Hey, i've narrowed it down to 2 guitars from a previous post. I'm gonna get a new guitar soon and i'm stuck between the gibson sg standard and a fender highway one. I currently play in an ac/dc coverband and have a gibson sg special faded. If i were to get a standard i'd replace the pickups with an angus young signature and a tv jones classic. Secondly I've always wanted a strat because my favorite players all exclusivly play on strats. Please post your opinions.
Strat
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
Sell special SG and get standard SG and Strat? Why do you want 2 SGs? They're similar enough.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Since you already have an SG, and are probably satisfied with its sound, I would go for the Strat. The Single Coils will give you a different sound than an SG with humbuckers, and you seem to want one.

Also, couldn’t you replace the pickups on your Gibson SG Special?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
a white strat tbh, best color for strats imo
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago, and chose the strat in the end, I went in the shop not really knowing what to expect of either but I loved the strat's clean tones and tonal variety enough to throw me in the direction of it. I still love SGs though and will definitely get one one day.

If you've already got one SG, why get another? The one you have might not the the top of the line one, but I wouldn't say it'd be worth it to get another SG when you could have 2 different guitars.
Quote by pete-c
I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago, and chose the strat in the end, I went in the shop not really knowing what to expect of either but I loved the strat's clean tones and tonal variety enough to throw me in the direction of it. I still love SGs though and will definitely get one one day.

If you've already got one SG, why get another? The one you have might not the the top of the line one, but I wouldn't say it'd be worth it to get another SG when you could have 2 different guitars.

Agreed.
Quote by davesg
Hey, i've narrowed it down to 2 guitars from a previous post. I'm gonna get a new guitar soon and i'm stuck between the gibson sg standard and a fender highway one. I currently play in an ac/dc coverband and have a gibson sg special faded. If i were to get a standard i'd replace the pickups with an angus young signature and a tv jones classic. Secondly I've always wanted a strat because my favorite players all exclusivly play on strats. Please post your opinions.

terible reason to buy a instrument. but what ever i would get a strat.
Quote by SimplyStrings
Sell special SG and get standard SG and Strat? Why do you want 2 SGs? They're similar enough.

This. The Special may not fetch the price, but it'll make it less painful. And honestly, two SG's is a bit much.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I'm just not sure if i'd use the strat as much as another sg. It'd be good to have a variety of different guitars but mainly what im playing now is ac/dc stuff, although i've always wanted a strat...............
Unless you get a really expensive sg get a strat, sg's a crap in general, i would never buy one unless it was an SG-3. And honestly just because you have an sg it doesn't mean your gonna get a good angus tone...
Xeron Brigs,I was considering that but i don't want to alter the guitar now. I've had it for almost two years now and i've become attached to everything about it. I'm afraid it wouldn't feel the same if i did.
I'm a big fan of the sg personally, and not just because of angus. It feels nice in my hands, its nice and light, and its not bulky. I'm not very tall so i don't wanna get anything that'd be too much to handle.
Quote by davesg
Xeron Brigs,I was considering that but i don't want to alter the guitar now. I've had it for almost two years now and i've become attached to everything about it. I'm afraid it wouldn't feel the same if i did.

Hey, that's cool, I know how you feel. I was just wondering if you were thinking of a new SG because you weren't satisfied with your current one's sound.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I wouldn't say i'm not satisfied, its just that i want something different, but not too different.
strat all the way. Ihave one and you can get a very vwide range of tone. plus you don't need 2 SGs
You don't need two pairs of pants either, but is it good to have, sure!
Honestly, I'd sell the Special, get the standard, and save up for a good Marshall amp. I don't know what amp you have, but that is all you need. Angus, to a T, played a Gibson SG standard and a good Marshall Head (Usually an 800 or a 900, I think... Maybe a plexi? I forgot). That said, DON'T get the Angus humbucker. It is a good one, in my opinion, nice and high output, but that is the opposite of what you want. Angus' tone came from low output pickups, and outrageously loud marshalls. He had a low level of sound coming from the actual guitar's tone; it was mostly amp. I think he is an actual case of one of the famous people who really just when 10's across the line on the amp, and had no effects.

Conclusion: Get a Marshall amp, SG standard, and sell the Special. That said, doing this assumes most of the money goes towards an amp.
You need to go and play both of them, then pick up a guitar from every brand in the shop and try those too. Then you can make up your mind as to which one you like best.
In the Valley of Vung
The necks are very different.

I don't really like the feel of the Strats. After testing pretty much every guitar out there, I went with my '61 reissue SG and never looked back. Clearly the best sounding guitar I have ever played for my ears.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live