Hi guys.

I'm a guitar player playing bass in a band and recently i think the band isn't going anywhere. However, i still like playing bass and want to keep my bass rig. But my only problem is that i have no room to keep a bass stack. I have a 1x15 cabinet and a 2x10 cabinet (the 2x10 sits vertically ontop of the 1x15, pefect fit). If you find that weird, it's because i have a Gallien Krueger 400RB-III bass head that runs 240 watts at 4 ohms and to save some money i bought my cabs second hand.

I want to get rid of the 2x10 because its worth the most, not as loud, and so i can use that money to get a tube combo and continue playing guitar. My only problem is that i still gig sometimes, and i want to have my full 240 watts.

Can i take out the 8 ohm 15" speaker from my cab and switch it to a 4 ohm 15" speaker? or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

PS - this is the 1x15 cab
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=10&cat=62&id=361
Yes you can switch out the speakers, but speakers need to be matched with the cabs, meaning it wouldn't be the best.

If you were just using 1x15. Having it 4 ohm compared to 8 ohm, the volume will not be considerably louder. If its volume you want, you need to add speakers.
Quote by gwath42
Yes you can switch out the speakers, but speakers need to be matched with the cabs, meaning it wouldn't be the best.

If you were just using 1x15. Having it 4 ohm compared to 8 ohm, the volume will not be considerably louder. If its volume you want, you need to add speakers.

+1

Having the extra wattage isn't going to make that big of a difference. Removing a cab will make a huge difference though.
Nope, no sig here.
aww i guess that'll be an issue then. with 2 cabs i have been loud enough to play a small dance floor sized gig without being ran through the house PA.

so i guess i'm better off keeping the 2 cabs then? Money isn't my issue right now, it's just i don't have alot of space for the cabs, but i do need the power for possible gigs.

would you guys suggest me getting rid of the cabs and getting possibly a 4 ohm 4x10 cabinet or a 2x12 or something? they'd take up less space in my place and easier to lug around i guess. Also at 4 ohms.
Last edited by BH7697 at Sep 7, 2009,
Doubling the power will give you an extra 3dB of loudness. Doubling the radiating area of the speakers will also give an extra 3dB. This means you could be losing about 6dB which is pretty noticable, Gwath42 is spot on about speakers matching cabinets, so a straight swap isn't on.

What you could try long term is looking for a much more efficient cab. Commercial speakers vary from 94-102 dB per watt routinely and you might even manage slightly higher than 102 if you are lucky. I don't know the efficiency of your current speakers but it is quite possible that a really efficient speaker might beat your current set up by an extra 6dB which will at least take you back to where you are now. Most of the most efficient speakers available for bass are 4x10's or you could look to build.

If you want to experiment with the loudest sound you can extract from your 1x15 remember it is the deep bass that overloads and distorts your amp but the mids that give the impression of loudness; so try tuning the bass down a notch or two and the mids up a little. Live you can try adding to your sound through the PA