Page 1 of 2
Well I'm looking at those two eq's and I heard they both have great tone but which would have better tone with my setup?

I have a KKV with EMG 81/85, a Marshall MG30FX, and I plan on getting Mogami cables and a Boss overdrive/distortion pedal.
Before you get any of that stuff you're gonna want a better amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Why is it that people always say that you need a better amp? He's asking for pedal advice, not new amp advice. Save the bandwaggoning, idiot.

The dano pedals are a value range, and the MXR stuff is usually better, but they'll both do pretty much the same job. The tone is what you dial into them.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I'm not getting a better amp. Everyone has been saying get a better amp. I got this amp 2 months ago and it works great with everything else. It has nice tone, no matter what anyone else has said.
So besides that fact that I have great tone and no one else thinks so, which eq should I get?
neither, get a ten band, out of those two get the fish and chips since you will be happy with neither and want to get rid of it eventually you will have spent less money on the fish and chips.
~Defiant~
Quote by Juadafi
Why is it that people always say that you need a better amp? He's asking for pedal advice, not new amp advice. Save the bandwaggoning, idiot.

Bandwaggoning? I've gone through the same thing. I wasted money on ODs for my MG back when I started playing. I'm just trying to keep him from wasting money like I did. It's not wise to spend money on pedals for a practice amp. Why is it that every time someone says something bad about an MG or the like it's now considered bandwaggoning? Is it that hard to believe that many people hate this amp and that it genuinely sounds bad?'

EDIT: ^ You do know that 3 of the 10 bands on that are practically useless for guitar, right? And that the 7 remaining bands cover different frequencies than the 6 band? It's all preference when it comes to stuff like that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 7, 2009,
Get the artec 8 band eq plus built in tuner for 50 bucks. True bypass, gain slider, and metal casing, soudns like a much better deal than the dano.

I had the dano, it was a bit noisy with the volume slider up. I'm gonna buy an artec one soon.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
hi, could you explain the useless bands? I have been researching 6(cheapest ones) 7(chinese brand, ebay only) and the MXR 10 band(most expensive). I was leaning towards the 7 band mixer at the time
Quote by pedroskins
well do I really NEED an equalizer to help my tone?

No, you need a new amp to help your tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
as I said before. I have great tone. But what I'm asking is what will an equalizer REALLY do for my sound. More distortion or overdrive/gain but still tone?
It really just gives you more tonal control. Rather than being limited to three frequencies,, you get more, thus being able to add like low mids, and such. Dosen't add gain unless it has a gain slider. Dosen't color tone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by pedroskins
as I said before. I have great tone. But what I'm asking is what will an equalizer REALLY do for my sound. More distortion or overdrive/gain but still tone?

U gonna be flamed.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by JoePerry4life
It really just gives you more tonal control. Rather than being limited to three frequencies,, you get more, thus being able to add like low mids, and such. Dosen't add gain unless it has a gain slider. Dosen't color tone.

So basically if I wanted higher pitched, better pinch harmonics, I could add more treble and mid with the eq?
Quote by pedroskins
So basically if I wanted higher pitched, better pinch harmonics, I could add more treble and mid with the eq?

No. Pinch Harmonics are down to technique more than anything. You can have high pitched harmonics without an amp, and probably with a lot of bass too, they'll just be less emphasized.
Quote by Juadafi
No. Pinch Harmonics are down to technique more than anything. You can have high pitched harmonics without an amp, and probably with a lot of bass too, they'll just be less emphasized.

So basically I am just adding treble, bass, and mid?
Do I really need to do this or would it be wiser to save my money and get different gear I might want
Quote by pedroskins
I'm not getting a better amp. Everyone has been saying get a better amp. I got this amp 2 months ago and it works great with everything else. It has nice tone, no matter what anyone else has said.
So besides that fact that I have great tone and no one else thinks so, which eq should I get?

...whut?

if no one else thinks so, how can you say you have great tone? your tone sounds good to you because you dont want to have to face the fact youve bought POS amp.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

So basically if I wanted higher pitched, better pinch harmonics, I could add more treble and mid with the eq?[/QUOTE

The piches are from your technique.

But essentiallly, iuf you want more mids or more treble, or you want to remove some lower mids.

When I got one, I was blown away but how much of a useful tool it is. Every guitarist should have one imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Ahem... back to the original question.

Of the two, either would be fine, I have the Dano and it's perfectly fine, especially for the price. When all the sliders are set to zero it has zero effect on tone, and it has it's own volume too so it can be used as a boost in a pinch. Not the most bulletproof thing, if you were going to gig with it I'd lean toward the MXR. But perfectly fine for home use.

