I found this attentuator on ebay for really cheap, 50 bucks, and it has pretty good reviews.

Just wondering, I know it has to between the amp and the speaker, so the input of the amp and the return of the fx loop? Can someone clear this up please.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160360074843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm not advertising just showing so I think its ok.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Sep 7, 2009,
Huh? If it's going in the effects loop it isn't an attenuator, it's basically a volume pedal or volume pot in a box, and not really an attenuator. I true attenuator goes between the amp and the cab and often costs more than $50. Link to the auction?
No, its actually an attentuator, not a volume box.

I just want to know how to set it up.

Its an ebay link so I can't link it.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
According to the ebay link, it actually is an attenuator. You would need to put it, as stated in the ad, "between the head and the speaker".

This means that unless you're using the combo as a head, you can't do it, as far as I know.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator
Quote by JoePerry4life

Guitar -> Amp -> Attenuator -> Speaker

edit for more complex and better way of explaining:

Guitar -> Pedals -> Your Amp's Pre-Amp -> Pedals in effects loop -> Power amp -> Attenuator -> Speaker.

If you have a combo, you might have to wire in a jack to your speaker and amp.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Last edited by Juadafi at Sep 7, 2009,
Yeah, it looks like it is just a master volume box.

EDIT: Or is it? It's kind of vague sounding as I read it again. I wouldn't trust it myself as it looks too much like a volume control and not really an attenuator.
Last edited by CJRocker at Sep 7, 2009,
it LOOKS like a master volume box, but it goes between the power amp and the speaker, not between the pre and power amp. so its either a great deal or it will damage your amp because it will fail leaving no load or not enough load on your OT.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I have a combo, so I would need to disconnect the wires from my speaker, wire though to an output jack, then wire my speaker to another jack and put this thing in between the power amp and the speaker?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
I have a combo, so I would need to disconnect the wires from my speaker, wire though to an output jack, then wire my speaker to another jack and put this thing in between the power amp and the speaker?

i dont think you should buy this. the fact that it looks very cheaply made means it will probably stop working at some point, and then there wont be enough resistance thus destroying your Output transformer. save up for a real attenuator.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by JoePerry4life

If the amp speaker doesn't have a jack plug, yes indeed

Use good heavy wire and don't work on it while the amp is on - apart from the risk of damage, speaker cables can carry high voltages.
It does has an external speaker output, put I don't have an extra speaker. Yeah I think I may pass because I'm gonna have to buy an extra speaker cab.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Its a volume box. Not an attenuator.

If you want a good (fantastic really) cheap attenuator, Weber MiniMASS is the way to go (RIP Ted)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by JoePerry4life

I posted before you linked it.

That's a simple resistor-based attenuator. It works. Not that great, but it works. I would be concerned about its heat handling abilities. Resistor based ones can get hot.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 7, 2009,
It's probably worth a try, considering you're sure the impedance is all squared away (so as not to blow your output tranny etc.).

It's not like those Weber attenuators are THAT good anyway - they do the job but you might as well start cheaper. You can get these things for like $20 if you look around ebay a bit might not have the same name. These things can be made at home for dirt cheap.

I still like the Weber attenuators though.
-Mike
aren't the XXX combos the kind of combos where the built in speaker is connected to a 1/4 inch jack on the back of the amp?if so, then you would be able to use it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.