i know this might have been asked a million times but i search and found nothing to my liking so here goes. i have been playing acoustic guitar for over a year now but practice was up and down because i love to compose but i want to be able to play live as well so the problem was listening back and playing what i hear so i moved away from searching for tabs because i want to be able to hear a song and play it back and have a good amount of songs under my belt. i'm from jamaica and i listen to alot of reggae and rock and i find barre chords difficult to play so i stick mostly to open chords. any advice on how to construct a good practice plan would be help full thanks in advance for all your help.
That's great that you want to stay away from tablature to train your ears, but until you get barre chords down, go ahead and use them. You won't be able to figure out what barre chords sound like unless you learn to use them. From there you can start training your ear by teaching yourself your favorite songs and checking your version against other tablature.

From being able to teach yourself songs, you'll have a much easier time remembering what you've come up with on your own.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
thanks man i am going to search for some tabs to practice in the mean time to practice. the reason i have trouble getting barre chords down is that my fingers get tired after playing a few chords,ie my thump and the finger that barre the fret and that section of my hand hurts along with my wrist so i stop practing the barre chords for that reason. and im wondering if it's because my guitar is classical acoustic guitar and the neck is a bit wide?
Last edited by draeday at Sep 7, 2009,
Its because it will take a lot of time and practice to build up the hand strength to play barre chords consistantly and painlessly. Honestly, it takes a LONG time to build up enough hand strength to keep it from bothering you.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
if you're using a classical guitar, that could be part of the reason why barre chords are so difficult; The Neck is wider on a classical than on your average steel string, which could explain your pain. And yes, barre chords can be painful to play; I still have trouble with ones like Gm, F#m, Fm7, etc. Those ones are very difficult. Start out practicing some barre chords like A Major, B and C Major, then move down the neck to G major and eventually F major (my least favorite).
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
so what u suggest keep at it until the pain stops? what about open chords?
it's the same as when you learned open chords, just barre chords are the next step. keep practicing them and you'll get them eventually.

pain doesn't go away. i still get pains in mine.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
here is a picture of how i hold the guitar when playing barre chords and most of the time it's my thumb which hurts me the most so i'm wondering if my thumb is in the wrong position
Attachments:
PICT0368.JPG