Page 1 of 7
Hello, U.S.A. residents of the Pit! I've never been over in the great Red White and Blue, but I've heard of stuff there that doesn't really make any sense. I get it that you use your own dialect, but why did you change the spelling of certain words? For example Colour -> Color, Favour -> Favor, Plough -> Plow. It doesn't make any sense to me. The original words indicate on the pronunciation of the words, whereas "your" spelling makes it sound different. Also, I herd u liek teh non-decimal system. I mean, you use Feet, Miles, Yards, Pounds (of weight), Stones (ditto) and so on. Why? Isn't the decimal system much simpler? How many feet are in a Yard anyway? And do you really do that stuff?
3 feet in a yard, a yard is roughly equivalent to a meter.

The answer is we're awesome and you guys are living in the past of a once great empire. Emigrate now or suffer the consequences.
Quote by jimmyled
Also, I herd u liek teh non-decimal system. I mean, you use Feet, Miles, Yards, Pounds (of weight), Stones (ditto) and so on. Why? Isn't the decimal system much simpler? How many feet are in a Yard anyway? And do you really do that stuff?

it boggles the hell out me as well
Yanks don't use Stones.

Webster decided there should be changes because he wanted American English to be distinct from British English. He had other suggestions that weren't adopted.

They've never got around to changing to the metric system. Too stubborn.

Three feet to a yard which is about 0.91m.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
say the word "our." it's pronounced OW-r, right?

so if it was spelled colour then it would be pronounced col-OWr

that's why we dropped the unnecessary u and just made it color.
Go Veg.
Quote by RU Experienced?
3 feet in a yard, a yard is roughly equivalent to a meter.

The answer is we're awesome and you guys are living in the past of a once great empire. Emigrate now or suffer the consequences.

eh? You're the ones using the imperial system.. I know the metric was napoleonic, but yours is just as bad.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jimmyled
Hello, U.S.A. residents of the Pit! I've never been over in the great Red White and Blue, but I've heard of stuff there that doesn't really make any sense. I get it that you use your own dialect,
Actually, I'm pretty sure most Americans pronounce things better than Brits, as far as my own experience goes.

but why did you change the spelling of certain words? For example Colour -> Color, Favour -> Favor, Plough -> Plow. It doesn't make any sense to me. The original words indicate on the pronunciation of the words, whereas "your" spelling makes it sound different.
So..."our" makes an "er" sound? Doesn't sound right to me.

Also, I herd u liek teh non-decimal system. I mean, you use Feet, Miles, Yards, Pounds (of weight), Stones (ditto) and so on. Why? Isn't the decimal system much simpler? How many feet are in a Yard anyway? And do you really do that stuff?

Your fault. The British system blows. I don't know why we still use it. I also don't know why Brits use stones, but Americans don't.
I think most american spellings fit the word better than how the english spell it. Example: Realize - Realise. Do you say it with an s or a z sound? I say with with a z sound, so the z makes more sense to me. But meths already nailed it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Favorite, Color are the way we spell them, as you said. I sure wouldn't want to add a "u" to either of them.

When I was in Basic Training there was this segment on FoxNews I saw in the chow hall about this organization that is trying to get words changed how they're spelled. Saying people are too dumb to spell them the right way because the sounds are misleading, or some bull****. Like 'cake' "should" be spelled "kake" and 'tough' "should" be spelled "tuff". This group of people either weren't serious, or couldn't spell worth a damn and tried to change our little part of the world to seem even more dumb than we are to the rest of the world.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Well we havn't been taught otherwise. It isn't our fault. If you want to teach everyone when they are born, how to spell words diffently then go for it. Maybe the U.S.A is trying to be different than the rest of the world.
Quote by jimmyled
Hello, U.S.A. residents of the Pit! I've never been over in the great Red White and Blue, but I've heard of stuff there that doesn't really make any sense. I get it that you use your own dialect, but why did you change the spelling of certain words? For example Colour -> Color, Favour -> Favor, Plough -> Plow. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Fewer letters. We're lazy, like that.

Quote by jimmyled
The original words indicate on the pronunciation of the words, whereas "your" spelling makes it sound different.
And we pronounce them a bit differently, too. Color sounds like cull-er here

Quote by jimmyled
Also, I herd u liek teh non-decimal system. I mean, you use Feet, Miles, Yards, Pounds (of weight), Stones (ditto) and so on. Why?
I blame the fucking Brits for that one. But we don't use stones for weight any more, even thought they still do. We keep our stones in our trousers.

Quote by jimmyled
Isn't the decimal system much simpler?
It is.

Quote by jimmyled
How many feet are in a Yard anyway?
Three.

Quote by jimmyled
And do you really do that stuff?
Pretty much, yeah. Old habits are hard to break.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I agree with whoever said the the brits are stuck with the leftovers of a no longer great empire. You cling to outdated traditions, while we took the time to realize how stupid some of it was and make it make sense.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
You're right, the metric system is simpler. But you have to acknowledge that it is hard to switch the entire foundation for our measurements.

And we just have different dialects of English, like how the Chinese have Mandarin and Cantonese, for example. Get over it. Also, neither spelling of a lot of words makes any sense phonetically.