And I don't use mine much, but I keep it around. I also consider it an essential to keep in your toolbox, much like my Boss line switcher.
Quote by iampeter
hi, could you explain the useless bands? I have been researching 6(cheapest ones) 7(chinese brand, ebay only) and the MXR 10 band(most expensive). I was leaning towards the 7 band mixer at the time

The 2 lowest bands are lower than the lowest fundamental frequency of the guitar. Therefore they would just mess with lower harmonics, which I guess can be useful if you're really picky. The highest band is higher than the highest fundamental frequency on guitar. It is barely more useful than the 2 lowest bands unless, like stated before, you're really picky. When played through a crappy solid state amp that doesn't have those harmonics to begin with, those bands are useless.

If you want an EQ, I would recommend a used Boss GE-7 and mod it for less noise.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Silver-spear94
...whut?

if no one else thinks so, how can you say you have great tone? your tone sounds good to you because you dont want to have to face the fact youve bought POS amp.

No it's not that. The tone is great, have you heard my setup? no.... you haven't so I don't think you can voice an opinion on this. The thing about UG forums is, most people use the same type of gear
My gear is different than most on here and people don't like that. They should face the fact that this setup works for me and the tone is great.
Quote by Juadafi

The dano pedals are a value range, and the MXR stuff is usually better, but they'll both do pretty much the same job. The tone is what you dial into them.

In this case its really hard to improve tone with that amp.

Its not bandwaggoning, its pretty much a general consensus. People can have their own opinion, but recommending a new amp (especially when its an MG) is not bandwaggoning, in this case the amp really is that bad. (I am also a previous owner, you'll find a bunch of us are.)

Have you even tried one?

He's asking for advice about EQ pedals which seems completely clueless about, I'm guessing somebody told him to get one to try to salvage the MG.

And you really should not call somebody an idiot on here, especially someone you don't even know who's just trying to give advice to the TS.

EDIT:

Quote by pedroskins
No it's not that. The tone is great, have you heard my setup? no.... you haven't so I don't think you can voice an opinion on this. The thing about UG forums is, most people use the same type of gear
My gear is different than most on here and people don't like that. They should face the fact that this setup works for me and the tone is great.

Do you really think that MG's and EMG pickups are rare?

Their only blasted ALL over Guitar Center.

Again if you're tone is so great than why are you looking to get an EQ pedal.

Also, just curious but how many amps have you tried? Ever tried a tube amp?

You'd be surprised, if/when you try some high quality amps you realize you've been tricking yourself the whole time.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at Sep 7, 2009,
Quote by pedroskins

Great tone is not fact.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

thanks for the reply!

i was looking at the artec/biyang models (looks durable, not plastic) but its lower priced then the BOSS pedal. the BOSS pedal is more then i would like to pay for -_-

price wise, aiming at the artec cause its about $10-20 cheaper online purchase
Quote by pedroskins

Or, MAYBE. Just MAYBE. You're a noob with no ear for tone.
Most people on this board have been in that type of a position, and as their ear has developed, they've realized the tone they had, that they thought was great, actually sucked. It's a part of the process of becoming a decent guitar player.

Perhaps you should realize, that the people here, who've played longer than you, might know some things you don't-
Quote by JilaX^
Most people on this board have been in that type of a position, and as their ear has developed, they've realized the tone they had, that they thought was great, actually sucked. It's a part of the process of becoming a decent guitar player.

Perhaps you should realize, that the people here, who've played longer than you, might know some things you don't-

Pretty much what I was trying to say.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by iampeter
thanks for the reply!

i was looking at the artec/biyang models (looks durable, not plastic) but its lower priced then the BOSS pedal. the BOSS pedal is more then i would like to pay for -_-

price wise, aiming at the artec cause its about $10-20 cheaper online purchase

I don't have any experience with the Artec. I just suggested the Boss because it's easy to mod. The things you should look for in EQs are the bands that are covered and the noise floor. Happy tone hunting.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by acdclandon
In this case its really hard to improve tone with that amp.

Its not bandwaggoning, its pretty much a general consensus. People can have their own opinion, but recommending a new amp (especially when its an MG) is not bandwaggoning, in this case the amp really is that bad. (I am also a previous owner, you'll find a bunch of us are.)

Have you even tried one?

He's asking for advice about EQ pedals which seems completely clueless about, I'm guessing somebody told him to get one to try to salvage the MG.

And you really should not call somebody an idiot on here, especially someone you don't even know who's just trying to give advice to the TS.

