Okay, so I've had very little formal instruction. I use a squier strat, a fender practice amp, and a zoom g2.1u effects pedal. Can anyone tell me what configurations I need to make so that when I do finger tapping it actually makes a sound on the guitar because right now it's really weak.
Orange Juice+ Toothpaste= EWWWWW!!!!!
Learn to tap properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Learn to tap properly.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
It's pretty much impossible to tap with that rig, dude.

EDIT:
Quote by steven seagull
Learn to tap properly.

+2.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Sep 7, 2009,
Oh, well, thanks guys, pantera what do you mean by "lower action"?
Orange Juice+ Toothpaste= EWWWWW!!!!!
Pratice one day maybe you'll be able to play with an amp lol
I have to mention that you don't need a particularly low action to tap, nor do you need high gain. Although these things can help.

Remember, it is possible on an acoustic!

If you want your tapping to sound better, try tapping close to the frets (obv. not on the fret itself), and keep practicing to get it right.

Being good at guitar isn't about effects.
It will make your taps sound good if you've got lots of high-gain distortion on, as they'll ring through better. However, just practice them cleanly, because playing under distortion tends to make you think you're playing better than you are (disguises your mistakes somewhat).
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
I've got a Squier Strat as well, and started out with an Acoustic Solutions amp and tapping on it IS crap, so buy a better amp, cos it sounds decent enough on my new Line 6 Spider IV
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
on cheaper guitars you usually need to pull off on the string harder to get any tapping sound at all. as for effects, some heavier distortion and maybe a chorus effect work well with tapping.
Line 6 spider - Insane mode
Treble - all the way
Mid - tiny bit over half way
bass- middle
Overdrive - 2 or 3 bars over middle

(Insert guitar with decent pickups - Ibanez RG350dx - or any RG for that matter)
Tap away
Don't Be Afraid and just look across Blue Fields.
You'll eventually see the Fisherman's Horizon.
Oh come on you gotta admit though it's not the worst amp you can get
It's a good small practice amp..
Last edited by Novalydian at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Novalydian
Oh come on you gotta admit though it's not the worst amp you can get
It's a good small practice amp.. if guitar shop owners didn't flog them so much i believe the line 6 spider would have because this 'travesty'

I agree with this. I own one, and it's not too horrible. I don't exactly like it, but I can't afford a new amp so .

However, telling someone to use the insane channel is terrible advice. The insane channel sucks so bad. Why would you ever use that?
Quote by pantera456
I agree with this. I own one, and it's not too horrible. I don't exactly like it, but I can't afford a new amp so .

However, telling someone to use the insane channel is terrible advice. The insane channel sucks so bad. Why would you ever use that?

How can you not use the insane channel?
The metal channel is so bland it's terrible.. in fact the metal setting is only good IMO for punk.. but then again it's personal preference.

Also I'm in your boat... i can't exactly afford a new amp so I'm stuck with it..
Last edited by Novalydian at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by Novalydian
How can you not use the insane channel?
The metal channel is so bland it's terrible.. in fact the metal setting is only good IMO for punk.. but then again it's personal preference.

Also I'm in your boat... i can't exactly afford a new amp so I'm stuck with it..

The insane channel was the result of someone asking "How much gain can we pile on before the amp explodes?" It's terrible. Everything sounds messy on it. I don't use any of the distortion channels though, none are very good. I use a pedal.
Quote by pantera456
The insane channel was the result of someone asking "How much gain can we pile on before the amp explodes?" It's terrible. Everything sounds messy on it. I don't use any of the distortion channels though, none are very good. I use a pedal.

Ahh well i only believe it sounds messy if you haven't messed around with the bass/treble etc settings for a while and i guess it depends on your playing style.

Hmph i need some distortion pedals.. once again money is an issue (Insert means to find a job here)
Yeah ok.. no need for sarcasm...