You seem to think that we are still a colony. We aren't English, we are American, which, although not huge, is a pretty significant cultural gap.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
i've always wondered why you kids added the extra u to many words and purposely kept others messed up.

colour is just awkward (and explained above pretty well actually) and theatre? really thea - TRE (i would expect this to be pronounced "tray") which is super weird when compared to theater...

we like things simple and easy to understand and it just seems like you kids just cannot let go of the past...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
We like to do things our own way I guess.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Fat ignorant Americans and their public schooling and McDonald's and stuff would pronounce colour and stuff like that wrong. You like Led Zeppelin, go read why they're not called LEAD Zeppelin, and come back.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
[IMG]http://mathewke.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/metric_system.png?w=437&h=191

it boggles the hell out me as well hey, failmap dude, your map doesn't show the UK in red.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by im not mental
say the word "our." it's pronounced OW-r, right?

so if it was spelled colour then it would be pronounced col-OWr

that's why we dropped the unnecessary u and just made it color.

no its colour, color in english is pronouced Collor.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
And we just have different dialects of English, like how the Chinese have Mandarin and Cantonese, for example. Get over it. Also, neither spelling of a lot of words makes any sense phonetically.

Mandarin and Cantonese are entirely different languages.

Quote by joshua029
i've always wondered why you kids added the extra u to many words and purposely kept others messed up.

colour is just awkward (and explained above pretty well actually) and theatre? really thea - TRE (i would expect this to be pronounced "tray") which is super weird when compared to theater...

we like things simple and easy to understand and it just seems like you kids just cannot let go of the past...

English isn't phonetic; your few spelling changes make no more sense than British equivalents.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
We still use feet and miles and inches and pounds because to make the full switch would cost billions of dollars and it works well enough the way it is. besides, who wants to buy gas in "litres"?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
hey, failmap dude, your map doesn't show the UK in red.

The map shows countries that doesn't use the metric system.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

unless i'm mistaken they made it but they don't use it there anymore.
Quote by Meths

My mistake. It's still somewhat valid to my argument though. Every language has its dialects.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Super Llama
We still use feet and miles and inches and pounds because to make the full switch would cost billions of dollars and it works well enough the way it is. besides, who wants to buy gas in "litres"?

6 billion people.

ok, maybe less..
Brits DO use the metric system.
EDIT: Apart from length, of course.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
This is where Canada pwns. We have the extra u's in words, metric system is way easier (not to mention the standard measurment system in science), yet we use pounds and feet to measure ourselves. I'm Y-feet tall, and weigh X-number of pounds.

Lol at how many places who use imperial on that posted map.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

UK does use the metric system. They kind of exist simultaneously because all the old generations still convert. Most things are metric. Except everyone weighs themselves in stones and pounds.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by archangels666
Actually, I'm pretty sure most Americans pronounce things better than Brits, as far as my own experience goes.

So..."our" makes an "er" sound? Doesn't sound right to me.

Your fault. The British system blows. I don't know why we still use it. I also don't know why Brits use stones, but Americans don't.

Er... I'm not British.... Lulz failz! Anyway, what's the problem with buying Gas (is it really gas, or Petrol?) by the Litre? A system which can be divided by round easy numbers (10, 100) is simpler than random numbers (12 inches to a foot, right? and 3 to a yard, and how many to a mile? And don't get me started on the old British monetary system! At least they changed it though).
The U.S. of A. does whatever it wants, whenever it wants, and to whoever it wants. If you are nice enough and say " please " you just might get a reach around while it buttfucks all your logic and reason.
two and a half men.
Quote by Meths

English isn't phonetic; your few spelling changes make no more sense than British equivalents.

this is where i believe that you're wrong, they make perfect sense. the spellings we find in everyday life are exactly how they're pronounced in the states. i couldn't imagine trying to pronounce many of the words found in your country without the more primitive american english...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Lmao @ the responses in this thread.

I think Americans need to understand - we aren't the ones stuck in the past, the USA is only just trying to push through a public health service.
You are far more conservative (I.E. past-it) than the UK also - look who legalised Civil Partnership's first, while your most liberal state just made it illegal again. You have huge amounts of poverty.
As for us living in past regarding measuring systems? Were the ones using a more up to date version!

Equally I perfectly understand your spellings of words - some of our spellings sound ridicolous when pronounced with any American accent.
The same goes for your spellings pronounced in an English accent... they just sound a bit simple or dumb.
Quote by Sopheydood
Fat ignorant Americans and their public schooling and McDonald's and stuff would pronounce colour and stuff like that wrong. You like Led Zeppelin, go read why they're not called LEAD Zeppelin, and come back.

I KNOW that! But why not use the original spelling of words all around to make life simpler for all concerned (adding a "u", well actually, using it, makes more sense to me... And how do you spell Theatre over yonder?)?
Um, cause we can?
Quote by captaincrunk
You are a slave who is looking for a master, and I hope he beats you.

Quote by rmr024
Toaster ovens are fucking amazing, I don't really see where you were going with that...
It's theater. Much easier.

We changed the spellings because, back then, we just didn't really like Britain very much (I wonder why...) so we wanted to be different.
Quote by joshua029
this is where i believe that you're wrong, they make perfect sense. the spellings we find in everyday life are exactly how they're pronounced in the states. i couldn't imagine trying to pronounce many of the words found in your country without the more primitive american english...

No, the English language has been evolving since it began.

Is antique english's fword (sword) less correct than our sword? No.

You think it makes sense because you're brought up with it. In britain 'gh' can equal an f sound, often in America it doesn't. The word 'anal' pronounced by Brits and americans the same would be pronounced 'ah-nahl' by an italian.

So, what is your point? We assign different meanings to different groupings of letters and they don't make sense to each other because we were taught different things.

EDIT: For pedants out there, I know what the 'f' in 'fword' was indeed an S. just an example of how what we see as different letters can signify the same or indeed a different thing.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Theater, Liter, Meter. I know just about everyone spells meter "meter", so why don't they spell theater and liter the same?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original