EDIT:

Do you really think that MG's and EMG pickups are rare?

Their only blasted ALL over Guitar Center.

Again if you're tone is so great than why are you looking to get an EQ pedal.

Also, just curious but how many amps have you tried? Ever tried a tube amp?

You'd be surprised, if/when you try some high quality amps you realize you've been tricking yourself the whole time.

Did I say they were rare?
I'm not looking for an EQ pedal for tone. I'm trying to find out about it and maybe boost my treble and mids
I've tried a dozen or so amps and yes I have tried high quality amps, high priced marshall heads and cabinets.
I have gear that works for me, gear that gives me good tone. I am really not the type of person to go blow $700 on an amp that I'm only going to use for practice.

And no no one told me to get an EQ, again looking to boost my treble and mids. And I personally bought the MG because I feel it has good tone and it works with my pickups and guitar.
Quote by JilaX^

I never said you guys don't know anything and I have no doubt some here have played longer than me. I'm just saying I have a setup that works for practice. I'll get a nice head and cabinets when I get a gig setup. As for now I don't need one
Quote by pedroskins

I've tried a dozen or so amps and yes I have tried high quality amps, high priced marshall heads and cabinets.

I think he may be talking about the MG halfstack
Quote by wolvenrick
I think black doom death metal is just plain stupid. go flame on me but i can't hear nothing but shit on those songs with everything in drop A or below. also it could've been without lyrics as you'd never hear them anyway.
thhe bottom line is...

MGs are beginner amps.
EMGs are active pickups and need a tube amp to sound good.
in my opinoon SS + active = cra p tone
your talking about BOSS pedals which in all honesty leave alot to be desired.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by pedroskins
I never said you guys don't know anything and I have no doubt some here have played longer than me. I'm just saying I have a setup that works for practice. I'll get a nice head and cabinets when I get a gig setup. As for now I don't need one

When we saw "new amp", we don't neccesarily mean "bigger amp".

For some reason people think the bigger the amp the better, which really isn't true there are some great amps that are 30 watts and under.

Why do you need more treble/mids if your tone is that good?

I still don't see why, your EQ (amp or pedal) is the way you tweak the sound of the amp.

In short, EQing doesn't make it better necessarily, it makes it different for the better or worse. So why would you go changing the tone that you like?

Specifically which amps have you tried?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Mods: Close this flame fest.
Quote by chrisg7
I think he may be talking about the MG halfstack

it wasn't an MG. It was part of the JVM or JCM Series
Quote by Juadafi
Mods: Close this flame fest.

We're trying to give this guy advice, underneath all the flaming are recommendations.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by pedroskins
Great tone is a seasoned player running a JCM800 boosted through a Mesa cab, some quality effects and a nice guitar. The main point is the seasoned player part though. Your tone is nice for what you need, but does it even compare to Kerry King? Your amp is a budget model, accept it. We aren't ripping on you about it, but if you want the best tonal upgrade to your rig, a new amp would be it.
Quote by Aurex
neither, get a ten band

A lot of people just want a simple EQ, the 10 band has twice the sliders, thats twice the **** he probably doesn't need. If your boosting the front end of a tube amp, get the 10 band. If you just want a bit more mids for leads, go with the 6.

My vote is for MXR.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by acdclandon
When we saw "new amp", we don't neccesarily mean "bigger amp".

For some reason people think the bigger the amp the better, which really isn't true there are some great amps that are 30 watts and under.

Why do you need more treble/mids if your tone is that good?

I still don't see why, your EQ (amp or pedal) is the way you tweak the sound of the amp.

In short, EQing doesn't make it better necessarily, it makes it different for the better or worse. So why would you go changing the tone that you like?

Specifically which amps have you tried?

I ALSO never said a bigger amp is better. I'm not going for an amp because of size.
If I want to add more treble/mids I feel like it could get more of the tone I want. And if it doesn't I can try other things out with it. I'm going for it for different sounds and to see what i can do with my setup.
I'm not simply going to say, "Hey people say I have a POS amp, so I'll go and buy a new one"
I'm saying I'll keep it as a practice amp and get equipment that will help with my amp now with the tone and sound I like, and help me later in the future with better equipment when I get a gig going.
Quote by acdclandon
We're trying to give this guy advice, underneath all the flaming are recommendations.

AGREED
Quote by acdclandon

Save the arthritis you'll eventually get in your fingers from typing a bit longer, and stop giving this guy advice. He's ignorant and everything everyone has said has fallen on unresgistering deaf ears.

Give him time and he'll realise his errors, but seriously, let this thread die already.
Page 1 of 2