I'm looking into buying an Orange Rocker 30 head to go with my 1960av cabinet.

I always play an amp before I buy it, but I didn't this time just because I love the Orange AD30 so much and they are pretty similar. Side note: I hate the thunderverb.. sounds like orange tried metal >.<

anyway

What are all your opinions on the amp? I want something thick and warm, that can be boosted to a real nice distorted tone.

Something that doesn't JUST sound good at low volumes. I don't wanna get this thing and crank it and find out it turns to fizzy ice picky **** at practice levels.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
i dont find the Rocker 30 and AD30 to be that similar. each has it's own flavors as all amps do.

addendum: what i'm trying to say is.....if you liked the sound coming out of the AD30, save the extra cash for one, or try and find one used to make up the difference.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Sep 7, 2009,
I've played through one of these, and they are a nice amp.

It has two channels, natural and dirty. Natural is your clean channel and just has a volume knob, but this isn't a problem as it gives some great cleans. If you want to adjust it more, then just turn the tone and volume knobs on your guitar.

Dirty has more options for EQ, giving you low, mid, and high, as well as gain and volume. And yes, this amp can get pretty distorted.

I really like the amp: it is both warm and thick and you can get some really good sounds out of it without very much effort. Well worth checking out.

On a side note, if you go for their Rockerverb 50 it adds in reverb and an eq option for treble and bass on the clean channel. Its about $400 more than the Rocker 30, but the additional options might be worth it.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by Xeron Brigs
I've played through one of these, and they are a nice amp.

It has two channels, natural and dirty. Natural is your clean channel and just has a volume knob, but this isn't a problem as it gives some great cleans. If you want to adjust it more, then just turn the tone and volume knobs on your guitar.

Dirty has more options for EQ, giving you low, mid, and high, as well as gain and volume. And yes, this amp can get pretty distorted.

I really like the amp: it is both warm and thick and you can get some really good sounds out of it without very much effort. Well worth checking out.

On a side note, if you go for their Rockerverb 50 it adds in reverb and an eq option for treble and bass on the clean channel. Its about $400 more than the Rocker 30, but the additional options might be worth it.

I probabally would go for that but I only have $800 - $900 to spend on the new amp.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
i own an AD30HTC, and i don't think the Rocker 30 is very similar. I don't know much about the R30, but if you have any questions regarding the AD30HTc, feel free to drop me a PM.
The AD30 is nothing like the Rocker 30. They have different preamp and poweramp valves and one has a rectifier valve.

The Rocker 30 is a far more 'standard' sounding amp. It has a smooth crunch with plenty of bass, treble and middle. i.e. it's balanced and pronounced.

While the AD30 is far more unique. It also is less dark and bassy. The ECC83's have loads of preamp gain, which means it has more drive to it. I'm not particularly sure whether it's your cup of tea, but it's more in the lines of the Recitifier series that Mesa Boogie make.

The AD30 is for fluid, but interesting music. While the Rocker feels more rawky and sure of itself.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 7, 2009,
I personally am not a big fan of the Rocker 30. It's an ok amp, but has a character that some people just really do not like (and some people love). It's definitely not ice picky but you might find it a little too fuzzy and it gets a little muddy.