.

Simon.
It all depends on what you play, but because of the tone, Juniors are generally associated with punk and blues.

The regular Gibson Juniors aren't bad, it's just unfortunate that they're not made at all to proper junior specs.

Get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120466052304&Category=33037&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

If you can win the bid that is. But this will be way better than the Gibson Juniors.

Made in Japan Epiphones are basically re-branded Orville guitars. And the Japanese Juniors are made to proper vintage specs, and not the modern ones for Gibson's cheapo Juniors.
Last edited by The_Roth_KungFu at Sep 13, 2009,
Quote by The_Roth_KungFu
It all depends on what you play, but because of the tone, Juniors are generally associated with punk and blues.

The regular Gibson Juniors aren't bad, it's just unfortunate that they're not made at all to proper junior specs.

Get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120466052304&Category=33037&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

If you can win the bid that is. But this will be way better than the Gibson Juniors.

Made in Japan Epiphones are basically re-branded Orville guitars. And the Japanese Juniors are made to proper vintage specs, and not the modern ones for Gibson's cheapo Juniors.
Not really... the bridge and pickup placement does not look right for a '57 at all. Not saying that the Gibson IS vintage spec, it's probably not, even the historics which have been made since the freaking '80s did not fix the tailpiece until this year.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 13, 2009,